Taking Medication on Holiday - What is illegal

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Many times I’ve gone away and totally forgot about all the meds I have packed. In fact on our last trip to America I had a suitcase full of drugs and all my feeding tube supplies. I didn’t even think to declare. 

‘I can’t believe panadol is banned in the UAE.

UNITED STATES

The US bans addictive narcotics such as antidepressants and sleeping pills without a doctor’s note, so if you’re relying on sleeping pills to get through the long-haul flight, plan accordingly.

The US Customs and Border Protection says medicines containing potentially addictive drugs or narcotics need a written statement from a doctor. These drugs should also be kept in their original packaging with no more than a 90-day supply.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

There are some really innocent products on the blacklist here, including common contraceptive pills and children’s Panadol.

Possession of any drugs that are classified as illegal can lead to imprisonment in many Gulf countries. The UAE specifically bans anything containing codeine, Valium or Ritalin, as well as medicine to treat HIV/AIDS and hepatitis.

comparethemarket.com.au found there are 70 banned medicines in the UAE, including the Diane 35 and 36 contraceptive pills, some nicotine lozenges and children’s Advil and Panadol.

For medication necessary for emergency or health reasons, travellers may be allowed to carry 30 days of treatment if they have prior permission from the UAE Ministry of Health, a valid prescription and a valid certificate from the Australian health authority.

The UAE has some of the toughest drug laws in the world. 

THAILAND

Restrictions apply to some drugs that contain codeine. Medication to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), which is normally prescribed by a doctor in Australia, is also considered a controlled substance in Thailand.

HONG KONG

In Hong Kong, it is illegal to be in possession of sleeping tablets and medications used in treating certain conditions, such as erectile dysfunction or anxiety, without a doctor’s note.

SINGAPORE

Singapore considers medicinal chewing gum, like nicotine gum, to be a prohibited substance. It also bans anti-anxiety pills, sleeping pills and strong painkillers without a licence.

Common medicines, such as those used to treat diabetes or high cholesterol, are banned if you have more than a three-month supply.

JAPAN

Japan is one of the friendliest countries you can visit but it has very strict rules on what’s allowed to be carried in and out of the country.

Dexamphetamine, which is used to treat ADHD, and pseudoephedrine, which is found in some cold and flu tablets, can be a reason for detainment.

Medicines containing codeine or morphine need a narcotic certificate before entering the country.

Greece has a harder line against codeine than many other European countries.Source:istock

CHINA 

Don’t enter China without a doctor’s note for every medication you’re carrying. Any amount of medication above a seven-day supply needs to be verified by a prescription.

This note should outline what the drug is being used for and the quantities required.

It’s also important to bring a copy, as customs may want to keep a copy of your prescription.

GREECE

Greece has stricter rules surrounding codeine than other European countries. Codeine is allowed only with a prescription stating what it is, how much is taken and that it is for personal use only.

SOUTH KOREA

Medications that are classified as a controlled substance (narcotic) need approval from the Narcotic Control Division of the Korean Food and Drug Administration before you arrive in the country. You’ll also need a letter or a prescription from a doctor.

RUSSIA

Russia bans most drugs that are illegal in Australia but a doctor’s letter is required to confirm the need for any medicine containing codeine.

Other medications that Aussies can buy over the counter, including cold and flu medication, may also need a prescription.