You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Barrywelsh

Has anyone flew a pug to Aus?

We are trying to decide whether to take our 8 year old pug with us, or should we leave him with family?

has anyone been in this position before? 

How did they handle the flight/heat?

17 minutes ago, Barrywelsh said:

We are trying to decide whether to take our 8 year old pug with us, or should we leave him with family?

has anyone been in this position before? 

How did they handle the flight/heat?

Hi, haven’t flown this breed myself but maybe a discussion with  @BobPetairUK. They are UK based and are vets so would be best to advise on the flight etc as there are extra risks with a brachy breed. Some airlines won’t fly them, can’t remember which ones and some only fly at certain times of the year.

The heat could be an issue so walk early or late, keep off of scorching paths/tarmac/concrete etc. common sense stuff really. Plenty of dogs live in Australia so it’s doable.

Good luck with your move. I’m sure others will be along with more experience than me! 😀

Hi Barry

There are threads on here about flying snub nosed dogs to Australia. It certainly can be done, but the best advice i can give is that if you have a good home for your dog in UK then that is a really good option for your dog - especially at 8 years old. Having said that, if you dont have that option then your pug can definitely fly and we have flown a lot. There is a fractionally greater risk to them flying than for a normal faced dog, but the risk is still small.

Have a read of this to give you a tonne more information https://www.petairuk.com/taking-pets-to-australia/dogs-australia

Petair UK - the only pet travel service in Uk to be run by vets. We offer the most comprehensive services to easily and safely transport your pets from UK to Australia

www.petairuk.com

Hi Barrywelsh

the other tip is to get the rabies vaccination and blood sample anyway as that is relatively inexpensive (in emigration terms!) and then if anything changes at the last minute with whoever may be having your dog here, you will still have the option to take your dog.

• Like 1

Petair UK - the only pet travel service in Uk to be run by vets. We offer the most comprehensive services to easily and safely transport your pets from UK to Australia

www.petairuk.com

Ok thanks Bob.

we are giving it some serious thought at the moment and we are trying to estimate the risk.

He is in good health but will be 9 at the time of departure, based on your experience would you hazard to guess as to the risk of a problem happening? E.g 25% risk?

We  did bring our Shar Pei another snub nose dog and he was and is fine 

He was only 3 years old though and could not transit in Dubai from end f May until i think August because of his bree 

Hi Barry. the risk is much less than that. around 1 in a 100 i would estimate (no science behind this, just my opinion!) as log as he is fit healthy and ideally lean

www.petairuk.com

Hi Bob, 

thats great news, I’m pretty sure we will go for it then. I previously had a quote from Joanne, I’ve  sent her an email yesterday with adding some extra options.

thanks 

Get the rabies work started soon and you dont need to make any big decisions yet 🙂

www.petairuk.com