Living in Newport / Bilgola

desreb

Hi,

We're currently looking for areas and rentals around Newport/Bilgola, and I was wondering what the local issues and future developments might be.

Discussion forums are always the best place for this kind of info, so I was wondering if anyone is aware of any for residents in this area? I'm aware of Northern Beaches Mums on Facebook, and also Northern Beaches Poms - but I don't necessarily have to restrict to Mums or Poms 🙂

D

• 1 month later...

Hey

These are both lovely suburbs. We lived in Newport for about 2.5 years and liked it very much - but recently we moved to Mona Vale as it was better suited for us, better transport for work and for the kids to go to school, with B Line bus service etc and little nearer to the CBD. It's about an hour to Wynyard in the morning on the bus depending on whether you get stuck in traffic between Mosman and York St (which you often to, but this can't be helped...)

When we were at Newport, they changed the bus service and brought in the B line, and I ended up driving from Newport down to Narrabeen every day and it took maybe an extra 15 mins each way. All 1st world problems, but in general, the higher up the peninsula you go, the more hassle it is getting around on public transport and the more conservative it gets with resident groups trying to stop any and all changes to ways of life. It was these lot that blocked the b line bus going to Newport. Not really a major problem if you are older, richer and don't use public transport, but less useful for our teenage kids and for CBD workers.

Thanks! We moved here two weeks ago and are now living in Bilgola Plateau.

You're right about the transport - I mainly work from home, with some (expensible) travel to airport and city, so I accepted that on the basis that I won't have to go in so often.

I did see that the Newport Resident's association had blocked the B-Line, and I was confused as to why, as I had seen Newport as a good option a couple of years ago on the basis that there were plans to extend it here. It took some digging, but it seemed that in Mona Vale, after extending the B-Line, they started re-zoning residential areas from 2 to 4 story, so as to be able to build higher apartments to accommodate the larger demand for residential property as a result of the improved feasibility of commuting to the city. I suspect that might be a slightly biased viewpoint by those against, but you can see that those who live in the area want to, well, keep it for themselves!, and evidently they won that one.

They would also have changed the beach carpark into a commuters car park, and you can definitely see the lack of appeal of that happening.

So, for the moment, they have the B-Line to Newport, which is indeed more comfortable than a normal bus for such a long commute, and almost possible to work on the top with a small laptop, headphones, and some determination. The B-Line gets you to/from Mona Vale, and then you get a Keoride (like state-run Uber) to your house for a flat $3.10, which is basically awesome! Unless you arrive after they stop running.... or there's a 20min wait as opposed to the more usual 5 minute... or it's raining... or they don't renew the 6-month trial of the service... you get the picture.

1 hour ago, desreb said:

Thanks! We moved here two weeks ago and are now living in Bilgola Plateau.

You're right about the transport - I mainly work from home, with some (expensible) travel to airport and city, so I accepted that on the basis that I won't have to go in so often.

I did see that the Newport Resident's association had blocked the B-Line, and I was confused as to why, as I had seen Newport as a good option a couple of years ago on the basis that there were plans to extend it here. It took some digging, but it seemed that in Mona Vale, after extending the B-Line, they started re-zoning residential areas from 2 to 4 story, so as to be able to build higher apartments to accommodate the larger demand for residential property as a result of the improved feasibility of commuting to the city. I suspect that might be a slightly biased viewpoint by those against, but you can see that those who live in the area want to, well, keep it for themselves!, and evidently they won that one.

They would also have changed the beach carpark into a commuters car park, and you can definitely see the lack of appeal of that happening.

So, for the moment, they have the B-Line to Newport, which is indeed more comfortable than a normal bus for such a long commute, and almost possible to work on the top with a small laptop, headphones, and some determination. The B-Line gets you to/from Mona Vale, and then you get a Keoride (like state-run Uber) to your house for a flat $3.10, which is basically awesome! Unless you arrive after they stop running.... or there's a 20min wait as opposed to the more usual 5 minute... or it's raining... or they don't renew the 6-month trial of the service... you get the picture.

Indeed. We know well as we only moved from Newport (on the road up to the plateau, Cheryl Crescent) to MV just before Xmas. My teen daughters go to school at freshwater senior campus (older one) and Pittwater HS (younger one), so we took the opportunity to make it easier for them. All in all, you can't go wrong around there. Lovely part of the world! 😉 

Newport public is a good school. My boy goes there and we like it.

Edited by Captain Roberto

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, Tootsie said:

🙂

Lucky you

A most glorious place to live

🙂

It was - we were on the north slope and the view of West head to the ocean plus all of Pittwater north of Clareville was amazing.

We’ve just bought in Avalon Beach with views of Careel Bay, and that’s our “forever home”. After 8 moves in 7 years, including three to/from/to Oz, we finally settled, just in time for Christmas.

End of an era. Start of another.

D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is the situation with hospitals on the Northern Beaches? Have they closed Mona Vale and others to centralize everything in that big new place in Frenchs Forest? I remember reading about teething problems in the Sydney Morning Herald.

I lived in Narrabeen in the 1980s which I liked but did not like commuting to the city.

