Christmas

Nandini Millar

10 minutes ago, s713 said:

Not really into Xmas here, doesn't feel quite right. I think if you want to embrace it, you have to go Aussie, beach & bbq etc. The whole roast dinner/round the table thing doesn't really work for me.

Sounds like a party not Christmas dinner haha. Will have to see if we could keep up the British way else have to grow into the Aussie way. The decorated tree might help 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s713 said:

Not really into Xmas here, doesn't feel quite right. I think if you want to embrace it, you have to go Aussie, beach & bbq etc. The whole roast dinner/round the table thing doesn't really work for me.

Why would anybody be doing a roast in the middle of summer let alone Xmas Day

• Haha 1

We have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve in the evening when it's cooled down. Christmas day is then free to get down the beach early and enjoy not having to rush off anywhere as we don't have rellies here. Love it. Being able to do what you want when you want makes Christmas relaxing not stressful. 

A few of our friends have to dash off to take the kids to nanas or aunties and dread doing it. Why do we do this to ourselves?

18 minutes ago, s713 said:

So you've never heard of Xmas dinner? Right.

Last roast we had on Christmas Day was in Kununurra, WA , 1976 and it was 41 C in the kitchen. Never again; cold collage with chook, or prawns now. And chilled mango...

Cheers, Bobj.

No me either, we did it the first year and decided never again when we sweated through the prep, cooking and then after eating when the whole house felt like an oven!
We have an excuse for a roast Dinner with all the trimmings followed by home made Christmas pudding when our friends host Christmas in July...although that’s a crazy idea too -not sure where that originated[emoji2960]

On 13/12/2018 at 19:04, Nandini Millar said:

Hello everyone. This year's Christmas could be our last Christmas in UK. It's exciting but at the same time I think it's going to be different experience altogether to have Christmas in summer haha. In England it's freezing cold now. How did you find your first Christmas in summer ?? Will be lovely to hear about your experiences. Me and my family are thinking to settle in Brisbane. I am thinking temperature will be really high in December. By the way merry Christmas in advance everyone 🎅🎅🎅💝💝

Christmas was always a non event really. With no extended family, and the warm weather, I never really had much appreciation for it. It wasn't until I visited the UK that I truly understood what Christmas was. We have visited Australia a few times with the kids at Christmas, and they said it always spoiled it a bit as Christmas should be cold.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, newjez said:

Christmas was always a non event really. With no extended family, and the warm weather, I never really had much appreciation for it. It wasn't until I visited the UK that I truly understood what Christmas was. We have visited Australia a few times with the kids at Christmas, and they said it always spoiled it a bit as Christmas should be cold.

Bloody glad that xmas isn’t cold!

9 hours ago, Nandini Millar said:

Hehe I know 😂😂😂 it's just in the head for me. I think barbeque and drinks sounds more appropriate. Don't know how we would feel though without roast haha. 

It’s a northern hemisphere thing, it just doesn’t work here.  It’s the old “trying to live like a Pom deal” in a foreign country, it’s never going to work.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Bulya said:

It’s a northern hemisphere thing, it just doesn’t work here.  It’s the old “trying to live like a Pom deal” in a foreign country, it’s never going to work.

Been doing it for 25 years, 10 years in Brunei and 15 years in Oz, works fine for me. if it makes me and my family and friends happy why on earth shouldn’t we celebrate how we want to? What’s it got to do with anyone else. 

Cant wait for our traditional turkey lunch/late afternoon , Christmas crackers, silly hats and corny jokes, usually after a typical Australian day, lazy swim in our pool, some of us manage to embrace both lifestyles. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Bulya said:

Why would anybody be doing a roast in the middle of summer let alone Xmas Day

Because here in Victoria we've had Christmas Days some years with a top temp of only 15 degrees where you're digging out your winter clothes to wear! 

I'm a born and bred Aussie (married to a Pom) and my family has always done roast chook or turkey, corned silverside and ham.  Hot meat and veggies if it's cold, cold meats cooked the night before and salads if it's hot.  The thought of a beach/swimming Christmas just doesn't appeal to us, partly because as kids we had a pool but Christmas Eve through to at least Boxing Day was always spent at with my grandparents a few hours' drive away and about 60 km from a beach. 

• Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 22:49, Bulya said:

Confusion on web as to whether it was ‘87 or ‘77?  I always thought it was Boxing Day but can’t remember the year.  Definitely after ‘76, when I moved here from Newcastle (NSW). 

I don't recall it in 87 and we didn't arrive until early 79 but it did snow in Ballarat on Christmas Day 2001 while ACT was having a Bushfire 

13 hours ago, Nandini Millar said:

Hehe I know 😂😂😂 it's just in the head for me. I think barbeque and drinks sounds more appropriate.

Unfortunately, that makes it the same as every other weekend.

If I told my Mrs we weren't having a Xmas roast dinner, she'd divorce me.

On 15/12/2018 at 09:49, Bulya said:

Confusion on web as to whether it was ‘87 or ‘77?  I always thought it was Boxing Day but can’t remember the year.  Definitely after ‘76, when I moved here from Newcastle (NSW). 

Must have been '77.  We had Christmas Day snow on the mountain in Hobart around that time  - probably the same southerly blast which hit Canberra.

This will be our first Christmas south of the equator. 

Not a mention of Ireland, of cold Christmas' by anyone under this roof. Zero regrets.

Fab, warm, not as retail centric (from our perspective) a lot less 'stress' - a nice buzz kicking in now.

We've a tree up, will see Santa, kids have had loads to work seasonal artwork done in School etc

ATN