Visitor Visa- VACCU Referral

Harpersgirl

Well, it's been a while since I posted in here but once a pom in oz always a pom in oz eh!

I'm hoping someone can give me some hope for my daughter's subclass 600 for a surprise visit to bring her baby twins to meet the rest of the family over Xmas. Flights are booked for 27th December and her partners and the babies visa's are all approved.

Unfortunately, yesterday she was told that her application has been passed on to VACCU and they are now terrified that they will not get it back in time. She has a spent conviction from when she was resident here two years ago which we assume is the reason for VACCU. At that time she was being processed for a 457 but due to the terrible time she had living here decided to head back to the UK to settle. Immi were fully aware of this however the 457 appears to have been left on her records which may also cause some confusion.

She has passed on police checks for both Aus and UK and character references to support her application. Does anyone have any suggestions of how they can proceed or is able to give me hope that I will see my grandchildren.... 

1 hour ago, Harpersgirl said:

Well, it's been a while since I posted in here but once a pom in oz always a pom in oz eh!

I'm hoping someone can give me some hope for my daughter's subclass 600 for a surprise visit to bring her baby twins to meet the rest of the family over Xmas. Flights are booked for 27th December and her partners and the babies visa's are all approved.

Unfortunately, yesterday she was told that her application has been passed on to VACCU and they are now terrified that they will not get it back in time. She has a spent conviction from when she was resident here two years ago which we assume is the reason for VACCU. At that time she was being processed for a 457 but due to the terrible time she had living here decided to head back to the UK to settle. Immi were fully aware of this however the 457 appears to have been left on her records which may also cause some confusion.

She has passed on police checks for both Aus and UK and character references to support her application. Does anyone have any suggestions of how they can proceed or is able to give me hope that I will see my grandchildren.... 

For immigration purposes, convictions are never spent.

7 hours ago, Harpersgirl said:

Yes, quite.

Hate to say this but VACCU are rarely quick to respond. If the 457 application was 2 years ago that won't come into it, and 457s don't exist now anyway, it'll be down to the conviction, and will depend on what for, what sentence etc etc. I'd like to be wrong but wouldn't bank on it coming through in time if it has only just gone to VACCU.

20 hours ago, Harpersgirl said:

Just in case anyone else is in a situation similar to ours I thought I would post a follow-up.

After emailing VACCU and our local fed MP's office YESTERDAY, my daughter's visitor's visa was approved this morning.

image.jpeg.486766d153a0c21118b1bb261917a6cc.jpeg

Brilliant. Congratulations!! Thanks for posting an update. Not many people do. Have a wonderful time with your family over the holidays.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2018 at 01:32, Harpersgirl said:

Just in case anyone else is in a situation similar to ours I thought I would post a follow-up.

After emailing VACCU and our local fed MP's office YESTERDAY, my daughter's visitor's visa was approved this morning.

image.jpeg.486766d153a0c21118b1bb261917a6cc.jpeg

hi harpersgirl, thats great news about visa...........i'm trying to get an email address for vaccu as my sons been waiting since jul 18 & we have heard nothing, thanks in advance x

• 3 months later...
On 04/12/2018 at 01:11, Harpersgirl said:

Hi there , I hope you might be able to help, we are in a very similar situation to  your daughter last year. We are due to Travel on the 12th August and my partners visa has been referred to VACCU , he an offence from over 21years ago which I presume is the reason but his police certificate was clear and we have references & letters from his employer too.  We were planning a holiday of a lifetime to visit family in Sydney. 

Could you offer and advice on what you did to get such a speedy response and what part of Australia you are in? We have a local MP in Sydney who has been contacted but if I could give them evidence of a successful case it might help them build a case for us?  

Thankyou , in anticipation and the hope you might see this! 

Hey Lisbeth, 

I’m sorry to read of your situation. I totally get the anxiety and concern you will be feeling. 

For our case, In the first instance I contacted our Federal MP’s office by phone and put our story to his office. We live in Perth, WA. I followed this up with an email and received virtually immediate responses not only from his assistant but a phone call from the MP himself. 

I sent the email from our business address and attached our citizenship photo and a photo of my daughter and her family dressed to the nines to highlight  that we are “respectable”  

I think in hindsight that it was important to keep prodding both VACCU and the MP. Both my daughter and I phoned and emailed  Immi & VACCU, despite being told it would get us nowhere.

However, I do feel the deciding factor was having us here as Australian citizens pleading her case. 

I wish you the very best of luck... 

1 hour ago, Harpersgirl said:

Hey Lisbeth, 

I’m sorry to read of your situation. I totally get the anxiety and concern you will be feeling. 

