suburb in The shires

thebigmove2017

43 minutes ago, thebigmove2017 said:

Affordable is possibly the wrong word. I know its expensive but anything around $600-$700 per week. Cheaper would be a bonus but suburb is more inportant

How many bedrooms?  How long a commute are you willing to accept (assuming you're working in the city) - alternatively, where will you be working?  

Sorry for all the questions but you're asking about such a huge area, we need to narrow it down somehow!  

Check out domain.com.au and realestate.com.au.

$600-$700 a week is a low budget for a house.  In most beachside or near-beachside suburbs, you'd pay that for a small flat.  Is there a reason you've chosen Sydney rather than another city?

Edited by Marisawright

How many bedrooms?  How long a commute are you willing to accept (assuming you're working in the city) - alternatively, where will you be working?  
Sorry for all the questions but you're asking about such a huge area, we need to narrow it down somehow!  
Check out domain.com.au and realestate.com.au.
$600-$700 a week is a low budget for a house.  In most beachside or near-beachside suburbs, you'd pay that for a small flat.  Is there a reason you've chosen Sydney rather than another city?
4bed ideally, it doesnt necessarily have to be sydney my husband is electrician and im a midwife so would need to be close to hospital/ construction. We want to settle in perth but need to do 2years in NSW to fulfil our 190 visa. Have never been to NSW so was just looking for guidance on suburbs to look at. We are completely open tk anywhere in NSW to be completely honest but near the beach would be ideal as when we lived in perth we lived near the beach amd loved it. Once we do our 2 years we will be heading back to WA

1 hour ago, thebigmove2017 said:
10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

4bed ideally, it doesnt necessarily have to be sydney my husband is electrician and im a midwife so would need to be close to hospital/ construction. We want to settle in perth but need to do 2years in NSW to fulfil our 190 visa. Have never been to NSW so was just looking for guidance on suburbs to look at. We are completely open tk anywhere in NSW to be completely honest but near the beach would be ideal as when we lived in perth we lived near the beach amd loved it. Once we do our 2 years we will be heading back to WA

In that case, I'd strongly recommend you avoid Sydney altogether.

You're lucky having occupations where you can find jobs outside Sydney in the regional cities.  I would advise you to aim for Newcastle.   It's the next biggest city, rents are half the price and you'll have a more relaxed lifestyle, a shorter commute, and a much better chance of being near the beach.  In fact the beaches in Newcastle are nicer and you're near the wineries, too.

Sydney is by far the most expensive capital city in Australia.  Melbourne is next, with rents about two-thirds those of Sydney.  Everywhere else is cheaper. Moving to Sydney is like moving to London.  If you can avoid it, you should.

Edited by Marisawright

13 minutes ago, thebigmove2017 said:

Thank you, i will have a look into Newcastle. is there any specific suburbs i should avoid/ look closer at?

I'm out of date but the areas to avoid used to be Windale, Mount Hutton, Gateshead, Woodbury.  They all have big areas of housing commission houses (i.e. council estates).  Best suburbs - The Hill, New Lambton, Charlestown, Merewether.   

The inner city suburbs used to be run down but they were all getting gentrified when I left NSW so I'm guessing many of them would be nice now. 

I used to work with two men who got transferred from our Newcastle office to Sydney.  They commuted all the way (two hours each way!), because they refused to move their families to Sydney.  They felt the lifestyle in Newcastle was so much better for their kids. Of course they were both looking for jobs back in Newcastle but being in insurance, it wasn't easy and they both did the commute for a couple of years, from memory.

Take a look at Homely.com.au, there's a "Suburb Reviews" section that's informative.

Edited by Marisawright