register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

dondons1uk

How to research good primary schools and catchment areas

Hi All

We are looking to buy in Melbourne in the New Year and before doing so I'd want to research the local primary schools and check what catchment area the postcode would be in.

Can anyone let me know if there is a central body logging this information?  Or is by local authority websites?  Or just general googling each primary school?

We are looking in several areas so it could took a while if there isn't a central system

Thank you

British citizen, married to Australian citizen.

Met 2014.  Married 2015.  Son born 2017.  

Applied 309/100 on 26 April 2018.  All medical and police checks uploaded by June 2018.

Son's Australian citizenship by descent granted May 2018.

Entered Australia on tourist 600 visa on 1 September 2018 to await the future......

As far as I know it (I am a teacher) if you live outside a school's catchment area you can ask them if your child can register. If you live within the catchment area they must take you - even if they are full. I think they can tell you no, but you are within your rights to approach the Local Education Authority to over-rule it. I personally hadn't heard of a house being in two catchment areas before, but I know that catchment areas can be unusual things, and a small geographical area may well hold more than one school catchment area. 
Your best bet is to ask the estate agents and schools. Good luck!

Schools with specific catchment areas will advertise this on their website.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

18 hours ago, bougti said:

As far as I know it (I am a teacher) if you live outside a school's catchment area you can ask them if your child can register. If you live within the catchment area they must take you - even if they are full. I think they can tell you no, but you are within your rights to approach the Local Education Authority to over-rule it. I personally hadn't heard of a house being in two catchment areas before, but I know that catchment areas can be unusual things, and a small geographical area may well hold more than one school catchment area. 

I personally hadn't heard of a house being in two catchment areas before, but I know that catchment areas can be unusual things, and a small geographical area may well hold more than one school catchment area. 

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox