Weekend in Canberra, Whats worth checking out?

annagilda

My favourite is the Australian War Memorial along with a walk /drive up Mt Ainslie (depends on your activity level) but Parliament Houses, old and new, are interesting. The woodwork in the High Court is lovely. Questacon is interesting but probably more so with kids. A walk around the central basin is nice or a boat trip on the lake. View from the top of Black Mountain Tower is interesting but personally I prefer Mt Ainslie as it's free and if you go to the exhibition near the Water Jet you can see how the city relates now to Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahoney's  plan.  Some folk like the Australian National Museum but I wasn't that impressed TBH. 

Restaurants - rather depends on your style. There are several nice ones in Manuka, Kingston, Civic but it all depends on what you want and how much you want to pay for the privilege, also, how close they are to your hotel. Many of the hotels have pretty good dining rooms. 

Have a great weekend - it's not the boring place many folk would have you believe.

Agree do go to the war memorial. The diorama displays are amazing. We will be going back as we didn’t do the museum justice. Do make sure you are there for the Last Post service as dusk. They do it really well it was very moving. 

The tours of the parliament buildings are good and the art gallery. 

Sunday markets after a walk round the lake.

Edited by rammygirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...