6 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

What is the situation with hospitals on the Northern Beaches? Have they closed Mona Vale and others to centralize everything in that big new place in Frenchs Forest? I remember reading about teething problems in the Sydney Morning Herald.

I lived in Narrabeen in the 1980s which I liked but did not like commuting to the city.

Yes, they have a "first aid plus" centre at Mona Vale, with the ability to handle basic resus, cardiac, broken bones, etc. but for anything more complicated requiring ICU, etc it's French's Forest.

I've not had to use it myself, but chatter on FB suggests that the ambulance has been fast and care swift when you get there - generally suggesting the complaints are on principal rather than in practice, on the urgent care side. Someone did raise the good point of "what about when it rains heavily", as the Narrabean lakes flood, close the direct road there, and then you have to go the long way around - maybe 40mins at best

There were separate concerns about care and resourcing in general there for certain types of longer term care, including a Herald story, which I've not looked at recently.

The latter will affect anywhere you live in N Beaches north of, say, Dee Why. The former issue is something that seems valid, but that I've not seen transpire yet.

I would have stayed in Narrabeen had I been able to cope with the commuting, or perhaps got a job up there and thus never needed to go to the city. I always feel nostalgic and sentimental about Narrabeen as it was the last time that I lived with my parents and my brothers in the same house. My parents bought a townhouse in Pittwater Road opposite the old Royal Antler hotel.

I felt isolated when I lived there on my own however although perhaps I've just adapted better to living on my own now. Come to think of it, that is probably true as I felt isolated living in Surry Hills too when I first moved here.  When you have not grown up in a place perhaps it takes longer to put down roots.

I turned left coming back to the city at Mona Vale and went past the hospital, wondering what they were doing there. My Mum had an operation there in 1982 I think. Once or twice a year I drive up there, sometimes just as far as Narrabeen, sometimes all the way to Palm Beach. Go down to the lake and over to the beach at Narrabeen, much the same as going back to England and going round where I was brought up, although I've not been back there in a decade.

• 11 months later...
6 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Half your luck but I would not like to have to commute to Sydney from there. 

Agreed. I would hate to commute into Sydney CBD too. I have a several friends who catch the bus each day. I would hate to do it, but they say they use the time constructively and catch up on work, sleep or watch films on their laptops. I work near Macquarie University and it normally takes me 40 minutes to drive. I could easily live nearer work, but I want to live near the beach. And I love my job, so I don't want to change to another one closer to home. I have commuted my entire working life and it doesn't bother me. I use to live in and work in London, and that was a very long commute of nearly 2 hours across the city with lots of walking and two tube changes at very odd hours......so this short 40 minute drive in comparison is most delightful. I have recently been looking for a house in Narrabeen, as I love the area. 

1 hour ago, FatCat said:

Agreed. I would hate to commute into Sydney CBD too. I have a several friends who catch the bus each day. I would hate to do it, but they say they use the time constructively and catch up on work, sleep or watch films on their laptops. I work near Macquarie University and it normally takes me 40 minutes to drive. I could easily live nearer work, but I want to live near the beach. And I love my job, so I don't want to change to another one closer to home. I have commuted my entire working life and it doesn't bother me. I use to live in and work in London, and that was a very long commute of nearly 2 hours across the city with lots of walking and two tube changes at very odd hours......so this short 40 minute drive in comparison is most delightful. I have recently been looking for a house in Narrabeen, as I love the area. 

I never used to have a problem with commuting - anything thing to blame Australia for! Maybe I was "caught short" on a bus or train, and or the crowded nature of trains and buses got to me.

The bendy bus took about, what 35 to 40 minutes from Narrabeen to Wynyard then I needed to walk to St James for 311 to Garden Island, about an hour I guess.

I could not do the bendy bus especially after Neutral Bay Jn when bus turned left down to the Bridge,  ie double trapped on crowded bus in a traffic jam on the bridge.  So I got 155 all stops bus to Manly, ferry to Circular Quay then either walk or cab to GID. 

I could imagine living in Avalon, stroll to the town centre,  or the beach,  and I would take a $200 a week pay cut to be able to work to work,  and I doubt I would leave Avalon! (Or somewhere similar,  Surfers Paradise for example!)

I'm guessing you drive up Mona Vale Road then carry on over Pscific Highway into? Lane Cove Road? Doable with  a car but public transport? Ugh?

I've got a mate who lives in St Ives now but used to live in Mona Vale and he'd pick me up at top of Wakehurst Parkway and we'd drive to Garden Island. 

I am sentimental about Narrabeen and usually drove up there once or twice a year from Surry Hills. 81 to 83 and 86/87 I lived there between Lake and Pittwater Rd, opp the old Royal Antler pub. Last time mum and dad and we three bros all together in the one house.

Narrabeen's advantage over Avalon I guess is it is on the middle of the peninsular about halfway between Palm Beach and Manly? Plus you are straight into Wakehurst Parkway then? Roseville Bridge.  Is that the way to yr work? 

Which is quickest way to drive to City? Via The Spit or Wakehurst Parkway? Nostalgia meant I'd go both ways plus I lived in Neutral Bay so could indulge in two lots of sentiment. 

