Ross86

Question about nursing experience required

Hi All,

I'm currently studying to be a nurse in the UK with the dream of one day moving to Australia. Ideally, I would like to move as soon as possible post graduating. However, even if I sit the expert English test I will still be 5 points short of the magic 65 due to my age and lack of 3 years experience.

I was wondering, does the time I spend in practice during my degree count as experience? Furthermore, I was a carer for over 5 years before training to be a nurse, would this class as experience or does it have to be experience as a registered nurse?

Thanks

Ross

Unfortunately it will only be experience gained after you graduate. I know that may disappoint, but emigrating is massively expensive, so look on it as a chance to save some cash. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ross86 said:

Hi All,

I'm currently studying to be a nurse in the UK with the dream of one day moving to Australia. Ideally, I would like to move as soon as possible post graduating. However, even if I sit the expert English test I will still be 5 points short of the magic 65 due to my age and lack of 3 years experience.

I was wondering, does the time I spend in practice during my degree count as experience? Furthermore, I was a carer for over 5 years before training to be a nurse, would this class as experience or does it have to be experience as a registered nurse?

Thanks

Ross

They want the time you spend working as a nurse, without restrictions, when they are asking for experience... which cancels out student and carer experience as whilst they are noble posts, they are different to what a nurse does

Melbourne... ahhhhhh😊

On 29/10/2018 at 15:07, Ross86 said:

Hi All,

Thanks

Ross

Hello, 

Its only the experience you gain after you graduate and qualify as a nurse that counts.

However for the 189 visa, I found I only needed 3 months work experience to register for AHPRA and then did the modified skills assessment with ANMAC.

Other visas e.g. the state sponsored visas-you would definitely need more experience for them to even consider nominating you for a visa. 

I would definitely recommend getting more work experience as it makes you more employable when you move over to Australia. Otherwise you would be competing with Australian-trained newly qualified nurses.

Edited by PsychNurse
More info

***Psych Nurse Visa 189 Journey***

22/2/17 AHPRA app. rcvd...22/5/17 AHPRA rqts more info & approval to consider app. beyond 90 days....01/6/17 AHPRA full reg.....20/7/17 PTE A - L:84; R:90; W:90: S:78 (for ANMAC)....23/8/17 ANMAC app & evidence rcvd...1/9/17 ANMAC positive result....2/9/17 IELTS Gen L:8; R;8; W:8; S:9 - Superior English (boost visa points)...4/9/17 EOI submitted (65pts)..20/9/17 Invite rcvd...3/10/17 Visa app. lodged (PCC + medicals + Forms 80 & 1221 front loaded)...Visa Granted 17/11/17  (Direct Grant)..Permanent move to Australia 7/12/18 😄