Heart disease, stents, triple bypass, etc.

MARYROSE02

It is entirely typical that just I have been whingeing on another post about my colds one of my brothers is in hospital recovering from major heart surgery - triple bypass I think. Is that what it means if all three arteries are blocked/almost blocked? He had operation on Friday and has moved from ICU to CCU today, hopefully.

Both my brothers have had heart problems and both suffered chest pain and both chose not to go straight to A & E. One had a stent put in last year and the other is experiencing the more serious operation now.

I suppose it is a measure of my having better control of health anxiety that I did not rush off to my doctor demanding tests. I'm the oldest one too and it seems to have come in order of youth.

I was already taking a statin and 100 mg aspiring every day and unlike my brothers I gave up smoking 40 years ago. My doctor told me that "it's not all in the genes" and  I am not showing any symptoms.

I remember my other brother, staying with me at the time, asking if I had any antacids. I never realized he had been experiencing chest pain for a few days.  I think he was experiencing angina whereas the one in hospital now was very close to a heart attack.

I take a low dose aspirin daily too. Not recommended by any doctor but I started a few years ago when there was a lot of talk of it being a good idea,

Now there is talk of it not being any use but I will keep going with it.

It sounds like a good idea to thin the blood a bit. Might prevent strokes or heart attacks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

It is entirely typical that just I have been whingeing on another post about my colds one of my brothers is in hospital recovering from major heart surgery - triple bypass I think. Is that what it means if all three arteries are blocked/almost blocked?

Not necessarily. They could be 3 blockages in the same feed but if there were two blockages close together they can bridge them with one by-pass. I had a quad bypass but I had 5 blockages. Two of them were close together so they used one bypass to cover both. hereditary cholesterol problems the cause.

• Like 1

My brother is out of hospital today - Thursday 8th November which is good news. I still have not been to see him because of my bloody cold. I went back to the doctor who listened to my chest again and said "no need for antibiotics." I am actually a bit better. In the meantime my other brother flew in today and needed a wheelchair from the plane because his gout flared up. He was worried about DVT though I think the doctor he saw today said all the blood thinners he's taking would prevent that.

• Like 2

I had a stent in the LAD, whatever that is, a few years back.  

On 05/11/2018 at 09:03, MARYROSE02 said:

It is entirely typical that just I have been whingeing on another post about my colds one of my brothers is in hospital recovering from major heart surgery - triple bypass I think. Is that what it means if all three arteries are blocked/almost blocked? He had operation on Friday and has moved from ICU to CCU today, hopefully.

Both my brothers have had heart problems and both suffered chest pain and both chose not to go straight to A & E. One had a stent put in last year and the other is experiencing the more serious operation now.

I suppose it is a measure of my having better control of health anxiety that I did not rush off to my doctor demanding tests. I'm the oldest one too and it seems to have come in order of youth.

I was already taking a statin and 100 mg aspiring every day and unlike my brothers I gave up smoking 40 years ago. My doctor told me that "it's not all in the genes" and  I am not showing any symptoms.

I remember my other brother, staying with me at the time, asking if I had any antacids. I never realized he had been experiencing chest pain for a few days.  I think he was experiencing angina whereas the one in hospital now was very close to a heart attack.

Smoking.....