Visa Help at 44 Years Old

Rosie101

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding the best route into Australia for myself and my partner. I have the chance of employment in Queensland and would initially be looking for an employer sponsered visa, and to take my partner on it too if I can. However, I will be 45 next summer and have been advised that if I choose this route then I will never be able to apply for permanent residency as I will be older than 45 by the time I make the application. My partner is still in his thirties, so I have been advised that it is better for him to be the principle applicant. He is Portuguese, and a Head Chef with no formal qualifications. I have a BA Honours degree and also a Masters degree, with relevant work experience, which I thought would have stood me in good stead to be the principle applicant. However, as far I know, if he is the primary applicant then my skills and qualifications will not be taken into account.

Does anyone have any advice about other options? Thanks :)

34 minutes ago, Rosie101 said:

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding the best route into Australia for myself and my partner. I have the chance of employment in Queensland and would initially be looking for an employer sponsered visa, and to take my partner on it too if I can. However, I will be 45 next summer and have been advised that if I choose this route then I will never be able to apply for permanent residency as I will be older than 45 by the time I make the application. My partner is still in his thirties, so I have been advised that it is better for him to be the principle applicant. He is Portuguese, and a Head Chef with no formal qualifications. I have a BA Honours degree and also a Masters degree, with relevant work experience, which I thought would have stood me in good stead to be the principle applicant. However, as far I know, if he is the primary applicant then my skills and qualifications will not be taken into account.

Does anyone have any advice about other options? Thanks :

I forgot to mention that I'm a UK citizen. 

The risk is that invites can take months. Add on a skills assessment before you even can lodge an eoi and there is a good chance you will be too old for a PR visa. You will need more professional advice and probably need to pay to have a good migration agent do the process as you have the further complication that your partner has no qualifications, which means going down a route known as recognition of prior learning. However, this isn't simple and can have major implications on points. Although 65 is the minimum technically, in reality, nobody is being invited on that. 

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I've spoken to a MA and they've advised that my partner should be the principle applicant. However, I have a job offer, so I'm thinking that I should maybe apply for a skilled working visa for 4 years via an employer sponsorship, and then my partner can apply for PR at a later date, with me as the spouse. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this if you have a chance. Thanks.

If you're using a MARA registeted agent I would take their advice. I would say though that if your partner is eligiblle for PR I wouldn't wait, I would apply now (if your long term plan is to stay in Oz for good) Rules constantly change and although me may be eligible now it is possible he might not be in a few years time.

Boa sorte!