nursing in the UK

rachel byrne

Goodday from Melbourne.

We are hoping to move back to the UK in 2019.

I trained as a nurse and midwife in the UK and have worked as a maternal and child health nurse here for the past 12 years.

Has anyone doe this then worked as a health visitor in the UK?

I am registered as a nurse and midwife in the UK but unsure how to secure a health visitor role

4 hours ago, rachel byrne said:

Goodday from Melbourne.

We are hoping to move back to the UK in 2019.

I trained as a nurse and midwife in the UK and have worked as a maternal and child health nurse here for the past 12 years.

Has anyone doe this then worked as a health visitor in the UK?

I am registered as a nurse and midwife in the UK but unsure how to secure a health visitor role

Hi, I have just returned to Health Visiting here in the UK but I was registered here before I left and wasn’t a mat and child health nurse over there, so different to you . I don’t think the NMC will recognise your mat and child health nursing to register you as a health visitor and getting a straight answer from them is almost impossible. 

Some places will employ band 5 nurses in the 0-19 team but they usually end up working only in school nursing because they are so short staffed and the job is just safeguarding. 

When I re registered with the NMc, which was its own nightmare, I could only apply for health visiting because I had been registered previously. Have a look at their website on rejoining the register it might offer some information.

I think the 2 models are very different. They follow the 4-5-6 here, it’s not hard to pick up, I’ve been flung back in with a full caseload. Been away 13 years, what could possibly go wrong!

You won’t get a job as a HV without that registration so NMC is your first stop. You might find somewhere to sponsor you through the course but they only have limited funding though, no reason you can’t get on one though.

I’ll ask at work today. Whereabouts are you planning on moving to?

• Like 1

Not sure if you are checking back on here but the opinion at my work is that you will need to do the health visiting course here. You can apply for a sponsored place on the training. They advertise these on the jobs website, nhs jobs or trac jobs. They don’t seem to be sponsoring many people each intake tbh. Most I’ve seen is about 4. Depends where you are returning to obviously.

Probably not what you want to hear but hope it helps.