Where do i start??

K8ylc

Hi all. Not quite sure how to navigate this page yet. Just wondering if anyone can help me get the ball rolling. I want to move to melbourne where my extended family live. It would just be me and my 8 year old son (unless anyone knows if my 60year old parents have a chance of being able to join us)! Im a pharmacy technician in north east england, but have no clue if my nvq and btech qualifications transfer over. Where do i find out? Do i have to pay to start a visa application even if it gets declined? Any help would be amazing. Thanks

Even before you get stuck into navigating the visa, skills assessments etc be aware you will need permission from the father of your child to remove him from the country. If he doesn’t agree you are looking at a long and expensive court process to prove it is in his best interests. Not an easy thing to do.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but your parents could only migrate once you have PR. Even then parent visas are long waits and crazy expensive (upwards of 60k I believe)

Good luck 

Here is a guide to the regulations about removing children:

4015:
The Minister is satisfied of 1 of the following:
(a) the law of the additional applicant’s home country permits the removal of
the additional applicant;
(b) each person who can lawfully determine where the additional applicant is
to live consents to the grant of the visa;
(c) the grant of the visa would be consistent with any Australian child order in
force in relation to the additional applicant.
4016:
The Minister is satisfied that there is no compelling reason to believe that the
grant of the visa would not be in the best interests of the additional applicant.

To get parents here permanently is a lengthy and very costly exercise.

If you want a preliminary assessment of your visa prospects, please go to my website: pinoyau.com and use the contact form.

Start by looking at this:  https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/migrate/migration-process/how-to-migrate-to-australia

Also check out Seek for pharmacy technician jobs:  https://www.seek.com.au/pharmacy-technician-jobs/in-All-Melbourne-VIC

The first thing you should do is consult a registered migration agent.

Edited by Toots

I agree that a consultation with a migration agent is a good start as they can review your situation and give you an outline of what your possible options may be.

If you want to do some research on your own, you can start with the government website (https://archive.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work) to see what is available for your occupation.  It looks like a pharmacy technician needs either state or employer sponsorship.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I know you posted sometime ago but i'm a pharm tech too from north east and hoping to move to QLD with my son and partner.

Did you manage to submit a visa request? We can get sponsored off our family so can submit a visa 491 im just wondering if my qualifications are sufficient before paying for the skills assessment!

Thank you

Lauren

On 01/12/2018 at 06:29, K8ylc said:

I wasnt really concerned about how to get my child out, just how to go about getting a visa and work. Thanks anyway

Fair point you didn't ask, but your dependent visa for the child would be denied immediately without parental approval on both sides.

I'm guessing the respondent thought it was worth mentioning as you wanted to find out as much as you could before committing any cash

Points Test - three types of visa 189/190/491 - all are a points competition. 

That is if your job is either on the skills list nationally or state specific.

Then a skills assessment from the necessary assessing body.

Theyll tell you whether your skills and qualifications are transferable. There's a fee for that, can be fairly large.

Depending on your parent's circumstances and your outcome of this process there could be a route out for them.

10 hours ago, James Jobson said:

Hi,

I know you posted sometime ago but i'm a pharm tech too from north east and hoping to move to QLD with my son and partner.

Did you manage to submit a visa request? We can get sponsored off our family so can submit a visa 491 im just wondering if my qualifications are sufficient before paying for the skills assessment!

A reputable migration agent will give you a free initial consultation, so that's the sensible first step.  They'll be able to give you an idea of whether you're eligible and where to start.