Diesel Motor Mechanic - Vetassess- 189 visa

kartina4

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so thank you very much in advance for helping out and I apologise  for the long post.

My partner and I are looking into starting our 189 visa preparation in early 2019. I was looking into vetassess last night and now I am a bit worried about the number of years my partner can actually claim for skilled employment. I believe he can pass the assessment, but I am not sure he can claim the skilled work points for the EOI.

Here is a summary of his experience:

2011-2014 - Completed a 3-year apprenticeship in mobile plant mechanics (which falls under Diesel mechanic)

2014-2019 - 5 years post apprenticeship work experience for 3 different companies, including the apprenticeship provider; doing the exact same job under a very similar job title.

During and after his apprenticeship, he obtained:

·       IMIAL Level 2 Award in Knowledge of Employee Rights and Responsibilities for the Automotive Sector (QCF)

·       IMIAL Level 2 Diploma in Lift Truck Maintenance and Repair Principles (QCF)

·       IMI Level 3 Diploma in Lift Truck Maintenance and Repair Competence

·       IMI Level 3 Diploma in Lift Truck Maintenance and Repair Principles (VRQ)

·       IMI Level 4 Certificate in Advanced Studies for Master Technicians (VRQ)

In the vetassess eligibility pack for his trade it says:

·       ‘at least 4 years’ experience as a Mobile Plant Mechanic

·       the range of skills and knowledge required by a Mobile Plant Mechanic. Your 4 years’ experience may include time spent in workplace-based training, up to a maximum of 12 months

They do not mention anything regarding formal qualifications. My questions is, would they:

A.       count the last year of his apprenticeship + 3 years of the work experience, making the first two year of the apprenticeship a waste of time

B.       count the 3 year apprenticeship + 1 year work and everything after as skilled work

Or does the skills assessment have nothing to do with how many years of skilled work he can claim? Meaning, he passes the vetassess, but he can claim 5 years on the EOI:

3 years apprenticeship- not relevant

5 years employment- skilled

Thanks!