You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Fuzzbomb

Secondary school teacher 189, 190 0r 489 visa?

From the research we have done we are looking at 189, 190 or 489 visas.

My wife is currently an English secondary school teacher in the UK. She has a Masters Degree, her PGCE and is now working full time but doesnt have three years experience. She has 25 points due to age (36)

Through online points calculator my wife has 40 points (age 25, education 15) and has booked up the IELTS course which we believe will provide another 20 (at least is should with a Masters in English...and it will if is has to be retaken!). I am now under the impression that 60 points is no longer enough for a 189 but if we opt for 190 or 489 we would gain the extra 5 points through state sponsorship. My wife has a sister who is a permanent resident living in central Perth so I dont know if that will give us another angle in.

I run my own tiling installation company and have done so on a self employed basis for the last 6/7 years. My practical skills in these areas are minimal as I project manage so I am not sure if I qualify for skills assessment as a wall and floor tiler which I believe would get another 5 points. If the assessment is on paper i'll pass, if its practical I wont!! 

Our aim to is to get this through ASAP due to our ages (36 and 37) so we are not concerned which visa we get including if it means going regional. I would also be interested if there is a visa option I have missed and/or if there is a quicker way of getting across. Permanent residency is the end goal so any visa that we get initially would need to allow for this.

I'm of the impression that using an agent would be beneficial in cutting down on time with regards submitting paperwork correctly, would you agree?

Sorry if this is a bit long but some advice would be great!

I'm of the impression that using an agent would be beneficial in cutting down on time with regards submitting paperwork correctly, would you agree?

No. Might make it easier, but not any less, possibly more.

I have had clients with a masters in English and many years teaching English who did not satisfy the IELTS requirement at the first attempt, or at all..

My wife has a sister who is a permanent resident living in central Perth so I dont know if that will give us another angle in.

Possibly, but not for a permanent visa in the first instance.

May I suggest that you consult one of the registered migration agents who posts on this forum for an assessment?

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

On 12/12/2018 at 12:41, Fuzzbomb said:

but if we opt for 190 or 489 we would gain the extra 5 points through state sponsorship.

You will get additional 5 points for a 190 and 10 additional for a 489.

as @wrussell says - don't underesitmate the english exam. It will require study to pass it.

Thanks for the advice, she'll certainly be studying up on the IELTS and hopefully passing first time.

20 hours ago, wrussell said:

May I suggest that you consult one of the registered migration agents who posts on this forum for an assessment?

I am new to the forum, where would I find an agent? 

One I have spoken with has advised WA will be virtually impossible to get accepted on a 190 or 489 with 65 points. Which states are the easiest to get into? My assumption would be NT or TAS?

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbomb said:

Thanks for the advice, she'll certainly be studying up on the IELTS and hopefully passing first time.

I am new to the forum, where would I find an agent? 

One I have spoken with has advised WA will be virtually impossible to get accepted on a 190 or 489 with 65 points. Which states are the easiest to get into? My assumption would be NT or TAS?

Wrussell is an agent. His contact details are in his signature at the bottom of his post. Maybe contact him. Good luck! 🙂

IELTS is a poorly constructed test concocted by little people who are trying to show how very
clever they are. It tests a candidate's ability to perform under test conditions and people who
do not have good examination technique often do not score as well as they should have.
Westly Russell

Packer scores in test of English
Elisabeth Wynhausen | August 23, 2008

EVERY time computer engineer Faisal Shaikh failed his English test -- as he did
four times -- James Packer was a little richer.
Mr Packer is the non-executive chairman of a company that profits each time
someone sits the sole English language proficiency test for visa applicants accepted
by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
The International English Language Testing System is the most widely used English
language proficiency test in the world. But migration agents say Immigration
guidelines mean most people fail it at least once, forcing them to sit for it again, for
another $280.
"The problem is that you generally have to get a score of at least six out of nine in
each of four bands -- reading, writing, speaking and listening," said migration agent
Mark Glazbrook.
While universities permit test candidates to average out their results, as long as they
reach a minimum score of six, the department refuses to allow visa applicants do so.
"This is nice for IELTS as it means that more people are required to re-sit the test,"
Mr Glazbrook said.
More than 100,000 visa applicants a year sit for the IELTS test, he said. Reportedly
worth $250million a year globally, the test is owned by IELTS Australia, the British
Council and Cambridge University. IELTS Australia is owned by IDP Education, a
company jointly owned by 38 Australian universities and Seek, the online
employment outfit in which Mr Packer has an interest.
IELTS did not set a pass or fail mark, a spokesman said. "Each organisation using the
IELTS test sets the level to meet their individual requirements."
Alex Barthel, director of the academic language and learning unit at the University of
Technology Sydney, said: "The IELTS test gives a fairly accurate measurement at a
particular point in time ... and , as far as I know, does this relatively more accurately
and consistently than other major language tests which rely more on multiple choice
answers."
That was not the experience of Mohammed Qasam, 30, who did a degree in banking
and finance in Jordan, his homeland, using English-language text books. A masters
student in accounting at UTS, Mr Qasam lectures in the subject at the Macquarie
Institute.
But when he sat the IELTS test, his scores in reading and writing fluctuated each time
he did it. "There's not enough time to read," he said in fluent English.
Sydney migration agent Jonathan Granger agreed that the test was proving difficult.
"Ninety per cent of all the clients I've lodged a visa application for haven't got the
required score -- and this includes postgraduates," he said.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com