Extending a tourist Visa.

Kenneth Wragg

Hello:

can you extend a tourist Visa? Our Tourist Visa is for 3 months, we want to apply for a Bridging Visa while awaiting our Aged 804 Visa. We have a Visa Agent but wanted to ship our effects from U.K. and hope that the Bridging will be in place. We don’t know what to put on the shipping form regarding the question: Are you coming as a tourist: The next question is: Are you taking up residency in Australia for the 1st time. We will be taking up residency on the issue of the Bridging Visa. We have one daughter who is a Australian Citizen trust someone can help.

Thank you all for your help/ advice to date on other issues.

KGW

If you are coming as a tourist but tell them you're intending to stay, you run the risk of being sent home and banned. Your bridging visa kicks in when your tourist visa expires providing you have put in your application for a parent visa. Wait until you've got a visa which allows you to stay, albeit precariously. 

2 hours ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

can you extend a tourist Visa? Our Tourist Visa is for 3 months, we want to apply for a Bridging Visa while awaiting our Aged 804 Visa. We have a Visa Agent

You should ask you Agent to explain the process and operation of the bridging visa, as you appear confused as to how it works.

2 hours ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

We have a Visa Agent but wanted to ship our effects from U.K. and hope that the Bridging will be in place. We don’t know what to put on the shipping form regarding the question: Are you coming as a tourist: The next question is: Are you taking up residency in Australia for the 1st time. We will be taking up residency on the issue of the Bridging Visa. We have one daughter who is a Australian Citizen trust someone can help.

Normally it is not recommended to make irreversible decisions such as shipping all of your belongings, until you have secured a Permanent Residency visa.

Considering the long processing time for this visa, this is a very risky strategy to take.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

can you extend a tourist Visa? Our Tourist Visa is for 3 months, we want to apply for a Bridging Visa while awaiting our Aged 804 Visa.

55 minutes ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

Just to say I am aware of how the Bridging Visa works.

I was just trying to be helpful, as based on your comment above, it does not appear that you do.

I appreciated your reply but it did not answer my genuine question: namely on the shipping form it asks is your trip a tourist, is it to live in Australia, and so on. We want to live in Australia near our only daughter who is a Australian Citizen but cannot do this until we acquire a bridging Visa, we are aware that a bridging Visa can only be issued if you are in Australia, so do we just put on the form tourist visit? but again we have a Migration agent and hopefully we will get the bridging Visa after meeting the criteria “ quote from visa agent. Think we will go with tourist visa because we will enter Australia on this visa can you say if this will meet with any issues?

KGW

Thank you for your reply. We have a Visa Agent, we have been told that we have to apply for a bridging Visa after expiry of our tourist visa, once granted this will allow us to stay in Australia, the aged parent visa 804 we will never get because of the 30 year wait. We wanted to be clear what we put on our shipment form and not to put anything that would jeopardise our situation, again we only have one daughter who is a Australian Citizen, any advice would be appreciated, but getting different advice from people.

KGW

3 minutes ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

Thank you for your reply. We have a Visa Agent, we have been told that we have to apply for a bridging Visa after expiry of our tourist visa, once granted this will allow us to stay in Australia, the aged parent visa 804 we will never get because of the 30 year wait. We wanted to be clear what we put on our shipment form and not to put anything that would jeopardise our situation, again we only have one daughter who is a Australian Citizen, any advice would be appreciated, but getting different advice from people.

KGW

The different advice is the nature of the forum as most will not been in your situation of shipping household contents on a tourist visa.  It may be best to contact a shipping company who can advise you of any legalities that they might face.  I personally, wouldn't ship anything until I knew I had the correct visa in hand - but if you're determined to bring them out with you - then as your visa is a tourist one that is what you would need to put - I can't comment if that would jeopardise anything or not.  It may be worth, packing, storing with the company and once you have the bridging visa then giving the go ahead to ship.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

I appreciated your reply but it did not answer my genuine question: namely on the shipping form it asks is your trip a tourist, is it to live in Australia, and so on. We want to live in Australia near our only daughter who is a Australian Citizen but cannot do this until we acquire a bridging Visa, we are aware that a bridging Visa can only be issued if you are in Australia, so do we just put on the form tourist visit? but again we have a Migration agent and hopefully we will get the bridging Visa after meeting the criteria “ quote from visa agent. Think we will go with tourist visa because we will enter Australia on this visa can you say if this will meet with any issues?

