register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Bumblebee

Choosing Shipping - Movecube or Allied Pickfords

Hi All, 

I think I've got the things I'm shipping down to my minimum and filling the virtual movecube on sevenseas website I will need a medium move cube (3mcubed). The price quoted is $879 door to door, with 230GBP due when its in the UK. So in all around $1300 (depending on the exchange rate for the 230). This is  me packing it all and loading/unloading.

Allied Pickfords have quoted $1418 for 3mcubed - I'm just confirming with them this is an all in price and there won't be any extra to pay. I also believe this is them packing everything (?) but again I'll double check but they definitely do the inventory: (this was in their email to me)

This price includes:
• Wrapping & padding of all furniture items in Allied Pickfords exclusive export wrapping.
• Preparation of complete inventory of all packages.
• Loading of consignments into appropriate freight containers.
• Transport from your residence to destination.
• Pickup and Delivery on a weekday

So for $100 more is the Allied Pickfords a better choice? Or is it actually just as easy to pack and load myself, do people like the movecubes? 

My concern is that I need to check all I really have is 3cubicmeters so I'll kind of have to pack before anyway rather than leave it all out for them to pack. 

Help me choose! 

Thanks  In Advance 🙂

For the $100 more I would let them do it as it will take a lot of stress away from you.  Just make sure insurance is in place as well.

2 hours ago, Bumblebee said:

Hi All, 

I think I've got the things I'm shipping down to my minimum and filling the virtual movecube on sevenseas website I will need a medium move cube (3mcubed). The price quoted is $879 door to door, with 230GBP due when its in the UK. So in all around $1300 (depending on the exchange rate for the 230). This is  me packing it all and loading/unloading.

Allied Pickfords have quoted $1418 for 3mcubed - I'm just confirming with them this is an all in price and there won't be any extra to pay. I also believe this is them packing everything (?) but again I'll double check but they definitely do the inventory: (this was in their email to me)

This price includes:
• Wrapping & padding of all furniture items in Allied Pickfords exclusive export wrapping.
• Preparation of complete inventory of all packages.
• Loading of consignments into appropriate freight containers.
• Transport from your residence to destination.
• Pickup and Delivery on a weekday

So for $100 more is the Allied Pickfords a better choice? Or is it actually just as easy to pack and load myself, do people like the movecubes? 

My concern is that I need to check all I really have is 3cubicmeters so I'll kind of have to pack before anyway rather than leave it all out for them to pack. 

Help me choose! 

Thanks  In Advance 🙂

Check that what you think is 3m is what they work it out as. When I had a removalist come out they said what I had was alot more in cubic metres than what I had worked out because they use so much packing in the boxes they don’t get as much in a box as I would. So use more boxes. Hope that makes sense!

I ended up using a move cube and they were great. I had a large cube and the driver helps you. Couldn’t fault them. If you are going with insurance then check out an independent insurer like Letton Percival as the removalists are expensive and people have had trouble getting a pay out from them.

Good luck.

Another thought to consider is that Allied Pickfords is quoting to put your stuff in a shared container with other people, which means there's more risk of stuff going missing.  

Interesting that the Movecube driver helped you, Amber - I wonder if that's always the case?   We had a Taxibox once (a local equivalent).  The driver didn't help at all and we found it a very stressful process.  The box arrived in the morning and we had only a few hours to get it filled. Although we had done a test pack it was still really hard to work out how best to pack stuff in. We realised too late that we should have bought more packing blankets and other padding for the furniture. We also realised that we are getting too old to handle such heavy work!   

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

Another thought to consider is that Allied Pickfords is quoting to put your stuff in a shared container with other people, which means there's more risk of stuff going missing.  

Interesting that the Movecube driver helped you, Amber - I wonder if that's always the case?   We had a Taxibox once (a local equivalent).  The driver didn't help at all and we found it a very stressful process.  The box arrived in the morning and we had only a few hours to get it filled. Although we had done a test pack it was still really hard to work out how best to pack stuff in. We realised too late that we should have bought more packing blankets and other padding for the furniture. We also realised that we are getting too old to handle such heavy work!   

