New house add ons.

Kenneth Wragg

Hello.

We hope someone can help or advise us. We hope to settle in Adelaide area in December subject to our Visa. We are both senior citizens and would like to have a new house built near to our only daughter in Mount Barker Adelaide, we only have a budget of around $310K and have noticed on various websites that we can have a house built from $262K but we know there is add ons, can anyone tell us what these might be and to put us right, Will we get a property for the budget we have? We wanted something  ready to move into a turnkey property, we look forward to hearing from you, thank you for your help/advice to date, we have took it all on board.

regards. K.G.& M. Wragg

We found things like the amount of electric sockets included was not enough for us. We had a meeting for electrics (and tiling and kitchen) and what was included was absolute basics. For instance no outside lights, one double socket per bedroom, basic bathroom fittings, no fans in any of the rooms. Although you can live with what is included in their basic package, we felt disappointed at the quality.  You quickly realise it's why you're invited to showrooms for meetings. What's offered against what you can have for an upgrade. Garden fencing, although halved with neighbour, is an added cost.  Don't be fooled with the show house , everything and I mean everything will be an upgrade. Make sure you're happy before signing the contract, every change you make will cost between 500 and 1000 administration charge. Good luck, it will be worth it in the end. 

check carefully what site classification the package is based on - a lot of the ones I've seen are based on Class S soil which is basically the thinnest slab they can put in.  Adelaide particularly is notorious for highly expansive soil and you may be looking at Class H2 or even Class E soil which would potentially add $20k+ to the house build cost.  Same if you're on a slope or they've filled the site: footings then may be non-standard and add many thou to the cost.  These prices will be determined by the composition of the soil and how much works have been undertaken.  

If you're not on town sewerage an effluent will cost $5-$20k, depending on the system.  If the site has been cut / filled check that there's a Level 1 Certificate (might also be called an Engineering Certificate) for the lots, otherwise you're going to have to pay for compaction yourself.

All house and land packages will vary so you will need to check the small print and ask questions. When you go to a show home  ask what the cost of extras on display added to the price.

Landscaping and fencing is unlikely to be included in the base cost and isn’t cheap.

The land you build on will influence the final price depending on soil, access to services etc.  house and land packages should take this into account as they are linked but I wouldn’t assume anything.

I think standard inclusions are getting better but you can always add power points and better lighting.  Oh and better insulation and double glazing are much cheaper to add at the build stage and well worth it.

Flooring can be extra or included but it can be worth shopping around for this. Window treatments/blinds all add up.

I think for a smaller house on a smaller plot your budget is doable but you will need to be in control!

3 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Only if they don’t get PR before they buy. 

Well since they are looking at house and land packages just now and coming over on a tourist visa to apply for a parent visa its hardly likely that that will happen 

Edited by AJ

I know the new builds are attractive but a lot costs are hidden and the whole process to takes a long time to complete and only then can you tackle driveway and landscaping.

Take a look at review sites such as productreview.com.au to look at what other people think about the local builders.

Make sure you investigate the current housing stock which is usually on larger blocks and closer to amenities and transport.

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Well since they are looking at house and land packages just now and coming over on a tourist visa to apply for a parent visa its hardly likely that that will happen 

I've been wodeing the same thing. Can you do a new build on a tourist visa??

2 hours ago, Melbpom said:

I know the new builds are attractive but a lot costs are hidden and the whole process to takes a long time to complete and only then can you tackle driveway and landscaping.

Take a look at review sites such as productreview.com.au to look at what other people think about the local builders.

Make sure you investigate the current housing stock which is usually on larger blocks and closer to amenities and transport.

Just to thank you for your help and advice, we have took this onboard.

rRegards. K.G. Wragg.

We built in WA and this is what my observations would be based on that.

First check with the builder what is included.mwe got a very good deal that included a lot, pretty much everything except curtains.

However, there were still a fair few extra costs. For example, the land wasn't perfect and needed some work, which cost us about $5000. The standard package in WA for the electrics in the house only included one single socket per room. There were a series of small, but necessary "upgrades" that we had to do. The total including the extra work to lay the pad was about $18000.

