Australia’s Best Fish and Chip Award

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest, I’ve struggled to find a really good fish and chip shop, I think the fish itself is amazing, but the chips are the same wherever you go, I think they all use frozen chips. Although saying that even homemade ones can taste rubbish so I think it depends on what potatoes are in season and what oil is used.

What is your favourite fish? I like Barramundi. I had mullet for the first time a few days ago and enjoyed that.

Judged Awards

New South Wales & Australian Capital Territory

Beach Street Seafoods

Northern Territory

Frying Nemo

Queensland

Fish & Chips Co

South Australia

Stunned Mullet

Tasmania

Tasmanian Gourmet Seafood

Victoria

Blu by Australian Seafood

People’s Choice Awards

New South Wales & Australian Capital Territory 

Pelican Rocks Seafood Restaurant and Café

Northern Territory

Frying Nemo

Queensland

Fresh Coral Seafoods

South Australia

Sotos Fish Shop

Tasmania

Fraggles Fish and Chips

Victoria 

Seafood on Evans

Western Australia

I'm not a lover of chip shop bought chips and there's no way that I'll have deep fat fryer in my house. I recently tried Bird's Eye Golden Crunch Made with Tassie Potoatoes oven chips and they were the best chips I've had in 23 yrs. I don't like the other bird eye brands but these Tassie spud ones surprised me. Just 15 mins in the oven and nice an crunchy on the outside and fluffy spud inside. If you're expecting "greasy spoon" type pommy chips you won't be suited but if you can appreciate them for taste and texture, you'll be surprised.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, s713 said:

They don't even taste of potatoes.

No issue with the fish, very nice. The chips are crap.

Same here. In Melbourne I find that the fish is great, with plenty of choice to pick from, but the chips are terrible. Are they frozen rather than fresh, is that the difference? If anyone knows a chippy in Melbourne that does British style chips then please let me know. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Same here. In Melbourne I find that the fish is great, with plenty of choice to pick from, but the chips are terrible. Are they frozen rather than fresh, is that the difference? If anyone knows a chippy in Melbourne that does British style chips then please let me know. 

From my observations the chips all seem to come frozen from the blue plastic bag.

But sounds like good challenge! 

Edited by unzippy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Unhealthy battered rubbish.  No thank you very much 

Am I missing something every fish and chips I've seen in Australia is exactly the same just with different fish.

The frozen chips don't bother me much it's almost impossible to cook them badly, so they are pretty consistent, whereas in the UK the quality could change quite dramatically, even in the same shop. 

• Thanks 1

Actually not a huge fan of chips as such.  However it is very apparent that potato varieties available to buy here are not on a par with the UK.  No substitute for Maris Pipers, King Edwards etc.  Hardly surprising really as the climate (and soil?) in much of Australia is probably not as conducive to potato growing as the UK.

Australia more than makes up for it in other ways.  Mango season now mmmm.  I tried mangoes in the UK and hated them so when I first had one here I was amazed how great they taste.....and the texture.  Like other soft tropical fruits I expect they don’t travel that well.

23 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Actually not a huge fan of chips as such.  However it is very apparent that potato varieties available to buy here are not on a par with the UK.  No substitute for Maris Pipers, King Edwards etc.  Hardly surprising really as the climate (and soil?) in much of Australia is probably not as conducive to potato growing as the UK.

Australia more than makes up for it in other ways.  Mango season now mmmm.  I tried mangoes in the UK and hated them so when I first had one here I was amazed how great they taste.....and the texture.  Like other soft tropical fruits I expect they don’t travel that well.

Yeah, but fish & mangoes sounds horrible 😁.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

However it is very apparent that potato varieties available to buy here are not on a par with the UK.  No substitute for Maris Pipers, King Edwards etc.  Hardly surprising really as the climate (and soil?) in much of Australia is probably not as conducive to potato growing as the UK.

King Edwards grow here in Tasmania and is the variety we have always used for roast potatoes at home.  However, the varieties used for most commercial chip frying is dominated by considerations such as potato shape.   Russet Burbank used to be (and I think still is) the one most popular for commercial chips in Oz as its long cylindrical shape produces the most chips per potato.

1 hour ago, welljock said:

Am I missing something every fish and chips I've seen in Australia is exactly the same just with different fish.

The frozen chips don't bother me much it's almost impossible to cook them badly, so they are pretty consistent, whereas in the UK the quality could change quite dramatically, even in the same shop. 

Always chose grilled.  If they don’t have that option go elsewhere.  And pick one with fresh cut chips, not frozen 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, s713 said:

Yeah, but fish & mangoes sounds horrible 😁.

Actually fish and mango go really well together.  Crispy coated pan fried whit fish and mango salsa is one of my top summer dishes.  Don’t think the battered fish would work but the crumbed stuff from fish and chip shops would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Our market has Maris Pipers and King Edwards.  It is one of the best farmers markets in the country though.  Food Lovers TV series rated it the best.  Oliver and Blumenthal rate Ranger Russet as better than Maris Pipers for chips fwiw.

Have to agree with others that I've found the fish to be great - our local shop does the lightest batter.  Chips are always a bit of a let down - even from the 'English' chip shop.  When I was a teen, my friends parents owned a chip shop, we used to earn some pocket money at weekends by putting the potatoes in the peeling and chipping machines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Perthbum said:

UK cold waters ;produce the best fish in the world IMO

And the best fish and chips. I could have guaranteed that you'd pipe in with those answers even though it's a dead cert bet that you haven't tasted either from all around the world. <yawn>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1