Parley

Anyone watching the cricket ?

8 hours ago, Parley said:

What a great finish. Ccongratulations to India.

It was great they played for the win and not the draw which was all they needed to retain the series.

Agreed and with an injury hit team India played brilliant in a great game.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

On 13/01/2021 at 07:22, GrandpaGrumble said:

Yes, it was epic, the last session was really tense.  Whole series has been fantastic.

Unfortunately it looks like the 4th test will be a no-contest.  With Bumrah apparently out injured the entire Indian pace attack will have about four tests between them.  Jadeja is also out with his damaged thumb.  Plus the Aussies never lose at the Gabba.

Well that was a comprehensively wrong prediction!  Talk about the fallacy of induction ...

I was expecting the Aussie batsmen to completely dominate the second or third string Indian bowling lineup that was available, but it didn't happen.

The Indians rode their luck at the end but it was the solid performances earlier on that got them in the position to go for it in the first place, a real team effort.  As @Parley says, it was great that they did go for it.  I thought they were crazy and should have played for the draw, but as it turned out I was wrong again.  Fantastic series all round.

3 hours ago, GrandpaGrumble said:

Well that was a comprehensively wrong prediction!  Talk about the fallacy of induction ...

I was expecting the Aussie batsmen to completely dominate the second or third string Indian bowling lineup that was available, but it didn't happen.

The Indians rode their luck at the end but it was the solid performances earlier on that got them in the position to go for it in the first place, a real team effort.  As @Parley says, it was great that they did go for it.  I thought they were crazy and should have played for the draw, but as it turned out I was wrong again.  Fantastic series all round.

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...Nevertheless, a good series. Wondering how many heads will ”roll”? 

Cheers, Bobj.

2 hours ago, Bobj said:

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...Nevertheless, a good series. Wondering how many heads will ”roll”? 

Cheers, Bobj.

It wasn’t a surprise.  When does one see anybody playing cricket in Australia these days? Go to India and every spare space is covered by kids playing cricket.  Never seen anything like it..

5 hours ago, Bobj said:

Wondering how many heads will ”roll”? 

Cheers, Bobj.

Starc?  The master of reverse swing hasn't produced any angle since Sandpapergate.

Cummings for captain would be a good shout.

For India I wonder how much Kohli not being there helped? 

I can't help think that the team seem more relaxed and fearless with Rahane as skipper.  I wonder if Kohli and his angry death stares prevented that?  
Keep Rahane on as test skipper and Kohli can do white ball.

• Like 1

As you say, Cummings for the top job and put Paine in at No. 3 as vice capt. and get another wicky, that should make him concentrate on batting. 
I think Starc was over used and got quite erratic, spraying the ball around.

Harris out altogether.

Cheers, Bobj.

2 hours ago, unzippy said:

Starc?  The master of reverse swing hasn't produced any angle since Sandpapergate.

Cummings for captain would be a good shout.

For India I wonder how much Kohli not being there helped? 

I can't help think that the team seem more relaxed and fearless with Rahane as skipper.  I wonder if Kohli and his angry death stares prevented that?  
Keep Rahane on as test skipper and Kohli can do white ball.

Who is this player Cummings ? Never heard of him.

He doesn't play for Australia.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Took my son's sister-in-law's dog for a walk today and walked past 3 games of cricket in an hour, all suitably kitted out in team colours so obviously leagues of some level, not too many people watching but the players looked well into it. ( Bonbeach/ Chelsea). 

On 20/01/2021 at 06:43, Bobj said:

Cheers, Bobj.

Exciting series and well done to India - they deserved the win.  Been great to see test matches go to 5 days.  Now the Gabba isn't such a fortress, maybe WA will be in with a shout lol

On 20/01/2021 at 15:29, Parley said:

Who is this player Cummings ? Never heard of him.

He doesn't play for Australia.

Obviously just a typo and he meant Pat Cummins.

