What does related by marriage mean in the application?

shanffdd

One of the online questions asks, ''Is this applicant related to the sponsor related by blood, marriage or adoption?

I have married the sponsor but we are not blood relatives or adopted.

Can't I mention that I am related to the sponsor by marriage or is that incorrect in this case?

What actually does this question refer to- blood marriage or non-blood related marriage?

image.png.a62d8259573c5cd6972bccbb2fbb732f.png

Does this mean

I always understood this to be asking "other than the fact that you are married" are you related to the sponsor.  For example, were they your brother-in-law before you married them?  But I'm not sure on this.  Seems like a stupid question otherwise if you're obviously related now that you're married to them, but I guess Immigration is entitled to ask stupid questions..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I always understood this to be asking "other than the fact that you are married" are you related to the sponsor.  For example, were they your brother-in-law before you married them?  But I'm not sure on this.  Seems like a stupid question otherwise if you're obviously related now that you're married to them, but I guess Immigration is entitled to ask stupid questions..
This got me too. I was advised related by marriage meant "in law".

I had originally clicked yes, because my initial interpretation was asking if my sponsor and I are married.
But after some googling and being advised the contrary by an immigration agent I added an update to the application to explain why I had answered the way I had and confirmed that the sponsor and I are not related in any way.
Hopefully that covers off all bases.

I've seen others asking the same question now so I am wondering if the case officers see this confusion a lot ?

• 3 years later...

Hi @shanffdd & @Ingers

I am struggling with this question. -"Is the applicant related to the sponsor by blood, Marriage or adoption?"

What did you guys put in your application? What was the outcome? How long did it take for you to get the Visa?

My RMA is telling me put down "yes" cause we are related by marriage (as my spouse and I got married) - well, when you read the question it makes sense. But then again, in the previous question they asked about our marriage, registration etc - then why would they be asking this question again? - when you click on the ? mark right next to it - the image that you posted pops up - and it doesn't say anything about "Marriage". It only talks about blood relations and adoption.

Now the RMA has done several applications and they've shown me examples of some of their previous cases where they've put down yes to this question.

This is so confusing!

Please help

I agree it's not a brilliantly worded question, but the explanation provided by clicking the help icon is pretty clear:

The applicant and sponsor must not be related by family. This means they must not:

• be an ancestor or descendant of one another

• have a parent in common.

Related by family includes relationships traced through an adoptive parent, and for this purpose, also includes any adoption that might have been declared void or has ceased to have effect.

Personally, I always answer "No" if the couple are not "related by family" but are married to each other.

10 hours ago, Pikachu said:

But then again, in the previous question they asked about our marriage, registration etc - then why would they be asking this question again? -

I think it's clear that this question is aimed primarily at marriages in, shall we say, "different cultures" to our own.

Edited by DIG85

Hi All

Thanks for all your responses.

Lets say that my wife is my sister in laws (my brother's wife)  Brother's wife's (my brother's sister in law's) sister as shown below 
Would that be consider related by marriage?

Why do they have "by marriage" on that question? the only scenario I can think of is this:

image.png.10e78ed1cbffbe6081ca3c229926923d.png

1 hour ago, Pikachu said:

No.

You are only related by marriage to someone by virtue of your own marriage, not by virtue of your sibling’s marriage.

Edited by DIG85

3 hours ago, Pikachu said:

Hi All

Thanks for all your responses.

Lets say that my wife is my sister in laws (my brother's wife)  Brother's wife's (my brother's sister in law's) sister as shown below 

Why do they have "by marriage" on that question? the only scenario I can think of is this:

I assume it means related by your own marriage, not someone else's marriage. So related to your own wife only regarding marriage.