Port Douglas / Cairns

kevsan

We stayed in a villa with private pool in a place called Niramaya - You can book direct with them or some of the villas are privately owned and advertised on Stayz.

Nice Balinese style villas, 5 min drive from the main town. Fully equipped and amazing to chill by your private pool.

We got taxi's or Ubers to town if we were going to be eating and drinking out - Very cheap for the short ride in.

Oh for the kids (and the big kids) cane toad racing at the Iron Bar in town!

Enjoy 🙂

Edited by DeeTowers
typo
  • Like 1

Depending on your interests, you might enjoy travelling up to the Atherton Tablelands and visting the various scenic waterfalls.  We spent a day mozeying around up there in April 2017.

Our boys (and their father and grandfather) enjoyed the Australian Armour and Artillery Musem which is just north of Cairns. Great if you are into tanks and APCs.  It is the largest such museum in Australia.

Hartleys Crocodile Farm is also a fun day out with lots of other Aussie animals there to see as well as the crocs.  You can hand feed the cassowaries if you are there early enough in the morning.

There is also an Aquapark in a lake with large inflatables at Smithfield just north of Cairns too near to where you get off the Skyrail. 

Palm Cove is a lovely spot to visit with good restaurants.  You can go kayaking around Double Island and see turtles and dolphins.  If you are there for the first Sunday in the month then the craft markets at Palm Cove are also worth a visit.

• Like 2

We had a holiday in Port Douglas and Cairns a couple of years ago. Give the Tin Shed combined clubs place on the river a visit. It's in a great spot, food and drinks good and not too expensive. You can sign in with your driving licence as a visitor. Lovely bar upstairs too. Pokeys downstairs but not obtrusive. Subsidises the food and drink I guess.

You are going in the wet season mind you so it's likely to be wet, hot and steamy.

When we were there it was towards the end of the dry season and the beach in Port Douglas was safe to swim at. They have a nice small surf club there. Don't think I'd be risking the sea at that time of year though.

Preferred Port Douglas to Cairns. Palm Beach would be worth a visit too.

We went to the reef and really enjoyed it. Great day out. Took a bit of advice from the travel guy at the hotel and didn't go on the biggest boat. Still went with quicksilver but on a smaller boat that went to 4 different diving spots. 

Some nice bars around the marina where you can sit and people watch. 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

I don’t know how far you want to travel but a lovely day out (even better if you can stay overnight) is to drive up the Kuranda range and head to the falls and lakes up there, not forgetting the curtain fig tree. 

‘Falls worth seeing are Milla Milla

BB3C5840-242F-4312-A49F-10CC0DF8B45A.jpeg

Malanda Falls

AD0F7723-30A1-43B3-B48C-A532EC10CD9A.jpeg

33F9876C-3727-4AD2-A4E3-28202200C12D.png

Lake wise i think Lake Barrine is the nicest, they have a lovely cafe. If you want to swim with turtles and fish then Lake Eachem

BE655FE6-8649-433A-A06F-9F302D6468F3.jpeg

Dont forget the two fig trees up there. The curtain fig is the one all the tourists head to, but many don’t know that you also have the Cathedral Fig Tree, this one is at the top of the Gillies Range so you could head here then go back down the Gillies to Gordonvale and back that way. 

C8A2454C-39BB-4BB5-ABA3-81C62FE6B439.jpeg

C18D9BB6-FC7A-4198-8351-28B72A3D8183.jpeg

If you can can stay overnight I highly recommend the Tree House Canopy, you can feed possums and parrots that come on to your balcony. Just be warned they love to sneak inside if you have food. You can often see their resident cassowary hanging around. http://www.canopytreehouses.com.au/

Guest The Pom Queen

Another place I would highly recommend if you have the time is Paronella Park. I wasn’t expecting much when we went but I absolutely loved it. Please do the tour if you go.

01BD729E-A59D-4CED-86F9-BF368300AAD4.jpeg

302D3D29-99AA-4DF0-A012-E0D7F078B0C7.jpeg

852585EC-5554-4BFD-A0C0-A69B84D74F22.jpeg

1386AA38-9B0E-432B-BD7C-097E3BA4A3A8.jpeg

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry, don’t forget the Daintree National Park. Don’t get mixed up with the village of Daintree, it’s nice but not the area you see in the photos which is Cape Tribulation. You will need to go across on the ferry to get there. 

8C36F191-99EC-41AD-AC12-D109DA58D8AE.jpeg

5C015D51-4D73-408C-ADDF-DDA6713E8AE5.jpeg

Guest The Pom Queen

In regards to the reef trips Port Douglas is a great base as it’s closest to the reef. Another option is to visit Green Island (touristy) or Fitzroy Island 

• 2 weeks later...