You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

suhailsayed

Looking to make good friends!

I moved to Sydney, Australia, on a Skilled PR Visa. Looking to make good friends here. Let me know if interested. Thanks.

1 hour ago, suhailsayed said:

I moved to Sydney, Australia, on a Skilled PR Visa. Looking to make good friends here. Let me know if interested. Thanks.

Go and make friends with the natives.  They really are quite nice...

• Like 2

I would recommend joining a club devoted to whatever sport/hobby you are interested in.

Google "Meet Ups" and see what you can find - activities from A to Z including expat groups. I do not like expat groups though. I have lots of Pommie friends but it grates when i hear a group of Poms in a pub. I've gone native!

It takes a while to establish yourself.  Sometimes you make friends at work, going for drinks on Fridays say.

I was at a party last night and the people i knew are all linked to one guy i met in a hostel 8 years ago and much of his network comes from playing in a squash league.

Looking back 30 years when i was lonely i wished I did some voluntary work. Perhaps i should push myself to do some now.

• Like 1

I think there is a bit of a trap in hanging around with people from your C of O all the time because locals tend to avoid them!

• Like 1

I think it’s good to reach out in all directions (including online forums-why not!) when you move somewhere because you really can end up with a diverse bunch of friends which over time whittles down to a few really strong honest friendships. I’m sure there may be some in the same boat in Sydney who may be up for a meet up! Good on you for making the effort

• Like 1

5 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I think there is a bit of a trap in hanging around with people from your C of O all the time because locals tend to avoid them!

Well, that depends on who you class as a "local?" Born and bred in Australia? Born and bred overseas but "gone native" (as I perhaps have).

When I hear English accents I often ask where they are from. I was sat at one table with my Aussie mates and on the next table were 4 young English guys and I heard one mention Hampshire so I asked him where in Hants? Andover to which i said "Home of The Troggs" which drew a blank look until I mentioned "Love is All Around."

Whenever I go to pub to watch Tottenham play it is a 50/50 mix of Pommies and Aussies.

Reminds me, if you follow a football club that is another way of building a social network, including following Australian clubs.

• Like 1

What I meant was if you get a group solely of say, Greeks, Italians, Vietnamese or English, people tend to leave them alone because they figure they don't want to mix .Which is often the case.