International student with Crohn's disease.

GunWooJin

Hello! I am a Korean student currently studying in an international school in Cambodia. This is my senior year and I am planning to apply to Australian universities. However, as a person with Crohn's disease, I am facing a challenge. At the moment, I am taking a medication called Humira every 2 weeks. The medication is really expensive and currently, the South Korean government is covering up some of its cost. Unfortunately, I can only bring 3 months worth of Humira with me abroad. It is financially impossible for me to travel back to South Korea from Australia every 3 months!

So here are my main questions. Is it possible to get Humira in Australia? Are there health insurances that help cover up its cost? Is it possible that my student visa will be rejected because of Crohn's? Please help me! I am so so so clueless about health insurances! I don't know where to start.

Sincerely, GunWoo

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of the heath insurers student policies, or check Bupa or others online. You can see in the details that the maximum payout for medicine with NIB is $300 a year - so even if you did qualify because it is pre-existing the total they will pay equates to max $300 a year for ALL of your medicines TOTAL.

You may find other companies pay a bit more, but probably charge a bit more for the insurance.

That same website mentions "PBS" who handle most medicines in oz. (pbs.gov.au) It is available in oz - you may want to check http://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/search?term=Humira I am afraid I do not understand the prices/schedules listed.

As an international student, you are required to take out health insurance.   This article explains: 

https://www.studiesinaustralia.com/studying-in-australia/how-to-study-in-australia/student-visas/overseas-student-health-cover

Looking at the health insurance policies, they all seem to exclude pre-existing conditions for the first twelve months, so you would have to pay the full cost of your medication for the first year.    In Australia, it's $1269 per cartridge, plus the syringe.   Even after the twelve months are up, you will probably find there's an annual limit to how much the health insurance will pay for medicines so that's worth checking.