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

On 20/01/2021 at 12:33, Bulya said:

It wasn’t a surprise.  When does one see anybody playing cricket in Australia these days? Go to India and every spare space is covered by kids playing cricket.  Never seen anything like it..

Big at the weekends here.  The local oval has the Devonport cricket team playing against another town's team most weekends plus casual games happening on the greens around town.  At low tide the local children have cricket matches on the beach on the hard sand.

Devonport Oval and cricket club

devonport oval.jpg

On 20/01/2021 at 12:33, Bulya said:

When does one see anybody playing cricket in Australia these days? 

60 + local (suburban/town/village) cricket teams in Tassie.  A choice of 26 matches in suburban Hobart this weekend if one was interested. 

Minuscule compared to even a decade ago

great win for england against a very good side

On 25/01/2021 at 22:25, Perthbum said:

great win for england against a very good side

Sri Lanka?

On 11/01/2021 at 19:15, Rallyman said:

In the 2016 euro finals wales were in same group as England. The press had written wales off and England were going to win the group . Didn’t work out quite like that then all of a sudden everybody had welsh connections 😂😂😂

it’s same in rugby they big England up every time then rip them to pieces if they lose but not to credit of opponents . 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55962487

I think this will dispel the myth that the UK press is pro England and that no one ever big ups the other nations within the UK.....Scotland beat a very poor England team at Twickenham yesterday.....they were the better team by a country mile and thoroughly deserved their win.....England (albeit depleted) where very poor....ill disciplined and where just outplayed....reading all the press reports today there is not a lot of good words for England but glowing tributes and praise for a Scottish team that won at Twickenham for the first time in nearly 40 years.

On 20/01/2021 at 11:33, Bulya said:

Are Indian kids playing any other sports or is it just cricket?

16 hours ago, kungfustu said:

I think this will dispel the myth that the UK press is pro England and that no one ever big ups the other nations within the UK.....Scotland beat a very poor England team at Twickenham yesterday.....they were the better team by a country mile and thoroughly deserved their win.....England (albeit depleted) where very poor....ill disciplined and where just outplayed....reading all the press reports today there is not a lot of good words for England but glowing tributes and praise for a Scottish team that won at Twickenham for the first time in nearly 40 years.

The perennial complaint of the "other" team - that the media is only interested in Man Utd or Liverpool and don't give any credit to the team which beat them. Or "Why do I have to look through ten articles about them before my team's report comes up. Then you look at the number of comments on the Man Utd/Liverpool pages - 2,000 to 50 on the "lesser" team.

And of course many of those comments are from the "haters" who far outnumber the supporters of the "lesser" teams. Brighton played very well against both Spurs and Liverpool but Spurs - my team - were also dreadful. How do you balance credit to the other team against poor play from the defeated team?

Then you have the records being broken - Spurs lose three games in a row for the first time in a decade. (I think), Liverpool go 60 games undefeated at Anfield then lose three in a row.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I'm impressed! I know they have a professional football league there but apart from cricket I thought the only sport they were into was that odd game of "It" which they play.

2 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I'm impressed! I know they have a professional football league there but apart from cricket I thought the only sport they were into was that odd game of "It" which they play.

Kabaddi

https://youtu.be/av1mr3UpdZk

21 hours ago, kungfustu said:

Not interested sorry, only follow results for wales and wrexham. 
well done Scotland on a very good result. 

14 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Are Indian kids playing any other sports or is it just cricket?

Only saw cricket but then I wasn’t there for long.  And when I say cricket I mean every patch of open ground without any discernible boundary between multiple games.  Think of ants, but humans playing cricket.  Never seen anything like it...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bulya said:

Only saw cricket but then I wasn’t there for long.  And when I say cricket I mean every patch of open ground without any discernible boundary between multiple games.  Think of ants, but humans playing cricket.  Never seen anything like it...

Cultural appropriation of a pleasant kind?

• Like 1

what a win, well done England