Mobile Phones on Planes

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

If they did reverse the ban I agree it would be chaos if everyone started making calls, but they could just limit it to wifi use only. Even if they did say we could use our phones I doubt we would have signal anyway.

PLANES are one of the final few places where human beings can’t scroll through Facebook, chat with a friend or binge on Netflix to their hearts’ content.

Airlines are still banning the use of mobiles, apart from those on aeroplane mode or when there is in-flight Wi-Fi.

Until now, the blame has been placed on safety — because the signal from a phone could interfere with the pilots’ equipment, The Sun reports.

But it turns out, it might be more to do with the fact that airlines realise that 200 people jabbering on their mobiles in close quarters could lead to frayed tempers in the skies.

Patrick Smith — an American airline pilot and the founder of Askthepilot.com told Wales Online: “It’s unlikely that a mobile phone can cause problems in the cockpit, particularly on modern aircraft where components are, by design, carefully shielded, but it’s not impossible.

“Ultimately, though, the phone thing is more of a social issue rather than a technological one — that is, do you really want to be sitting on an aeroplane listening to 200 people chatting away simultaneously?”

He continued: “It’s possible that airlines are using the mere possibility of technical complications as a means of avoiding the social implications of allowing cellular conversations on planes.

“The minute regulators say that phones are safe, a percentage of flyers will demand the right to use them, pitting one angry group of travellers against another.”

EasyJet pilot Chris Foster echoes the opinion that there is no reason passengers should switch off these days, because technology is far more advanced.

He told the Liverpool Echo: “(It is) in reality, nothing to be concerned about. Aircraft control systems are so sophisticated now that they wouldn’t cause any interference

“The regulations date back many years to when we didn’t even have things like iPads.”

I signed up to use the wifi on a Singapore airlines flight to Singapore... rubbish!  It was so slow and unreliable I gave up.

Im currently controlling a server in Chicago from the UK, in the same way i would be more concerned if there was connectivity via the internet to a flying aircraft. After all all these big companies cant seem to keep the hackers out despite assuring us they can!