Applying for 887 residency visa and pregnancy

Cazwilkins

Question re-pregnancy on temporary visa.

We arrived in Australia 2 years ago on a 489 temporary skilled visa and we are about to submit for permanent residency. The processing times for an 887 have recently changed from 9-12 months to 12-15months (it just keeps going up and up and up!!!).

I purchased private health insurance when we first arrived in the country (Oct 2016) and last month we added pregnancy cover (12month waiting period for this to come into effect).

My question is, on a temporary visa, are we covered through medicare on reciprocol cover? As I read that those on a temporary visa can face $10,000 in medical bills just for having an uncomplicated birth!!!

This process is driving me crazy. I am 30 and we are desperate to start a family. It seems we have to put buying a house and starting a family on hold until we have residency otherwise we get stung. We are both hard working, in the top tax bracket, paying heaps in taxes and the wait time grows and grows!!

Thanks in advance for your help