Looking to emigrate to WA and seeking advice from business owners.

Welshy

13 hours ago, Welshy said:

I like the culture, weather, peoples 'can do' attitudes and the lifestyle. Really sorry more of you don't seem to feel the same, I'd urge you to spend a few years in the UK and you'll realise what you've got.

I think most people on here are well aware of what both countries can offer. People are different, what you think will work for you sometimes doesn't work for others.

Edited by s713
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, s713 said:

I think most people on here are well aware of what both countries can offer. People are different, what you think will work for you sometimes doesn't work for others.

I could easily live back in Scotland for the best part of the year - I would find the winters a bit hard going now though.  I know a lot of people don't mind the UK winters but they are not for me anymore.  I also don't like hot weather   .........................  fussy old dame that's me.  Today in Devonport 26C is forecast   ...............  much hotter on the mainland with the temp just across the Bass Strait in Melbourne of 42C today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Welshy said:

Guys, honestly stop whinging. emoji849.pngemoji6.png

I'm afraid you'll have to get used to us.

We see so many people on these forums, coming to Australia to "live their dream", going on about how wonderful Australia is, how much more laidback (ha!), how great the weather is, etc.

They uproot their whole family at great expense, then a year later they're back on here again, complaining about the long working hours or the long commute, the stressful corporate culture, the sweltering summer heat, etc etc.  

That's why we tend to focus on the negatives of Australia, because the average migrant is so starry-eyed, they're closing their eyes to any possible downsides. We know they're going to ignore most of what we say, but perhaps some of it might sink in enough for them to be slightly prepared when they get here.

Like I said, the reality is that there are pros and cons to both countries.  We have people on these forums living happy lives in both countries. It comes down to personal preference, not which country is better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That's why we tend to focus on the negatives of Australia, because the average migrant is so starry-eyed, they're closing their eyes to any possible downsides. We know they're going to ignore most of what we say, but perhaps some of it might sink in enough for them to be slightly prepared when they get here.

I think that can come across though that people are trying (very hard) to put people off.  We can only share experiences as everyone is different.   I do wonder, if as you say people ignore what's said, not because of the content but the way it's put across.  My philosophy, is that every potential migrant is not an idiot and will (like we did) have made some efforts to do some research before uprooting our families.

4 hours ago, ali said:

My philosophy, is that every potential migrant is not an idiot and will (like we did) have made some efforts to do some research before uprooting our families.

One would hope that the research includes the ability to see that some people have bad experiences and some have good. 

OP. its nothing to do with whinging, its just people telling their realistic stories.

When I first went to oz, more than 20 years ago, I had been talking to someone online, who I then met in person. In those days forums were less well-known, and facebook unheard of, so meeting an online friend was a big thing. Online she had told me how wonderful Queensland was, extolled its virtues, made it sound like paradise When I met her she didn't have a good word to say for the place and was actually planning a move to Canada. She told me she had only told me the positive stuff cos she didn't want to put me off. Sad thing that she would not have put me off, I would still have made up my own mind, but I would have been more prepared for things like the heat and humidity - whpch she told me was no worse than I would get in somewhere like Bournemouth!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

One would hope that the research includes the ability to see that some people have bad experiences and some have good. 

OP. its nothing to do with whinging, its just people telling their realistic stories.

When I first went to oz, more than 20 years ago, I had been talking to someone online, who I then met in person. In those days forums were less well-known, and facebook unheard of, so meeting an online friend was a big thing. Online she had told me how wonderful Queensland was, extolled its virtues, made it sound like paradise When I met her she didn't have a good word to say for the place and was actually planning a move to Canada. She told me she had only told me the positive stuff cos she didn't want to put me off. Sad thing that she would not have put me off, I would still have made up my own mind, but I would have been more prepared for things like the heat and humidity - whpch she told me was no worse than I would get in somewhere like Bournemouth!

I think people are aware that people have bad experiences, I used to seek out those stories - some I dismissed because I wouldn't have made my mind up to go home as I landed and didn't like the drive from the airport (one story), or that I couldn't get an item of food (another), others, gave us food for thought and made us discuss those possible eventualities.  Whilst nothing prepares you for the reality of moving to another country and living and working .. at the end of the day it has to be your journey - good or bad.

@Welshy I've come over and are living my dream. I have more money, SPARE TIME and work opportunities here. You sound switched on and know what you are getting yourself involved with. I don't know if you have children, but mine love it here. That is my realistic account of migrating to WA. I'm in Mandurah though not Perth as such. Of course there is negatives but I don't think it's as bad as some of the posts on this thread! Good luck to you.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Lotusmimile said:

hi Spherical,

after 1 week, CO will contact to notice that he receives your EOI by email. after 1 month (from sending EOI), you will receive nomination. maybe 18 Jan 2020, you will receive nominate. good luck to you. wish you have nomination soon.

Thanks Lotusmimile