I think you can add driver assist when you book the cube. It was included in my large cube price. I got it all out onto the deck and he packed it in the cube. They aren’t allowed to enter the house. Driver helped me unload into the garage at the other end. I’ve seen the taxicubes, bit rough they don’t help.

I only did it because I had very little furniture otherwise I couldn’t have managed on my own. Boxes are nice and even shaped to pack which made it easier. I only used official packing boxes that are a standard size which made it less like a game of tetris!

• Like 1

We used above cube and were very happy with it. The only surprising thing was how much it held. We thought we had calculated well, but could have fitted a lot more in. 

On 03/11/2018 at 20:18, Amber Snowball said:

Check that what you think is 3m is what they work it out as. When I had a removalist come out they said what I had was alot more in cubic metres than what I had worked out because they use so much packing in the boxes they don’t get as much in a box as I would. So use more boxes. Hope that makes sense!

I ended up using a move cube and they were great. I had a large cube and the driver helps you. Couldn’t fault them. If you are going with insurance then check out an independent insurer like Letton Percival as the removalists are expensive and people have had trouble getting a pay out from them.

Good luck.

Yes this was my thought - they'll.pack it all and make it take more room. 

Wondering is it OK to mix boxes as you.like in movecube, so pad things with clothes rather than packing paper etc? 

6 hours ago, Bumblebee said:

Wondering is it OK to mix boxes as you.like in movecube, so pad things with clothes rather than packing paper etc? 

Yes.

6 hours ago, Bumblebee said:

Yep. My boxes were a big old mish mash. Padded with clothes, tea towels, pillows, cuddly toys!

• Like 1

I wonder if it is worth shipping any household items at all... The estimated transit times for movecube are pretty much 3 months.  I think that within 3 months of being back home we would get sick of waiting and just buy new stuff.  What have others done?  did you take much furniture? or just personal items in boxes?

4 hours ago, TazG said:

I wonder if it is worth shipping any household items at all... The estimated transit times for movecube are pretty much 3 months.  I think that within 3 months of being back home we would get sick of waiting and just buy new stuff.  What have others done?  did you take much furniture? or just personal items in boxes?

Everyone makes their own choice.   There are two reasons it's worth considering.  One is cost. Most of us accumulate our household goods gradually and never add up how much they cost.  It's scary how much you spend when you have to outfit an entire home from scratch.  

The other is time.  You're going to have to find the shops you like, for a start.  Forget about buying just the right sofa or picking the right dining table - you'll have to settle for what's in stock.  Many stores sell big furniture to order so you'll have a six week wait - you might as well have shipped yours.  You'll have several trolley loads of towels, cutlery, crockery, bedlinen, pots, pans, small appliances...it's a lot to grapple with while you're trying to cope with new jobs and getting kids into new schools. 

I strongly suggest that before you make your own decision, you do a pretend shop in Australia, to see how much it will cost you to replace all your household goods.  Where you decide to shop depends on your tastes and preferences.   Harveynorman.com.au is a popular choice for furniture in Australia.   if you're more on the budget end, you can buy cheap stuff at Amartfurniture.com.au or Fantasticfurniture.com.au, but bear in mind the quality is sometimes dodgy.  If you're an IKEA fan then you could use ikea.com.au.  For white goods, there's Thegoodguys.com.au.  Don't forget pots, pans, sheets, towels, cutlery, crockery - Myer.com.au or Kmart.com.au.

Bear in mind the average person will spend a month in a holiday place when they arrive, so there's the first month gone already.  Most people would ship their goods a month or so before they leave, and either "camp" in their own home with a few basics (perhaps borrowed from family)  or go and stay with the folks.  That means you won't have to survive very long without all your stuff.  It can make sense to leave beds behind, then you can buy new when you arrive and at least have something to sleep on.  Chances are you'll buy a better outdoor setting for your new Australian home, so you can use that as your dining table and seating until your own stuff arrives. There are ways to manage.

Having said all that, if all your current furniture is completely knackered and you'll be glad to see the back of it, that's obviously a different story.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke