Jump to content
Jamwolf

Caught in the Middle

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I'm always a bit perplexed when people lob the old 'outdoors lifestyle' / beach and BBQ thing into the conversation with potential returnees like it's some kind of knock out blow! For us as a family those things just aren't factors in our lives here. I can't remember the last time we had a BBQ. Our nearest beach is St Kilda and that's an area best avoided for all kinds of reasons, and I was a keen fell-walker back in the U.K., whereas I seldom leave Melbourne these days unless it's for a trip home or to Tasmania. That's not being disrespectful to the many, many folk who love the whole beach/pool/BBQ experience, but equally it doesn't cut it with everyone. 

I probably spend more time outdoors in the UK than I ever did in Perth. When it gets hot, the last thing you want to do is go for a long walk. Whilst I loved the beach and surfed whenever I could, my parents weren't beach people and we lived far from it. But I do like the more even annual sunlight in Australia. The dark months in the UK I find quite hard.

  • Like 5

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newjez said:

I probably spend more time outdoors in the UK than I ever did in Perth. When it gets hot, the last thing you want to do is go for a long walk. Whilst I loved the beach and surfed whenever I could, my parents weren't beach people and we lived far from it. But I do like the more even annual sunlight in Australia. The dark months in the UK I find quite hard.

I definitely spend more time outdoors here. I used to walk in Aus, but you had to get out really early, and it was almost impossible in the summer, I really used to struggle. The kids hated walking there too. Here I go out often, even when the weather isn't too good, I just put on better clothing! The only times I don't go out is if it has been snowing, or if it has been particularly wet, because we live out on a farm and the footpaths get too muddy to walk on. We were't really beach people in Aus, and whilst it was nice to have the swimming pool in the summer, it wasn't used for eight months of the year. Here, the kids go swimming every week, so they probably swim more than they did in Aus. I actually quite like the dark in the winter, but then it doesn't affect my mood. I just see it as a time for semi-hibernation and quiet reflection of what has gone and what is to come. I am careful with my vitamin D levels though, because I was deficient in that even when we lived in Australia!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, newjez said:

I probably spend more time outdoors in the UK than I ever did in Perth. When it gets hot, the last thing you want to do is go for a long walk. Whilst I loved the beach and surfed whenever I could, my parents weren't beach people and we lived far from it. But I do like the more even annual sunlight in Australia. The dark months in the UK I find quite hard.

We have just come in from having a meal at the local pub.  It's nearly 9pm a lovely still evening and not dark yet.  Not everywhere in Australia is stinking hot and dark at 7pm in the summer.  My sister is thinking of coming here every year at this time.   Do hope she does.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have lost 12 kg since moving back from Oz simply because I am outdoors more and excersing more. In Oz we lived next to the beach and the first couple of years we went a lot, but after that, pretty much never other than to walk the dog. Yesterday we were out walking a forest trail, day before a walk along a river, tomorrow, Falls of Clyde, Saturday will be Strathclyde Park as my wife is doing a Park Run there. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I have lost 12 kg since moving back from Oz simply because I am outdoors more and excersing more. In Oz we lived next to the beach and the first couple of years we went a lot, but after that, pretty much never other than to walk the dog. Yesterday we were out walking a forest trail, day before a walk along a river, tomorrow, Falls of Clyde, Saturday will be Strathclyde Park as my wife is doing a Park Run there. 

I lost about 30kg since being back in UK.  I had lost the first 20kg in Aus by not eating things I am intolerant to but now I walk all the time and I have very rarely not been able to go for my walk - since buying my first Fitbit in 2013, I've walked about 13,000 miles!  For a couch potato who would struggle to walk the 1km to the local shop, I think it's been brilliant. Only thing is that I live in one of the flattest counties so my altitude achievement is pathetic!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quoll said:

I lost about 30kg since being back in UK.  I had lost the first 20kg in Aus by not eating things I am intolerant to but now I walk all the time and I have very rarely not been able to go for my walk - since buying my first Fitbit in 2013, I've walked about 13,000 miles!  For a couch potato who would struggle to walk the 1km to the local shop, I think it's been brilliant. Only thing is that I live in one of the flattest counties so my altitude achievement is pathetic!

