Australian Study Requirement - The Six-Month Window of Opportunity - 485 Visa

horryshiet

Hello,

I am currently pursuing a Juris Doctor degree from Melbourne Law (3-year course).

Immediately upon completion, I intend to follow up my postgraduate law degree with a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from Leo Cussen (6-month course). 

Both courses are suitable qualifications to meet the 'Australian Study Requirement' (e.g. CRICOS-registered courses taught in English). 

I understand that I must lodge my 485 visa application within six months of completing the 'Australian Study Requirement'. What I am confused about is from what point this six month window of opportunity to apply begins to close. I'd like to seek some clarification on this point. 

Does this six month window of application for the 485 visa begin to tick upon completing of my postgraduate law degree from Melbourne? Or upon completion of my Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice? 

My understanding is that the six-month window to lodge a 485 application begins from when I complete my subsequent Graduate Diploma.

Is my understanding correct?

Warm regards,

Horryshiet