Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Kevin Kim

489 to 887 visa 2 years requirement update?

Recommended Posts

Hi, I recently noticed that the immigration website change a few words for the 887 visa 2 years residence requirement. 

It used to be a written as 

 

You must currently hold either:
1) a 
skilled visa (487, 489 or 495)
2) a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B that was granted in relation to an application for a subclass 487, 489 or 495.


You must have held a skilled visa at some time for at least two years before you apply for the visa.

 
Hence, I assume that everyone know that we should stay at least for 2 years from the day grant of 489 visa. 
 
Now, however since the website being reformed, it is  written as
 
 
An eligible visa means either:
1) a subclass 489, 495, 496, 475 or 487 visa, or
2) a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B, after having made a valid application for a subclass 489, 495 or 487 visa


 You must have held an eligible visa for at least a total of 2 years before you apply for a Skilled Regional (subclass 887) visa.
 

For me, it sounds like the bridging visa time also can be counted for the 2 years requirement, am  I wrong? 

 

I sent a few inquiry about these changes to migrate agents, but they have given me the different answers, so not sure which agents are correct.

 

If anyone lodged the 887 visa application by counting his/her bridging visa time, I will appreciate if you share your experience with me. 

 

As it took 7 months to grant my 489 visa, so it is crucial information for me to get PR at the earlier stage.  

 

Cheers 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good catch, would interpret it the same as you.

Edited by CivCdn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2018 at 14:54, CivCdn said:

Good catch, would interpret it the same as you.

Yes, you can also refer to the legislation regarding the 887 visa. It clearly written same as the current website. 

The legislation remains same as before, but the immigration website has been updated by changing a few words. 

I think that now the immigration noticed about the issue and rectify the words and sentences more clearly because it had created lots of confusion to the potential candidates before. 

From some time for at least two years to for at least a total of 2 years

They used the term of 'total', which convinced me that my guess is a reasonable. 

If it imply 489 visa only, they would not use the 'total'. 

None of the agent explain about this change, rather they just keep insisting that bridging visa time does not include. 

Anyway, I will see my friend's case and will update the information here shortly. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to wait 2 years to apply for the 887... I attempted to apply for it right after getting my 489 but it said I didn’t meet the requirements 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hngu15 said:

I had to wait 2 years to apply for the 887... I attempted to apply for it right after getting my 489 but it said I didn’t meet the requirements 

Maybe thats because You must have held an eligible visa for at least a total of 2 years before you apply for a Skilled Regional (subclass 887) visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2018 at 14:27, Kevin Kim said:

For me, it sounds like the bridging visa time also can be counted for the 2 years requirement, am  I wrong? 

It depends on what the bridging visa was for.

On 14/12/2018 at 14:27, Kevin Kim said:

I sent a few inquiry about these changes to migrate agents, but they have given me the different answers, so not sure which agents are correct.

Because it will depend on the specific situation, it is unlikely that you will receive a definitive answer without an assessment of your specific situation.

On 14/12/2018 at 14:27, Kevin Kim said:

If anyone lodged the 887 visa application by counting his/her bridging visa time, I will appreciate if you share your experience with me. 

You should not rely others experiences as A) the Regulations may have changed from when they applied and B) the answer will vary depending on your specific situation.

On 20/12/2018 at 23:52, Kevin Kim said:

The legislation remains same as before, but the immigration website has been updated by changing a few words. 

Do not rely on the Immigration website as this is just a summary and not always directly reflective of the actual Regulations.

On 20/12/2018 at 23:52, Kevin Kim said:

None of the agent explain about this change, rather they just keep insisting that bridging visa time does not include. 

Again, bridging visa time may be included in some circumstances, depending on the specifics of each case.


Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Maybe thats because You must have held an eligible visa for at least a total of 2 years before you apply for a Skilled Regional (subclass 887) visa.

I did . Already had for over 2 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×