Australian Equivalent to Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Learning & Development

LaurenElizabeth

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anybody has travelled to Australia and had a Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Learning & Development (Childcare/Early Years Educator). I am wondering what the equivalent qualification would be in Australia or if it is recognised? And whether this qualification is enough for employers to consider sponsorship? 

Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/12/2018 at 21:00, LaurenElizabeth said:

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anybody has travelled to Australia and had a Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Learning & Development (Childcare/Early Years Educator). I am wondering what the equivalent qualification would be in Australia or if it is recognised? And whether this qualification is enough for employers to consider sponsorship? 

Thanks! 

Hi Lauren, 

OK lets start with the equivalence. Your best option is to contact the Australian Institute of Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL). They would give you an answer on whether that is equivalent to an Australian qualification. Alternatively the state teaching authority (In Victoria that would be the Victorian Institute of Teaching - VIT). I see this is listed in the working holiday visa so be aware that you may well need to register with every single state you plan to work in - and it's not a short process. I would advise you to get yourself a police check from the UK in advance of heading over here (google ACRO police check). That will save you time and pain on arrival! Also if you are planning to work in the education field make sure you have your qualifications with you. I would advise having the originals and multiple certified copies with you in preparation for needing them. 

OK to sponsorship - I'm afraid I may be the bearer of bad news here. Employer sponsorship in education is pretty much non existent. State nomination is available as part of the independent skilled migration process (sub class 190). This gives you an additional 5 points to the immigration points test. On that note as you are interested in a working holiday visa and possibly migration you have age on your side. Check the current skilled occupations list in the immigration website. See if your occupation is listed - be aware early childhood teachers in Australia need to be bachelors qualified - diploma qualified will only allow you to be an assistant in the room which may not be on the SOL. Assuming it is run through the points test and see how many you are entitled to. 65 is the official requirement but realistically you will need 75+ as nobody below this has been invited to apply for a permanent visa in over a year (the invitations are public record). Assuming your job isn't on the SOL or you don't have enough points - maybe look at a student visa. This will allow you to work 40 hours per fortnight and get bachelors qualified which adds points to your visa for the qualification but also 5 more for Australian study! 

Lots of info to process - feel free to ask any questions. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For working in childcare as an educator, the assessing authority is ACECQA (AITSL assess teachers)

Have a look here: https://www.acecqa.gov.au/qualifications/nqf-approved

At a glance, your edexcel qualification is listed as a diploma level equivalent which means you’d be able to work as an early childhood educator.

I can’t give any advice on using these qualifications for visa purposes as I’m not familiar with the skilled lists, but do bear in mind that a teacher and educator are two different professions.

• Thanks 1