Arriving pregnant - 482 visa

Elovlov

Hi everyone. 

My husband and I are relocating on a short skill temp visa (482) with his work, hoping to move to Sydney at the end of January. When we move I’ll be 14 weeks pregnant (first time). We’ve read that private health insurance will not cover the costs of antenatal care if you haven’t had a policy in place for 12 months. We’re happy to use public hospitals and services and I’m trying to understand if we’ll be part covered by Medicare, or if we need to cover the costs ourselves?

Can anyone help? Has anyone arrived pregnant in Australia on a 482? I’d be so grateful to hear any advice, recommendations and guidance of who to speak to for more information. With me not having a job to go to and unlikely to get maternity pay it’s a bit of a concern to us. (As well as the scary thought of having our first child so far away from our family and friends!) 

Other info; we need health insurance as part of the visa approval and they have requested I have a medical in the U.K. 

Thank you for reading.

• 4 months later...

Hello Elovlov,

We might be in the same situation, as we are looking at moving to Australia within a few months, with my wife being pregnant. We would also be on a 482 visa.

Since it has been a few months and you said you were moving in January, it would be great if you could share some feedback about your experience in Australia so far in regards of medical follow-up.

Thank you very much,

Kind regards,

Nic0las

• 3 years later...

Hello !

Just wondering if you were pregnant when you completed your visa application, if had to mention that you were pregnant, and did it affected your application? 

My wife is pregnant and we are planning on moving to Australia through my work.

Thank you

Stephen

We did this on a 309 VISA. It's important you understand the risks and issues associated with this. However, we are very happy we did this. Hospitals in Australia are generally better than where we travelled from. However, we didn't really have a choice if we wanted to be together. We had to travel during COVID quarantine, arrived and stayed in quarantine for two weeks while wife was 4 months pregnant.

We also had problems that could have caused early labor. So lucky we made it and now have a beautiful daughter ❤️ 

• Congratulations 1