Shipping companies have different rules and some will not accept consignment on a tourist visa.  

Best if you do not arrange shipping until you at least have a bridging visa in hand, which will be after the 804 is lodged.

29 minutes ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

We have a Visa Agent, we have been told that we have to apply for a bridging Visa after expiry of our tourist visa, once granted this will allow us to stay in Australia

This is not how a bridging visa works. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

KGW

With respect if you already have a visa agent, then he/she is the best person to answer your questions. Eg you don’t apply for a bridging visa your agent should know that.

Raul who answered your post is a very respected MA who has helped numerous posters over the years, and his comments should be respected. 

Reference your shipping question, best ask the shipping company for advice, you won’t be the first.  Years ago my daughter sent several boxes of her things here before she came on a WHV, and there was no problem, but it was only a few boxes. Sorry Have no idea if she had to explain her reason.

• Like 1

Most - if not all - shipping companies require a copy of the visa of the person shipping their belongings. This is partly because if that person ships with no visa in place, and the visa is refused, the company ends up with a container full of stuff that belongs to someone with no right to enter the country to where the goods are being delivered.

Hence they will want a copy of the visa. You (the OP)  will be travelling on a tourist visa so thats what you need to tell them. Some companies will not ship on a tourist visa, so you will need to engage with shipping firms to find out their policies. 

As for the whole tourist to bridging visa to PR issue - the details on here show that you just don't understand the process, and if you follow the road you have outlined here you risk finding yourself onshore with no valid visa and thus in a lot of trouble. For your sake, go back to your agent and get them to give you all the details of the process very clearly.

1 hour ago, ali said:

The different advice is the nature of the forum as most will not been in your situation of shipping household contents on a tourist visa.  It may be best to contact a shipping company who can advise you of any legalities that they might face.  I personally, wouldn't ship anything until I knew I had the correct visa in hand - but if you're determined to bring them out with you - then as your visa is a tourist one that is what you would need to put - I can't comment if that would jeopardise anything or not.  It may be worth, packing, storing with the company and once you have the bridging visa then giving the go ahead to ship.

Leaving aside all the bridging visa matters is it possible for the shipping to be done in your daughter’s name as an Australian citizen - or is the actual ownership of the goods an impediment?

9 hours ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

Can you extend a tourist Visa? Our Tourist Visa is for 3 months, we want to apply for a Bridging Visa while awaiting our Aged 804 Visa. We have a Visa Agent but wanted to ship our effects from U.K. and hope that the Bridging will be in place. We don’t know what to put on the shipping form regarding the question: Are you coming as a tourist:

You are not getting answers because you are using the wrong terminology.  It's extremely important to get used to using the right terminology now, so that if you are questioned by Immigration, you don't say or do things which might seriously affect our ability to enter and stay in Australia.  

From your previous posts, this is what I think you are planning to do:

You have applied for a tourist visa.  On arrival in Australia, you will immediately apply for the Aged 804 Visa.  That should give you enough time to receive a Bridging Visa before your tourist visa expires.  You will then very likely live out your days on the Bridging Visa.

Terminology is important. For instance, if you said to an Immigration Officer, "we will apply for a 804 when our tourist visa expires", that would be saying you will wait until you are illegally in Australia before applying - not the impression you want to convey!  You don't want to risk being refused entry due to a few careless words.

Edited by Marisawright

To get back to your original question.

You have a highly experienced agents advising you NOT to ship your goods on a tourist visa, and I agree. I am not an agent, but this is my understanding:

It is not illegal to arrive in Australia on a tourist visa with the intent to apply for a longer-term visa.  However, it is illegal to arrive in Australia on a tourist visa with the intent to remain permanently come hell or high water.  It's up to the immigration officer on arrival to decide your intent.

The question he will ask himself is - "If, for some reason, they don't get the Bridging Visa, will they do the right thing and go home?  Or have they already gone too far down the road, and will refuse to leave regardless of visa?"   If he decides the latter, you will be sent back on the plane and may get a three-year ban.

If I were an immigration officer, faced with a couple who had already  shipped all their worldly goods to Australia, I would be concerned you had already made up your mind, and might be tempted to remain in Australia even if the bridging visa is denied.  You may be very upright, honest citizens, but the immigration officer can't judge your character. He can only judge you on your actions - and your actions are those of someone jumping the gun.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2