For our case, In the first instance I contacted our Federal MP’s office by phone and put our story to his office. We live in Perth, WA. I followed this up with an email and received virtually immediate responses not only from his assistant but a phone call from the MP himself. 

I sent the email from our business address and attached our citizenship photo and a photo of my daughter and her family dressed to the nines to highlight  that we are “respectable”  

I think in hindsight that it was important to keep prodding both VACCU and the MP. Both my daughter and I phoned and emailed  Immi & VACCU, despite being told it would get us nowhere.

However, I do feel the deciding factor was having us here as Australian citizens pleading her case. 

Hi thanks for your speedy reply, my cousin who we are visiting is an Australian citizen too, she’s spoke to her local mp who said they’ll take a look. The photos are a great idea I’ll forward some on. Thankyou again 

14 hours ago, Lizbeth said:

Hi thanks for your speedy reply, my cousin who we are visiting is an Australian citizen too, she’s spoke to her local mp who said they’ll take a look. The photos are a great idea I’ll forward some on. Thankyou again 

The advice I have always been given is go to the federal mp not the local mp. Federal mp has more time on their hands! 

22 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

The advice I have always been given is go to the federal mp not the local mp. Federal mp has more time on their hands! 

Each electorate has its own local Federal MP   (as well as a/several local State MPs).   In this case Federal would be appropriate given that immigration is a Federal matter.  

23 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Thankyou for that, I’ve checked and that’s who we’ve contacted. Still waiting to hear though 😣

• Like 1

On 02/07/2019 at 15:53, Harpersgirl said:

Hey Lisbeth, 

Harper’s girl- would you be able to give me the name of the Federal MP that assisted you with the visa? 

I just thought it might help our MP if they wanted to discuss it or ask for advice from someone who had been successful? 

Or could I PM you for details please? 

Hey Lisbeth, 

Do you know the name of the MP  please? It might help my MP if they wanted to seek any advice? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lisbeth, 

Well just an update, the Federal MP has not been able to help, the travel agents won’t accept any responsibility for not advising us correctly so my partner can’t travel and i will be visiting on my own with the kids as we lose all our money otherwise. It all seems so unjust for a two week holiday 😖

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Does anyone have any contact details for VACCU or a local/federal MP in Brisbane? I am in a similar situation with my partner who's visa application is waiting with VACCU. His brother lives in Brisbane and we are attending his wedding. Looking if we can go down the MP route. We're due to fly on 24th August so getting very anxious now

3 hours ago, eday said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have any contact details for VACCU or a local/federal MP in Brisbane? I am in a similar situation with my partner who's visa application is waiting with VACCU. His brother lives in Brisbane and we are attending his wedding. Looking if we can go down the MP route. We're due to fly on 24th August so getting very anxious now

If you do a bit of googling, using the street and suburb where his brother lives, you should be able to find the details f the MP for that constituency. 

Quick query.

My mother is coming out here on an ETA for Sept 1. She had applied on July 3 but still hasn't heard anything yet, but they did make a withdrawl for the fee from her account. Five years ago when I apploed for the exact same visa, mine was applied in less than 24 hours.

Does anyone know if the wait times have now increased substantially for the ETA, and perhaps if she needs to get onto them about this?

Thank you kindly.

2 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Quick query.

My mother is coming out here on an ETA for Sept 1. She had applied on July 3 but still hasn't heard anything yet, but they did make a withdrawl for the fee from her account. Five years ago when I apploed for the exact same visa, mine was applied in less than 24 hours.

Does anyone know if the wait times have now increased substantially for the ETA, and perhaps if she needs to get onto them about this?

Thank you kindly.

As you have posted in the VACCU thread presumably you feel there could be character issues?

10 hours ago, Nemesis said:

As you have posted in the VACCU thread presumably you feel there could be character issues?

Oh no. Not at all. I just assumed this was a general questions thread for all kinds of visitor visas. Apologies if this is in the wrong thread. And TBH, I don't even know what the acronym VACCU stands for!

Edited by Canada2Australia

4 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Oh no. Not at all. I just assumed this was a general questions thread for all kinds of visitor visas. Apologies if this is in the wrong thread. And TBH, I don't even know what the acronym VACCU stands for!

Its the Visa Applicant Character Consideration Unit (or something like that) - basically they deal with character issues and criminal records. 

• 2 months later...
On 16/07/2019 at 14:50, Lizbeth said:

Well just an update, the Federal MP has not been able to help, the travel agents won’t accept any responsibility for not advising us correctly so my partner can’t travel and i will be visiting on my own with the kids as we lose all our money otherwise. It all seems so unjust for a two week holiday 😖

Hi lisbeth I'm currently in exactly the same situation as you were, we applied too immi for a tourist visa to visit family and it was referred to vaccu in may 2019, I just wondered if u actually heard back in time for your trip?