Paramedic or Midwife?!

Gemma86

We have family living in perth and eventually would like to join them when my studies are finished! I have until December to make up my mind..I'm trying to research which is the better career choice for australia. Any info would be greatly appreciated it's between a paramedic or Midwife?!

With a niece who has just qualified as a paramedic, I'd say midwifery as paramedic jobs aren't that easy to come by, especially for new graduates.  No idea whether either is still on the visa list if you need to get a skilled visa.  Mind you, WA used to have the least qualified paramedics in the country - though that may have changed now, there was talk a few years back of national skill levels, registration etc.

Do what you want to do regardless of visas. The occupation lists change regularly - at least every year and by the time you are in a position to apply, it is impossible to know if either, or any particular occupation will be available. Given it is several years, the chances are the entire criteria will be different than today. 

I would agree with Verystormy and choose the one which you are really interested in as neither will guarantee you a visa.  As Australia produces it's own nurses,  jobs for overseas nurses are getting harder to come by and graduates are struggling to get substantive positions.  It's hard to say of course if by the time you had completed your studies that the demand would have lessened or increased or if the jobs were still on the lists.   Currently for jobs that are advertised in my service, preference is given to those with PR or Citizenship.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2018 at 05:37, ali said:

I would agree with Verystormy and choose the one which you are really interested in as neither will guarantee you a visa.  As Australia produces it's own nurses,  jobs for overseas nurses are getting harder to come by and graduates are struggling to get substantive positions.  It's hard to say of course if by the time you had completed your studies that the demand would have lessened or increased or if the jobs were still on the lists.   Currently for jobs that are advertised in my service, preference is given to those with PR or Citizenship.

Midwives would have their own set of issues presumably?