Can you be on a tourist visa in Australia and apply for a 190 or 489 visa?

chris63863

Yes. But, if on entry, they suspect you are not. Genuine tourist, they will refuse entry. This may result in a ban on applying for other visas. Also, once the tourist visa expires, a bridging visa would be granted, but with the same conditions as the tourist visa - no work rights and visa processing at the moment can take many months. Just to reinforce the first point, we have had members even recently fall foul of it and be refused entry at the border. 

My advice is to apply off shore. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chris63863 said:
If you can't be on a tourist visa to do that,what visa can you be on?

I see a pattern in your posts. It looks as though you don't qualify for a permanent visa and you are desperately looking for ways round the rules.  

If there is ANY way for you to get a visa for Australia right now, then a good migration agent will be able to tell you.   They are working with those rules every single day and they know them inside-out.  

Some of the agents on these forums will give you a free initial consultation.   Book one.   If they tell you there's a way for you to migrate, save up your money and hire them to get you in.  If they say there's no way, then it's time to accept it and get on with your life.  It's silly to think you can find a solution the experts haven't thought of.

20 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I see a pattern in your posts. It looks as though you don't qualify for a permanent visa and you are desperately looking for ways round the rules.  

If there is ANY way for you to get a visa for Australia right now, then a good migration agent will be able to tell you.   They are working with those rules every single day and they know them inside-out.  

Some of the agents on these forums will give you a free initial consultation.   Book one.   If they tell you there's a way for you to migrate, save up your money and hire them to get you in.  If they say there's no way, then it's time to accept it and get on with your life.  It's silly to think you can find a solution the experts haven't thought of.

I have already talked to migration agents and paid them good money for more detailed personal advice.

There are only very few good agents that offer a free first consultation.Plus there is a limit on how much you can ask for free(totally understandable since that’s their job). But not really for me as a young student.

Questions like these come to my mind quite often and seeing how expensive it is($150+) to ask even more questions,it deters me from doing so I ask them on here for free instead. 

I know most people on here aren’t professionals and I’m not looking for legal advice on here. Mainly for information. 

Lastly,I’m not ready to actually immigrate to Australia now. It’s something that might happen in a few years from now but for now I’m just asking questions to find out about certain things should I decide to move there after all(I’m aware things and laws change very quickly so something that might be the case now,might not be in 4 years from now). 

39 minutes ago, chris63863 said:

IThere are only very few good agents that offer a free first consultation.Plus there is a limit on how much you can ask for free(totally understandable since that’s their job). ...

Lastly,I’m not ready to actually immigrate to Australia now. It’s something that might happen in a few years from now but for now I’m just asking questions to find out about certain things should I decide to move there after all(I’m aware things and laws change very quickly so something that might be the case now,might not be in 4 years from now). 

If you are not moving for another three or four years, then I wouldn't even bother asking questions, because the rules are changing so fast.  However, the one thing you can know for sure - it will get more and more and more difficult, because community attitudes to immigration are hardening, and the government is responding to that.  Many occupations have already been slashed from the lists already and temp visas are more restrictive.  

I know @WRussell offers a free initial consultation and he's got a good reputation.  But in your shoes, I wouldn't consult him until you're ready to commit to the move.  I don't think it's possible, in the current situation, for any agent to advise what you should study or what experience you should get to be eligible in four years' time.

Edited by Marisawright

8 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Also, once the tourist visa expires, a bridging visa would be granted, but with the same conditions as the tourist visa - no work rights  

Bridging visa conditions will vary depending on what visa you are on when you apply and what visa you are applying for.

In this case, the bridging visa would have nil conditions.

Hi all. I am currently holding a visitor visa subclass 600 and I have visited my wife in australia for 2 weeks on march 2018. Now i have lodge a 189 visa and awaitng the grant. meanwhile i am planning to travel to australia on jan 2019 on same tourist visa. Could this effect my 189 visa ? Meanwhile i am holding a multiple entry tourist visa on which must not travel date is feb 2019.