Getting Through The Screens

npkz

The last time I had to contend with the job market, I walked into temp agency offices, told my story, and got sent out on assignments.  From there I made permanent,  got promoted and sailed on for many years.  Having moved to Melbourne recently, I find that none of the agencies (temp or permanent) will see me for an initial assessment meeting.   Every one said to submit a CV for a specific position and then wait for them to contact me.  My background does not fit into the square box to be ticked format, so I anticipate and have had no contacts via that route.  In fact, my plan is to start over at the bottom in logistics again and work my way up.

Does anyone have experience with getting access to temp recruitment agents? 

Are there any agencies that still talk to walkins?

Is going directly to private employers my best approach now?  In my experience, temp/casual workers always come from agencies.

Thanks in advance

Phillip

Interesting feedback.    Your experience echoes mine - that the best way to get temp assignments is to walk in and register in person, rather than trying to get anywhere on the phone or online.  

It sounds like that doesn't work any more, at least in  Melbourne.  I wonder if that applies to all skillsets or just particular occupations?   

I assume you've got yourself an ABN and are offering yourself as a private contractor.  In that case, companies will hire direct so making some direct approaches could be worthwhile.  LinkedIn is a good place to look.

Thanks for your feedback.  I have not been able to get a meeting with either permanent or temp agencies, pitching as manager and as labourer.  Your idea to set up as a contractor is interesting, although I thought most companies went to temp agencies for short term labour.  What is the approach and pitch when contacting a company as a contractor?

5 hours ago, npkz said:

Thanks for your feedback.  I have not been able to get a meeting with either permanent or temp agencies, pitching as manager and as labourer.  Your idea to set up as a contractor is interesting, although I thought most companies went to temp agencies for short term labour.  What is the approach and pitch when contacting a company as a contractor?

In Australia, it's fairly simple to set up as a "sole trader".  You simply apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN) and you are officially in business.  Obviously you have to keep track of your income and expenses, but you simply include your business income in your personal income tax return each year.

The company can then engage you as a contractor, but instead of paying you a salary, you submit a monthly invoice for your hours. 

https://www.business.gov.au/planning/business-structures-and-types/business-structures/sole-trader