Medication.

Kenneth Wragg

Nobody gets discounts on medications unless they are on benefits of some kind or another.  You might get generic brands rather than named brands which do work out cheaper usually.  But there is a threshold amount above which any cost is absorbed by the system - around the $35 mark I think.  

1 hour ago, Melbpom said:

There is a safety net if you keep a record of all the prescriptions you pay for over a year, then once you get to a certain limit then future medicines are a discounted rate.

Just google Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme safety net.

The OP will be on a bridging visa for a parent visa, so they are only covered by Medicare through the reciprocal agreement with the UK.  That doesn't give them the full range of benefits, so I don't know if they would be eligible for the safety net.

Edited by Marisawright

The PBS safety net threshold this year for none concessions is $1521,80 , medications (depending on what they are) can cost up to $39 per prescription.

What I did find for some of our out patients was that if they were on medications e.g. at a dose of 125mg and that was dispensed with 100mg and 25mg tablets they would be charged for both items.  

Guest The Pom Queen

Definitely ask for the generic as the don’t always offer it. You can check prices at Chemist Warehouse Online. I also highly recommend you use them to get your scripts as they are cheaper. https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/prescriptions

Its a shame you can’t get the safety net as it brings most of the meds down to $5.40, I reached the threshold a few months back which surprised me as a lot of my meds are private off label use which isn’t covered under the PBS. 

What I would suggest is seeing if your GP will do a 6 month supply before you leave. I know when my mum came over for long holidays the GP would write her a script and she would bring all her meds with her. She would then fly home for a couple of months and stock up again before coming back

Guest The Pom Queen
44 minutes ago, ali said:

The PBS safety net threshold this year for none concessions is $1521,80 , medications (depending on what they are) can cost up to $39 per prescription.

What I did find for some of our out patients was that if they were on medications e.g. at a dose of 125mg and that was dispensed with 100mg and 25mg tablets they would be charged for both items.  

What gets me is that they charge the fee no matter how many tablets you get. One of mine I get 100 tablets in the other I get 10. 

@ali if they are tablets rather than capsules could they go for a higher dose and half them? 

‘Although something I learnt whilst being in here this time is that if a tablet is scored it can be halved, if not it means they can’t guarantee if you half it that the meds are distributed equally, so you could end up with a full dose in one half and nothing in the second half.

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

What I would suggest is seeing if your GP will do a 6 month supply before you leave. I know when my mum came over for long holidays the GP would write her a script and she would bring all her meds with her. She would then fly home for a couple of months and stock up again before coming back

That's a great idea which will get them through the first six months, but they are coming on a bridging visa for the non-contributory parents' visa.

I think that means they won't be able to travel outside Australia so going back for top-ups won't be an option (and am I right in thinking, they are tightening up on "medical tourism" so they'd be refused anyway?).   

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

That's a great idea which will get them through the first six months, but they are coming on a bridging visa for the non-contributory parents' visa.

I think that means they won't be able to travel outside Australia so going back for top-ups won't be an option (and am I right in thinking, they are tightening up on "medical tourism" so they'd be refused anyway?).   

They will be allowed the 3 month worth to bring in but yes on a bridging visa they won’t be able to do what Mum did and keep hopping back. You can get away with 6 months by either providing a letter explaining you require 6 months dispensed or the Dr stating you take the tablet twice a day instead of once etc. 

Re medical tourism you have to show that it’s your own personal supply. So if they tried to bring more than 6 month supply in they may get questioned. I’m sure the official ruling is 3 months but customs are quite slack in allowing 6 because they know most visitors from the UK stay longer. 

‘I know a couple of WHV girls who have brought in 2 years of the contraceptive pill and haven’t had them take off them.

Guest The Pom Queen

Just thinking another way that members have done this is by bringing out a couple of months supply and then getting a relative in the UK to get their meds and post them on. Although I think most Drs like to see you once a year (may have changed now) to issue repeats

It does say here 3 month supply https://www.odc.gov.au/travellers