I have to admit I love my Fitbit. Just wish I had one of the new ones you can swim with.


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Quoll said:

I lost about 30kg since being back in UK.  I had lost the first 20kg in Aus by not eating things I am intolerant to but now I walk all the time and I have very rarely not been able to go for my walk - since buying my first Fitbit in 2013, I've walked about 13,000 miles!  For a couch potato who would struggle to walk the 1km to the local shop, I think it's been brilliant. Only thing is that I live in one of the flattest counties so my altitude achievement is pathetic!

I would go stir crazy if I couldn't get outside and walk/cycle or whatever every day.  I've not had a weight problem as such but I do like to feel fit and well.  On one of my walks I climb 30 steep steps up from sea level.  There are also a fair few hilly areas to walk up and down.  You climbed Ben Nevis  recently - I make do with the easy side of Mount Roland.  😀  The difficult side is for rock climbers and I'm not up for that though I used to rock climb during may late teens when I lived in the Lake District.  I hadn't swum in the sea latterly in Sydney but I swim here every day.  We live very close to the beach so why not.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I find it good to focus the brain this way, if somehow the option to move(/stay) in either Australia or to the UK was removed - which option would you truly be more upset about? If you're truly honest with yourself you'll find the answer.

SOOOOO TRUE! imagine opening a letter that stated "You're residence in xxxxx has now been terminated, you have 14 days to leave" heart pounding, blood racing..... Which is the worst option? A Friend of mine rents a 4bed bungalow with a pool for less than 300 £/MTH (what's that 530 $/MTH) in Chiang Mai, no beaches) just an example; he's English but there's plenty of Oz expats the too.... As much as I'd love the Oz weather (I live in London) I couldn't afford too but Thailand appeals given that level.... More ramblings sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 The thing is, people who prefer a quiet life don't understand what you're talking about. Where you see buzz, they see crowds and stress!
I talk about my niece (and me) not liking Perth because it's too quiet, and instantly I'm inundated with people telling me there's "lots to do".   But when they say that, they're missing the point.  
It's not just about having things to do, it's about atmosphere.  There are some cities which just feel exciting to be in, and others which feel like you're under a blanket.  People who like a quiet life probably love the secure feeling of being under the blanket, whereas those of us who like the "buzz" just feel suffocated. 

I hear that Australia has the electric garage door syndrome.... Where you go from you're Aircon car into your house and you never see our speak to your neighbors. Or cities without the buzz like in England (not the same drinking culture after work) .... Thing is it is horses for courses, I'd love an electric garage door, think I like my own company toooooo much toooooo lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay2016 said:


I hear that Australia has the electric garage door syndrome.... Where you go from you're Aircon car into your house and you never see our speak to your neighbors. Or cities without the buzz like in England (not the same drinking culture after work) .... Thing is it is horses for courses, I'd love an electric garage door, think I like my own company toooooo much toooooo lol

I never really spoke much to my neighbors in UK, we would all pull into our drives in our front gardens after work, and park in the garage. What’s the difference.

Our front gardens aren’t fenced off here where we live, so more occasions to chat, plus we have a street party every Christmas, it’s quite usual here, never happened in Uk, Obviously not at Christmas, but never in summer either.

We don’t live in each other’s pockets, but do look out for each other, collect mail when away, our neighbours know we can call on each other if needed any time. We used to help our next door neighbour when her husband sadly had several falls.

Neighbourly but keep your distance is best.

Sorry gone off topic.

All the best to the OP with your decision. Some posters prefer living in UK, others prefer Australia, each to their own,  no one really should feel the need to justify their decision by comparing Countries, we all have different reasons of where we are happier.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×