Owning cats and dogs in NSW

scubacam

Hi guys , what’s your experience of owning cats and dogs in aus?

We are bringing ours with us from (please save any responses about leaving them behind)

But someone has said cats will likely be shot ???

We are locating about 1/2 hours outside Sydney. They are outdoor cats but sleep inside over night

Guest The Pom Queen

Unless you live rural don’t worry they won’t be shot. However, it is common practice for neighbors to take them to the pound and you get charged a release fee plus boarding costs each time. 

‘To be honest, Australia isn’t cat friendly like the UK. Obviously you have cat lovers but the majority are kept indoors. If you know what Suburb you are moving to have a look at the local council animal management laws for that area, however, please be prepared for them to change. 

‘Even though we have 40 acres we built an enclosure for ours I will see if I can find some photos, but we got the cat netting from here https://catnets.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy5L6hOyK3gIVVCUrCh1Rqw35EAAYASAAEgLElPD_BwE

Guest The Pom Queen

At the moment I’m not home so don’t have access to all my photos but this may give you some idea. We did it like a lean to so they have the full kitchen windows, they usually sit on there as it’s one of the open kitchen indoor/outdoor windows which has a serving hatch which they think makes a great shelf. It also has access to one of our back doors (we have two so we only use this for the cats)

6B9654DC-4F87-435C-8853-CFFE3EC37389.jpeg

EE4A7D7B-01FA-41EF-8422-1F9C5C9168F3.jpeg

94479B93-871A-4731-A304-24E7AEED061C.jpeg

Guest The Pom Queen

The good thing about the catnet is that it’s portable so you can take it down easy if you move. Altogether it probably cost us $250 to build, here is the invoice

EA98C086-B1A2-46DD-8AE2-458B16273D98.jpeg

4 hours ago, scubacam said:

Wow that’s so helpful thank u, I’m worried that this would be a nightmare with children and their friends leaving doors open and cats escaping

Most homes have flyscreens and doors so I used them as a cat container within the house as you can leave the doors/windows open then but still be secure, these doors usually have a self close on them as well. I also had a cat run, got mine from catmax and have bought it with me to the uk. Cat used a cat door to access it on the upper deck, he likes a good view!

If you are handy you can buy the equipment for a run pretty cheaply and whack it up yourself. I paid to have mine put up as I don’t trust my diy skills. 

They’ll be fine. Check the council for rules. You’ll be fine. 

Good luck!

On 16/10/2018 at 19:24, scubacam said:

We are locating about 1/2 hours outside Sydney. They are outdoor cats but sleep inside over night

Can you clarify, is that a half hour outside Sydney? Or 1 to 2 hours outside Sydney? And do you mean from the Sydney CBD or the edge of the city?

Edited by Marisawright