You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Maureen Fernando

Parent temporary contributory visa subclass 173

Hi, I am planning to apply subclass 173 offshore and need to know the turn around time. It was on the immigration site says 48 months but, this is costly process that the normal one which you have to wait for 30 years to know the decision. So, I would like to know if you pay this costly price you have to wait that long? and I want to know if anyone got this visa so far.

I'll proceed this by my own without any third party but I need some ideas from you.

Thanks,

Maureen

It's likely to be about 6 years now I believe not 4

34 minutes ago, Maureen Fernando said:

Hi, I am planning to apply subclass 173 offshore and need to know the turn around time. It was on the immigration site says 48 months but, this is costly process that the normal one which you have to wait for 30 years to know the decision. So, I would like to know if you pay this costly price you have to wait that long? and I want to know if anyone got this visa so far.

I'll proceed this by my own without any third party but I need some ideas from you.

Thanks,

Maureen

I think from reading this blog that there are a few 173 applicants that wish they had gone straight for the 143,. 

143 lodged 23 June 2015. Acknowledged 8 July 2015.

Heading for Toowoomba. 

Invitation to prepare documents received 3 May 2018

Police checks applied for 8 May. 

Form 80 11 May. Medicals 15 May.

AOS application 9 May. Interview 8 November. Bond paid? Acceptance letter? 

So what difference does it make going straight for the 143 instead,  apart from the extra money?  But with the 173 you don't have to wait months for AOS to process. 

Hi to All,

Thanks for replying me back really appreciate it.

I have got these info from the Australian immigration site. It says will take 48 months which is 4 years hence, the cost is high. and it says that we cannot directly apply under subclass 143 first to apply on subclass 173 and temporary can be in the country and while you stay apply for 143 but the total cost being divided on these two. 

Did anyone applied and got it yet please?

Maureen

What it states on the immigration site regarding timeframe is always short of what it actually takes.  From all the evidence around the length of the queue it's best to look at 5 years minimum and likely nearer 6. 

Oh yes you still have to pay. Pay the high amount and wait 5/6 years or pay the much lower amount and wait for up to 30 years 

We applied for the 173 first and then went for the 143 once we were here in Australia.  At the time we applied the processing time from the 173 to the 142 was about 6 months.  The processing time is considerably longer now.  I am not exactly sure how long but if you post in the main parent visa thread I am sure someone will be able to tell you. Also processing times seem to be getting longer and longer and there are certain advantages to being a permanent resident rather than a temporary resident. For example, the clock for various things that  you may be entitled to only starts ticking once you become a permanent resident;  you need to have been a permanent resident for 10 years before being entitled to claim an Australian aged pension.    

On 11/11/2018 at 22:16, Maureen Fernando said:

Hi to All,

Thanks for replying me back really appreciate it.

I have got these info from the Australian immigration site. It says will take 48 months which is 4 years hence, the cost is high. and it says that we cannot directly apply under subclass 143 first to apply on subclass 173 and temporary can be in the country and while you stay apply for 143 but the total cost being divided on these two. 

Did anyone applied and got it yet please?

Maureen

Hi Maureen.

You can apply for a subclass 143 visa straightaway - and in my experience most do, for reasons already discussed (mainly a higher cost if you do the two step strategy).

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com