Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Jem

Withdrawing from visa application

Recommended Posts

Hi we have our 187 visa submitted to immigration. The employer has paid all upfront and said we could pay back out of wage when we get there.

We are really starting to think its the wrong decision. The sponsor in Geraldton, WA. And I just feel we may be too isolated. 

I just don't know where we would stand with costs already paid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 00:18, Jem said:

Hi we have our 187 visa submitted to immigration. The employer has paid all upfront and said we could pay back out of wage when we get there.

We are really starting to think its the wrong decision. The sponsor in Geraldton, WA. And I just feel we may be too isolated. 

I just don't know where we would stand with costs already paid

Possible that they may try to recoup the costs from you if they have something in writing from you to say you wanted them to go ahead (that may constitute a contract).


I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably you are doing the best thing- better now rather than get there and hate it! Otherwise you could go and regard it as a warm holiday for a few months. It would certainly be an experience if nothing else.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2018 at 03:18, Jem said:

Hi we have our 187 visa submitted to immigration. The employer has paid all upfront and said we could pay back out of wage when we get there.

We are really starting to think its the wrong decision. The sponsor in Geraldton, WA. And I just feel we may be too isolated. 

I just don't know where we would stand with costs already paid

Are you having second thoughts about migrating to Australia, or is it just Geraldton you're worried about?

If you're still keen to migrate to Australia, then I would not even consider withdrawing. 

It's very, very hard to get a job in an Australian city while you're still in the UK. If you want to migrate and live in Perth, you would have to qualify for an ordinary skilled visa, wait to get invited and then arrive with no job to go to - and the prospect of having to survive on no salary for several months, while you look for work.   The 187 gives you a much smoother transition and a chance to experience the "real" Australia for a couple of years. I think it's a good opportunity.

  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the "real Australia"? Geraldton is a fairly big town with plenty of places to go to for a night out and some nice beaches close by. Wouldn't be a bad place to start out.

If it was Kalgoorlie I might advise differently. All depends what you come for though. I'm sure some people like living in Kal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its such a hard decision. All we ever did was dream about Australia and trying to get there. 

I will be graduating as a social worker next year and I worry about possibly leaving a good job I might get here and then being out of work a while, while my qualification is assessed to work in oz.

We have three small.children so worry about having no help with them. 

And just the whole stress of upping and moving with three small children. 

But on the other hand when I do think of staying here, in my particular town, I kind of feel a little deflated, like im just choosing the easy way.

My agent recommends just leaving things as they stand for now.

It's hard 😱

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on this fwiw is not to move with a family of 5 unless both parents are 100% committed to it and prepared to accept that there will be problems to overcome, particularly in the early years.

Doubts are fair enough I think but if you cannot find it in your hearts to ultimately give this 100% should you decide to go for it, this will be so much harder.  Only the two of you really know this.

Bear in mind that if you stay put now will it ever get any easier to do in the future than now?  If not, then realistically it may be now or never so perhaps you should reach a decision based on that thought.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

  • Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jem said:

Its such a hard decision. All we ever did was dream about Australia and trying to get there. 

I will be graduating as a social worker next year and I worry about possibly leaving a good job I might get here and then being out of work a while, while my qualification is assessed to work in oz.

We have three small.children so worry about having no help with them. 

And just the whole stress of upping and moving with three small children. 

But on the other hand when I do think of staying here, in my particular town, I kind of feel a little deflated, like im just choosing the easy way.

My agent recommends just leaving things as they stand for now.

It's hard 😱

 

 

Where do you live now jem? It won't be easy with 3 kids but if it's been a dream for a long time give it a go.

If you've not qualified yet you may or may not getba decent job in the UK. If your hubby works and the kids are in daycare it will hardly be worth working. 

Not a criticism btw, just that social workers don't make an awful lot and daycare isn't cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Where do you live now jem? It won't be easy with 3 kids but if it's been a dream for a long time give it a go.

If you've not qualified yet you may or may not getba decent job in the UK. If your hubby works and the kids are in daycare it will hardly be worth working. 

Not a criticism btw, just that social workers don't make an awful lot and daycare isn't cheap.

We live in Burnley, Lancashire. We have just been chatting and think we going to give it a go. We would be silly to throw an opportunity away.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We lived in Gee Cross near Hyde before we emigrated, so not that far away.

