FBI report on 482

dogsill

Hi there, we’re set to come over on my husbands 482 visa from nyc to Sydney. Unfortunately, I have an arrest from 20 years ago, domestic violence, violation of restraining order. My boyfriend at the time was bipolar and things were messy,violent and controlling. I ended up the night in jail, some community service and 2 year probation. Since then my record has been clean including my NYC police check report. Of course my husband is getting nervous. We’ve explained the circumstances to his employer and are attaching a letter etc with the visa application. I searched the character standings for spousal visa and the crimes are more for 12 month + arrests, child smuggling, drug, terror crimes etc I’m hoping this embarrassing charge doesn’t cause an alarm and slow down the process. We’re hoping to fly out next month. We’ve already put in notice on our apt, I need to book movers and tickets. He’s set to start work Dec 10th! 

has anyone had experience with their background check not being clean. We were hoping we’d have a 5 day turn around on the visa.  Thanks 

6 hours ago, dogsill said:

Hi there, we’re set to come over on my husbands 482 visa from nyc to Sydney. Unfortunately, I have an arrest from 20 years ago, domestic violence, violation of restraining order. My boyfriend at the time was bipolar and things were messy,violent and controlling. I ended up the night in jail, some community service and 2 year probation. Since then my record has been clean including my NYC police check report. Of course my husband is getting nervous. We’ve explained the circumstances to his employer and are attaching a letter etc with the visa application. I searched the character standings for spousal visa and the crimes are more for 12 month + arrests, child smuggling, drug, terror crimes etc I’m hoping this embarrassing charge doesn’t cause an alarm and slow down the process. We’re hoping to fly out next month. We’ve already put in notice on our apt, I need to book movers and tickets. He’s set to start work Dec 10th! 

has anyone had experience with their background check not being clean. We were hoping we’d have a 5 day turn around on the visa.  Thanks 

Five days? WIth character issues? You'll be the envy of the forum!!!

Little point to note though - you mention spousal visas, you wont be on a spouse visa, you will be on a 482 as your husband's dependent. I know it sounds picky, but the correct visa terminology can make a difference. Spouse visa rules are very different to temporary work visa rules.

Good luck!

Here are the current processing times: With a character complication, I would expect yours to be on the high end, so plus 70 days. I would allow three months. Your husband will not be able to go first as all of the visas are granted at the same time. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-skill-shortage-482

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update - we got our visa in 4 days! My husband flies out tomorrow am and I leave next weekend with the kids. It almost happened way too fast and the shippers were booked and I secured a large move cube and now am panicking I have too much stuff. Anyway, his company had priority processing - so, all the stress about my past conviction was wasted energy and tears 😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 01:03, dogsill said:

Just wanted to give an update - we got our visa in 4 days! My husband flies out tomorrow am and I leave next weekend with the kids. It almost happened way too fast and the shippers were booked and I secured a large move cube and now am panicking I have too much stuff. Anyway, his company had priority processing - so, all the stress about my past conviction was wasted energy and tears 😉

It seems you are the envy of the forum! Congrats and just goes to show that other than Migration Agents most on here don't really know all the answers.

9 hours ago, mallan82450 said:

It seems you are the envy of the forum! Congrats and just goes to show that other than Migration Agents most on here don't really know all the answers.

I don't think the membership profess to be professionals, they respond (as you do) best they can and often advise people to consult RMA's