I don't know SA, but do not underestimate how much the landscaping can cost! When I got quotes for turf, I thought they were quoting me to lay solid gold. 

Check any requirements the land has as these can be expensive. There was a requirement in our area that boundary walls had to built and built to 2m using limestone blocks. This was VERY expensive. 

A not on your visa situation. I would be very careful going through this on a tourist visa. The processing time for a contributory parent visa is currently about five years, but signs this may blow out. If one of you were develop a medical condition in that time that means you can't pass the medical, the department will not have sympathy. Also, visa changes can occur and I personally wouldn't be surprised if some visas that currently have long processing times get scrapped. (Migration is a hot political topic in Oz as much as anywhere else). They have previously done this retrospective. For example, a little while ago there was a class of skilled visas called Cat 5. Many of these applicants had been living in Oz for years on bridging visas. Then one day out of the blue the department announced they were retrospectively cancelled and applicants had 28 days to leave. So, be careful. Long term bridging visas are, in my opinion, rarely a good idea. 

Guest Carol from Vista Financial

Hi @Kenneth Wragg

Definitely some valuable advice on here already, and great that you are planning ahead!

Landscaping can be a rude awakening and the driveway is often not included either so make sure to ask for quotes on both of these too, as a turn key technically doesn't need either!

I would suggest requesting a copy of the land package pricing schedule so you can see a breakdown of what is included and what isn't. There is a 'client version' and a 'builder's version' - the builder's version has the actual figures, whereas the client version may only note as 'included' without any sums. Push to get a copy of the builder's version as this will show what the allowance is for the footings, removal of soil - pretty much the dollar figure for each item.

Note what is listed as a final cost and what is an 'allowance only'. Soil testing/engineers report will determine what the extra on top will be. Again, ask for a copy of both and a pricing schedule inclusive of the costs of anything above the builder's standard allowances.

Also check what the bush fire rating is in the area as there are requirements for this too, and some can be at your own expense - builder should be able to advise on this based on the land you are looking at, I think Mount Barker is rated as medium fire risk but please don't take my word as gospel! You can read more about that here, if in doubt contact the local council.

You will always end up in a higher price range for builds than you initially thought - as one power point per room is not enough and why not add a couple more? Easier to do it now yes, just be careful of the price creep. Before you know it all those adjustments add up..... the building company knows this, and a smaller $$$ figure looks better on advertising after all.

Of course if the plan is for this to be your forever home in retirement and you have the money to spend or pre-approved finance otherwise then of course, make it the way you like it. If you are having to take a mortgage just be wary that the valuer has the final say and may not value the house as higher just because you add in those bees knees tiles. If they value the final to be erected property lower than the cost to build this could be an issue. Any out of contract variations (e.g. landscaping or other) also need to be quoted and quotes provided up front for them to be considered in the valuation.

Assuming you have PR you may also be eligible for the first homes grant too, note that this is only paid on slab pour, and if there is finance involved the bank will insist on you paying all your contribution first, before they dip into the loan, so be ready to part with your savings sooner, rather than later.

I also strongly recommend you get a conveyancer to look over the contract before you sign anything.

Hope this helps! Am sure it will be lovely to live near your daughter, and bonus as hopefully free accommodation while you build!

Cheers
Carol

Hello Carol:

Thank you your lengthy email, but we have took it all on board, just hoping we get someone who has had a good experience when purchasing a new build, but there’s time.

we are both Senior citizens and only have one daughter who is a Australian Citizen who lives in Mount Barker, we just want a nice property  at the right price but you know that the add ons can get out of hand, I have over the past 6 months been following the market, my wife says it would be better to purchase something that has already been lived in and this way everything will be included, Gardens landscaped, blinds, and ready to go, so we hope we may find something like this.

Your comments are invaluable to us along with others that we have had.

Kindest Regards.

K.G.&M. Wragg,