how to set up utilities

SWMOY04

hello all.

still on my.mission of moving. two weeks to go now. just secured a decent house in Mernda, we were lucky to have someone go and view and apparently the landlord liked our profile. Our viewer is also going to furnish with beds and a few kitchen basics for our arrival.

paid my bond this morning and my first rent will be due just before I take off from UK.

my next quandary is utilities.

I'm not liking the idea of landing in a half furnished house void of electricity etc.

how quick/slow are the utility companies in setting up? can I set up whilst I'm out here?

our lease starts a week prior to our arrival as we have friends who have volunteered to collect our furniture and do some cleaning if needed... so I figured the utilities could also get started

7 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

hello all.

still on my.mission of moving. two weeks to go now. just secured a decent house in Mernda, we were lucky to have someone go and view and apparently the landlord liked our profile. Our viewer is also going to furnish with beds and a few kitchen basics for our arrival.

paid my bond this morning and my first rent will be due just before I take off from UK.

my next quandary is utilities.

I'm not liking the idea of landing in a half furnished house void of electricity etc.

how quick/slow are the utility companies in setting up? can I set up whilst I'm out here?

our lease starts a week prior to our arrival as we have friends who have volunteered to collect our furniture and do some cleaning if needed... so I figured the utilities could also get started

If you are renting through a Property manager they should arrange to transfer the utilities into your name at the start of your lease. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I’ve never experienced that, again it may depend which state you’re in

@SWMOY04  is in Victoria where in my experience you do it yourself as you say. 

You can probably go online and sign up asap to get it started in time for your move if you don’t want to ring them. 11 hour time difference is a pain!  The services don’t need a huge amount of lead time to get things done. From memory the agent tells the water people but do double check that......

• Thanks 1

Just now, Drumbeat said:

I could be mistaken then, perhaps our property manager just checks the tenant has done it.

They will put the tenants in touch with the providers, I’ve had that, but not actually arranged the contract and start date. Don’t have that much experience in the rental market to be fair so they might do more!

tha is for your input everyone... I'm doing a few night shifts UK time next week so I'll make a few calls and update on here in case someone else faces my situation

thanks again to you all.

next series of questions... Victoria residents...are there multiple utility providers for different utilities 

e.g.

gas and electricity in UK

-First utility, British gas, utility warehouse etc

phone and broadband

-Virgin, BT, Post Office, Talk talk.

is this the same in oz? if so... are there any comparison sites? if not who are the good providers of utilities, by utility

thanks again

28 minutes ago, SWMOY04 said:

next series of questions... Victoria residents...are there multiple utility providers for different utilities 

is this the same in oz? if so... are there any comparison sites? if not who are the good providers of utilities, by utility

Yes it is the same.   

Comparethemarket.com.au

Canstarblue.com.au

iselect.com.au

There are government sites - energymadeeasy.gov.au and compare.energy.vic.gov.au

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey all... it's been a whirlwind if a first week... 

I feel.like I've been on a week long shopping spree... but a t last the house is starting to feel like a home...

the gas and electricity were on on our arrival... one last call whilst at Manchester and the utility company confirmed all was set. 

Telstra sorted us for NBN within 12 hour period... even the sales guy said that was some record. Their shop has the region's best manager for 2017 I believe... he must be doing something right..  his team is ever happy and he knocked off a few charges and gave a few discounts here and there.

My wife has discovered the joys of Kmart🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣... I'm still #TeamIkea

hoping to sort out our own car today or tomorrow and see if I can return my rental car early.

our neighbours are great... all young couples like us... one of the guys has been lending me his tools...which was kind

work starts on monday... but.....garden is a mess 😣😣😣😣

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SWMOY04 said:

I feel.like I've been on a week long shopping spree... but a t last the house is starting to feel like a home...

the gas and electricity were on on our arrival... one last call whilst at Manchester and the utility company confirmed all was set. 

Telstra sorted us for NBN within 12 hour period... even the sales guy said that was some record. Their shop has the region's best manager for 2017 I believe... he must be doing something right..  his team is ever happy and he knocked off a few charges and gave a few discounts here and there.

hoping to sort out our own car today or tomorrow and see if I can return my rental car early.

our neighbours are great... all young couples like us... one of the guys has been lending me his tools...which was kind

You're here!  😀

All the best for your new life in Australia.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SWMOY04 said:

Fantastic😎

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SWMOY04 said:

Excellent! You’ll be settled in in no time. 😀

Good luck with the job. 

• Thanks 1