457 to 820 Partnership visa

Aoife

I am on a 457 visa (granted march 2017 giving me expiry of march 2021). I am eligible to apply for PR through my employer in march 2019 but they have refused. I want to apply for a partnership visa with my Australian boyfriend we have been together 15 months but only living together for 5 months, is this a problem as some people tell me you have to be living together for 12 months before you apply for the Partnership visa?

Secondly, I have been doing online reading and it seems that if I lodge an 820 visa while I'm still on my 457, a bridging visa will come into play. If I hand in my notice and have my 457 cancelled this then cancels the bridging visa that was activated from the 820 application then resulting in a different bridging visa with no work or travel rights until a decision is made for my 820 temporary partnership visa which can take up too 25 months.

I am really unhappy in my work place and feel very defeated. 

Can anyone recommend a good immigration lawyer in Melbourne?

Can anyone confirm if I'm correct as I'm confused and being told different things. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

1 hour ago, Aoife said:

I am on a 457 visa (granted march 2017 giving me expiry of march 2021). I am eligible to apply for PR through my employer in march 2019 but they have refused. I want to apply for a partnership visa with my Australian boyfriend we have been together 15 months but only living together for 5 months, is this a problem as some people tell me you have to be living together for 12 months before you apply for the Partnership visa?

If you are applying as a defacto couple, you will need 12 months of living together unless you have registered your relationship, or special circumstances have forced you to live apart. 

1 hour ago, Aoife said:

Secondly, I have been doing online reading and it seems that if I lodge an 820 visa while I'm still on my 457, a bridging visa will come into play. If I hand in my notice and have my 457 cancelled this then cancels the bridging visa that was activated from the 820 application then resulting in a different bridging visa with no work or travel rights until a decision is made for my 820 temporary partnership visa which can take up too 25 months.

A bridging visa will not come into play , while your 457 is still valid.

If your 457 is cancelled, you will become unlawful and go onto a bridging visa E. This should be avoided.

1 hour ago, Aoife said:

I am really unhappy in my work place and feel very defeated. 

Best to find a new sponsor and transfer your  visa.

1 hour ago, Aoife said:

Can anyone recommend a good immigration lawyer in Melbourne?

Your Agent does not need to be in the same State unless you want or need a face to face consultation.

1 hour ago, Aoife said:

Can anyone confirm if I'm correct as I'm confused and being told different things. 

Your comments show that you have a basic understating of the situation, although advice from a professional would be recommended.