Edited by MARYROSE02

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Half your luck but I would not like to have to commute to Sydney from there.  Great if I had a job no further than Narrabeen!

Many people would kill to commute to a real office these days :-).

Joking aside, the move to Avalon has been lucky timing with Covid. Companies accept WFH where possible, and people are keen to move out to whether they can work remotely and have more space to enjoy. Every house here is being snapped up right now, selling far above reserve. I’ve been to the office precisely once this year, and the rest of the time I’ve been in the home office.

Things will go back to normal to some extent, but WFH is generally more accepted.

Once you do need to go into the office, the B-Line is great for zoning out or focusing on work while travelling as you are almost guaranteed a seat and it’s a solid 70 minutes journey. But problems are the time to get to the B-line terminus, especially if the on-demand Keoride is a long wait, and the fact that if you’re running late you have zero other options - even a taxi will be little faster. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, desreb said:

Joking aside, the move to Avalon has been lucky timing with Covid. Companies accept WFH where possible, and people are keen to move out to whether they can work remotely and have more space to enjoy. Every house here is being snapped up right now, selling far above reserve. I’ve been to the office precisely once this year, and the rest of the time I’ve been in the home office.

Things will go back to normal to some extent, but WFH is generally more accepted.

Once you do need to go into the office, the B-Line is great for zoning out or focusing on work while travelling as you are almost guaranteed a seat and it’s a solid 70 minutes journey. But problems are the time to get to the B-line terminus, especially if the on-demand Keoride is a long wait, and the fact that if you’re running late you have zero other options - even a taxi will be little faster. 

I had to Google "Keoride!" It sounds like you live outside walking distance to the B line Terminus, then 70 minutes on the bus. Does it take that long to get to Sydney? Then, how far to walk to your office, or another train/bus ride?

I read in the paper the other day about public servants' sickies going down since they can work from home but I can empathise with people, not needing to take sickies so much if you work from home. I can think of a number of reasons, OK, including hangovers, where you wake up  and think "God I feel crook, I'll stay at home today." 70 minutes on the bus feeling awful, whereas working from home, "I'll go back to bed till lunch time then work into the evening to make up for it".

I admit I am/was a public servant BUT casual so no sick pay.

• 1 year later...
On 01/01/2021 at 05:31, desreb said:

Wow 70 minutes commute every day on a bus, that would mentally sap me.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 10:26, Captain Roberto said:

Hey

These are both lovely suburbs. We lived in Newport for about 2.5 years and liked it very much - but recently we moved to Mona Vale as it was better suited for us, better transport for work and for the kids to go to school, with B Line bus service etc and little nearer to the CBD. It's about an hour to Wynyard in the morning on the bus depending on whether you get stuck in traffic between Mosman and York St (which you often to, but this can't be helped...)

When we were at Newport, they changed the bus service and brought in the B line, and I ended up driving from Newport down to Narrabeen every day and it took maybe an extra 15 mins each way. All 1st world problems, but in general, the higher up the peninsula you go, the more hassle it is getting around on public transport and the more conservative it gets with resident groups trying to stop any and all changes to ways of life. It was these lot that blocked the b line bus going to Newport. Not really a major problem if you are older, richer and don't use public transport, but less useful for our teenage kids and for CBD workers.

I automatically assumed that the B Line double decker buses had replaced the existing buses (bendy?) on the 190 (?) route all the way to Palm Beach.

I remember sitting at Wynyard during one of the COVID lockdown and I saw a B line bus (which I've never ridden) and wondering if I could risk breaking the 5km from home rule and go to Narrabeen. I lived there in the 80s and I'm often nostalgic (but not for commuting to Sydney!)

Why did they block the B Line buses? The thought of the plebs looking over their fences from the upper deck? I liked doing that on buses in Hants.

12 hours ago, Britch13 said:

Wow 70 minutes commute every day on a bus, that would mentally sap me.

Travelling from many parts of Sydney will take 70 minutes and more, especially when you add on time to get to the station or a bus. The Blue Mts limited stops train does Penrith to Central in 48 minutes I think but unless you work walking distance from Central that means another train, bus or tram. If you are not walking distance from Penrith that means car or bus.

5 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Travelling from many parts of Sydney will take 70 minutes and more, especially when you add on time to get to the station or a bus. The Blue Mts limited stops train does Penrith to Central in 48 minutes I think but unless you work walking distance from Central that means another train, bus or tram. If you are not walking distance from Penrith that means car or bus.

True, which is precisely why I wouldn't choose to live in any of those areas (either that, or I'd look for a job closer to that suburb).  

12 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

True, which is precisely why I wouldn't choose to live in any of those areas (either that, or I'd look for a job closer to that suburb).  

That's why I moved from Narrabeen to Surry Hills and if others assume it's because I'm an aging ex yuppie hipster, so much the better.

As I was saying elsewhere about Newtown, Surry Hills has its drawbacks but you can live without a car because it has excellent public transport and you can walk to most places. 

If I'd had a job in Narrabeen I'd probably have stayed there.