Citizenship application but moving

Nikkiroon

Hi there 

I am due to apply for Australian citizenship early next year however it looks likely I will have to move back to the UK not long after to sort out family and finance matters, for a period of time.. anything from 6-12 months. 

Does anyone know how the move may affect my application? And whether it would hinder it in any way ?

Thanks 

Hi there 
I am due to apply for Australian citizenship early next year however it looks likely I will have to move back to the UK not long after to sort out family and finance matters, for a period of time.. anything from 6-12 months. 
Does anyone know how the move may affect my application? And whether it would hinder it in any way ?
Thanks 

I think if I was in your position I would just make sure I am able to return to Australia once I’ve sorted out my U.K. affairs ie. That my travel facility on my permanent visa is in date, or that I have a residents return visa in place, then I would just apply for citizenship once eligible on my return.
If you apply before you go, check whether you have to notify them that you are going to be out of the country,
you may have to return at fairly short notice for your interview/test and then return for the ceremony, have to wait in Australia for your Aussie passport before returning to the U.K. in order to re enter Australia as your visa will no longer be valid.... it all sounds a bit hard [emoji4]
That is of course if it were all to happen in that space of time, given that citizenship processing times are averaging a lot higher than 12 months.

I would apply when you are eligible.  Processing times are now 20 months or so.  You should be in Aust for the test and approval but you can ask to take it in the UK depending on your reasons.  You can always delay the test when you get the date for it as they send it by e mail.

You should as mentioned though make sure your current travel facility will not run out whilst abroad without having an RRV in place as this will reset your citizenship time.