Considering moving to Australia from Malta... Any help pls?

MaggieBoo

Hello

I am Maggie from Malta and me and my husband are considering moving to Australia for good.  We are looking for individuals that maybe already went through this process and can give us some tips on how to go about it...  Like finding the right visa, a job and a placr to live in.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Maggie

#dreamingaboutaustralia

On the visa front you’d need to check if either of you are eligible. Consulting a good Mara agent will give you a good indication if you’d be successful and what your options are.

I’d say look into visas first before researching jobs and places to live as that’s all irrelevant until you have a route into the country.

This forum is extremely knowledgable and browsing some of the recent threads will give you some insight into a range of topics.

Good luck, it can be a long and complicated process!

The starting point is a lot of reading of the official website https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au

In particular, look at the visas 189, 190 and 489.

You need to look at the skills lists to see if either of your occupations is on there. If one is (only one needs to be) you then need to check you have the appropriate qualifications and experience in order to pass the skills assessment. 

You then need to calculate points, the minimum is 65, but you need as many as possible. At this point, most people find they need to take an English exam such as ilets for points. Though, being from Malta, you may need to anyway.

Then check the other criteria such as age, medical conditions and character.

If you can tell us more about yourselves, we might be able to offer more guidance 

I was looking at types of jobs and places to calculate a bit the financial part of it.

I don't want to end up moving and then end up not having enough money to sustain ourselves....  So an indication of good units for rent in Melbourne will be appreciated.

I already tried out some skill tests... and it seems that i don't have enough points but my husband does.  Would i be able to get a visa ?

4 hours ago, MaggieBoo said:

I was looking at types of jobs and places to calculate a bit the financial part of it.

I don't want to end up moving and then end up not having enough money to sustain ourselves....  So an indication of good units for rent in Melbourne will be appreciated.

I already tried out some skill tests... and it seems that i don't have enough points but my husband does.  Would i be able to get a visa ?

And also, how can we find jobs that can entitle us to a nominated skilled visa?

Only one of you needs to qualify for a visa, and that person becomes the "primary applicant".  Then the other partner comes along as part of the family.  It sounds like your husband would be the primary applicant. What does he do for a living?

You can check rentals in Melbourne on realestate.com.au, but you'll find it hard to make much sense of it, unless you know the area you want to live.  You can pay $1,000 a week for a unit in an inner-city suburb, or $300 a week in a poor suburb a couple of hours from the centre. 

Most jobs are advertised on Seek.com.au, but unless there's an extreme skills shortage, very few employers will offer you a job while you're overseas. The application process takes months and employers would have to be pretty desperate to wait that long.  

However, as others keep telling you, your first step should be to contact a migration agent and find out what your chances are.  The harsh truth is, lots of people want to migrate to Australia but only a small minority are eligible to apply. There's no point doing all the research if you discover you haven't got a chance.  Many agents will give you an initial consultation free of charge.

Edited by Marisawright