I can see the attraction.😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha I know, it is rather bleak around here. Even when we think of staying I think we are just trying to convince ourselves its 'not that bad' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jem said:

Ha ha I know, it is rather bleak around here. Even when we think of staying I think we are just trying to convince ourselves its 'not that bad' 

Bleak is a great description and sums it up pretty well. Specially with winter coming up. We had the typical end terrace house, built in 1890 and a day out with the 2 year old was take him down to the local duck pond with the cover over the pram, feed the ducks for a couple of hours.😃

The wife had started looking at school options too and the choice was going to be pretty dire.

Aus and Perth has been excellent for us. We came with no jobs to come to, didn't know anyone, we hadn't been before and only knew what we'd read about Perth.

Our eldest is a sparkie and worked FIFO for a few years. He used to work 6 months then buzz off travelling for 6 months. He loves music festivals and has been to Tomorrowland at least twice. He's in Whistler, Canada at the moment as he loves snowboarding and generally having a good time.

The youngest has autism and struggled with school. He's got a job in a local café by the beach though now, which has been perfect for him. Doesn't drive yet but is happy to go everywhere on his bike.

We still love the beach and lifestyle as much as when we first came.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2018 at 03:18, Jem said:

Hi we have our 187 visa submitted to immigration. The employer has paid all upfront and said we could pay back out of wage when we get there.

We are really starting to think its the wrong decision. The sponsor in Geraldton, WA. And I just feel we may be too isolated. 

I just don't know where we would stand with costs already paid

give it ago, after 2 years, you would be able to switch to a different city if you are not happy anyways. Its becoming very hard to migrate to aus, so dnt miss the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I know in my heart that we have to try. Its an amazing opportunity. Thanks for your input everyone. I suppose fear is a natural part of the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Bleak is a great description and sums it up pretty well. Specially with winter coming up. We had the typical end terrace house, built in 1890 and a day out with the 2 year old was take him down to the local duck pond with the cover over the pram, feed the ducks for a couple of hours.😃

The wife had started looking at school options too and the choice was going to be pretty dire.

Aus and Perth has been excellent for us. We came with no jobs to come to, didn't know anyone, we hadn't been before and only knew what we'd read about Perth.

Our eldest is a sparkie and worked FIFO for a few years. He used to work 6 months then buzz off travelling for 6 months. He loves music festivals and has been to Tomorrowland at least twice. He's in Whistler, Canada at the moment as he loves snowboarding and generally having a good time.

The youngest has autism and struggled with school. He's got a job in a local café by the beach though now, which has been perfect for him. Doesn't drive yet but is happy to go everywhere on his bike.

We still love the beach and lifestyle as much as when we first came.

Ahhh brilliant....sounds amazing. I just need to get there quickly because im always changing my mind. We are so lucky to be going to a job 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been to Geraldton for many years but I believe it's quite a decent town these days. There's also some lovely areas to visit not too far away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jem said:

Ha ha I know, it is rather bleak around here. Even when we think of staying I think we are just trying to convince ourselves its 'not that bad' 

Just going to throw this into the mix. 

I agree, Burnley isn't somewhere I would want to go. I travel the length of the U.K.  with work, and it is one of the few places I would be happy to move to. But, you only need to go a tiny distance to haveba totally different life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We lived in Preston for a while, and as the OP put it, we found Lancashire to be petty bleak too. We moved when our eldest was 3 months, and we now have 2 under 2 living in Brissie. It was the best decision we ever made.

Don't get me wrong, its not easy with only one salary, and my spouse being with the bubs at home, but having the opportunity to make the most of a warm climate makes it worth it.

Good luck, whatever decision you guys make.

  • Like 1

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. F2w ID Check/Rcvd: 15/08/16, 23/08/16 HCPC/SoR CoGS sent: 23/08/16. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2018 at 07:07, Paul1Perth said:

Bleak is a great description and sums it up pretty well. Specially with winter coming up. We had the typical end terrace house, built in 1890 and a day out with the 2 year old was take him down to the local duck pond with the cover over the pram, feed the ducks for a couple of hours.😃

The wife had started looking at school options too and the choice was going to be pretty dire.

Aus and Perth has been excellent for us. We came with no jobs to come to, didn't know anyone, we hadn't been before and only knew what we'd read about Perth.

Our eldest is a sparkie and worked FIFO for a few years. He used to work 6 months then buzz off travelling for 6 months. He loves music festivals and has been to Tomorrowland at least twice. He's in Whistler, Canada at the moment as he loves snowboarding and generally having a good time.

The youngest has autism and struggled with school. He's got a job in a local café by the beach though now, which has been perfect for him. Doesn't drive yet but is happy to go everywhere on his bike.

We still love the beach and lifestyle as much as when we first came.

Ahhh brilliant....sounds amazing. I just need to get there quickly because im always changing my mind. We are so lucky to be going to a job 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×