Arriving Soon - Langwarrin

M&KC

Me, the Mrs and our dog Monroe will be landing in Oz on the 4th January 2019. We are booked for the first month in Langwarrin at an Airbnb. I am looking for advice on how to handle our first few weeks, places to find a rental that will take our dog also, getting a car, tax, medicare etc etc .

All advice welcome.

Welcome to Langwarrin!

for Cars, check out wells road in frankston. A lot of main dealers down there, as well as a number of used car dealers towards the north end  close to the basketball centre / kananook station. - most are pretty good.

Depending whereabouts you are in Langy you can dog walk at Lloyd Park ovals (the cricket ovals are gated but unlocked so you can let them off. ) there is also a leash free area towards Somerville on the warrandyte road.

Berettas is a good pub and does good cheap food every night, although you'll need to go a bit further afield for more sophisticated dining!

We've lived in Langwarrin for 3 years now and love it. Happy to answer any questions.

Guest The Pom Queen

Landlords can no longer refuse pets in their rentals without the consent of VCAT and not many will go down that route. I suppose a way around it could be by saying your rental application was unsuccessful. It’s like people with a disability they can’t discriminate but they always find someone without a disability for the job. 

‘I would recommend telling realestate agents that he is an outside dog. 

Another place to look for car dealers is Dandenong. Also great for furniture shopping. 

‘For places to take your dog, you have 74 acres at the KCC Park which is Dogs Victoria https://dogsvictoria.org.au/family-pet/about-dogs-victoria/who-we-are/kcc-park-(state-dog-centre).html

Dogs are allowed on the beach apart from Dec - March where it can only be before 9.30 and after 19.30

https://www.frankston.vic.gov.au/files/assets/public/our_community/animals/pdf/free_roam_areas_brochure_november_2016.pdf

Medicare, you can just turn up at one of the Medicare offices Frankston, Fountain Gate, Mornington, Hastings, Cranbourne, Cheltenham and Dandenong.

Tax File Number you can apply online if you meet their criteria https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Permanent-migrants-or-temporary-visitors---online-TFN-application/

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 01:20, kevsan said:

Welcome to Langwarrin!

for Cars, check out wells road in frankston. A lot of main dealers down there, as well as a number of used car dealers towards the north end  close to the basketball centre / kananook station. - most are pretty good.

Depending whereabouts you are in Langy you can dog walk at Lloyd Park ovals (the cricket ovals are gated but unlocked so you can let them off. ) there is also a leash free area towards Somerville on the warrandyte road.

Berettas is a good pub and does good cheap food every night, although you'll need to go a bit further afield for more sophisticated dining!

We've lived in Langwarrin for 3 years now and love it. Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for the advice, that's great to hear. 

Realistically its likely ill have to work in Melbourne main city / CBD area. Would you recommend train or car? Do you know what the commute is like from Langwarrin?

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 01:20, kevsan said:

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:11, The Pom Queen said:

Landlords can no longer refuse pets in their rentals without the consent of VCAT and not many will go down that route. I suppose a way around it could be by saying your rental application was unsuccessful. It’s like people with a disability they can’t discriminate but they always find someone without a disability for the job. 

‘I would recommend telling realestate agents that he is an outside dog. 

Another place to look for car dealers is Dandenong. Also great for furniture shopping. 

‘For places to take your dog, you have 74 acres at the KCC Park which is Dogs Victoria https://dogsvictoria.org.au/family-pet/about-dogs-victoria/who-we-are/kcc-park-(state-dog-centre).html

Dogs are allowed on the beach apart from Dec - March where it can only be before 9.30 and after 19.30

https://www.frankston.vic.gov.au/files/assets/public/our_community/animals/pdf/free_roam_areas_brochure_november_2016.pdf

Medicare, you can just turn up at one of the Medicare offices Frankston, Fountain Gate, Mornington, Hastings, Cranbourne, Cheltenham and Dandenong.

Tax File Number you can apply online if you meet their criteria https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Permanent-migrants-or-temporary-visitors---online-TFN-application/

Thanks - all really helpful. Much appreciated. 

8 hours ago, M&KC said:

Thanks for the advice, that's great to hear. 

Realistically its likely ill have to work in Melbourne main city / CBD area. Would you recommend train or car? Do you know what the commute is like from Langwarrin?

train is generally easier/quicker/cheaper although Metro trains are currently having a bad month mainly during evening rush hour.

Car can be 50mins - 2 hours depending on your luck.

Train - i drive to Seaford station on the Frankston line (kananook and Frankston stations are options, but parking is a nightmare). it takes about 10-15mins and then the express train runs every 8 minutes or so and is 50 minutes into Flinders street. - So i leave the house at 7am, get the 7:22 and get into the city at about 8:15

You could drive to cranbourne and take the train from there - i did it once. Never again. no parking and its only single track so trains only run every 30 minutes or so.

If you get your parking paid for then its an either or and you could chop and change depending on the day.. Parking can be v expensive in the CBD depending on when you arrive / leave, but at least $10-15 per day plus fuel. Train is $8.40 per day and parking free at the station.

Thanks again. 

When buying a car, it'll probably be used to save money when we first get there until I find work. Is there anything specific I need to know? Do they expect a degree of haggling in the used dealerships?

I am thinking for something like a ford focus with 50,000 km on it initially as the mrs has had them for years and is comfortable driving it. 

good to hear. we have just had some bad news though. our langwarrin air bnb host has just cancelled out reservation and taken his property off the site so we have just had to emergency rebook to stay in Eltham initially. Well still be coming down to langwarrin to take a look around though so thanks for the local advice.

11 minutes ago, M&KC said:

good to hear. we have just had some bad news though. our langwarrin air bnb host has just cancelled out reservation and taken his property off the site so we have just had to emergency rebook to stay in Eltham initially. Well still be coming down to langwarrin to take a look around though so thanks for the local advice.

I'm not really surprised.  To be successful, an AirBnB needs to be in a place where visitors and holidaymakers want to stay.  Langwarrin isn't on the beach and it's a long way from the CBD, so the host has probably realised he's not getting enough bookings to make it worth his while.  Eltham is nice.