Parley

Anyone watching the cricket ?

7 hours ago, simmo said:

Its very sad but it's unfortunately true.

If you are looking for a different form of possible bias for the home team, then look no further than the US Baseball League. They also "host" the  Baseball World Series, and they win every time. The trouble is that they only play the World Series of Baseball among themselves. Apparently last WS saw the US reclaim the trophy from ...........the US  

🇺🇸 vs 🇺🇸  =  🌎

20 hours ago, davlap said:

My OH comes from Wales. They hated the English in everything they did. I used to 'support' the UK, ie if England lost (as usual) I would 'support' other UK teams. But OH family and friends killed that for me. Likewise meeting Scots who hated the English made me English, not British (in sport).

The Welsh lot told me it was because of the total bias given to the English in the press (English of course, that they bought) and TV. That's what it is like in Aus, total bias in press, TV and when commentating. Of course political correctness (madness) is prevalent there now. I remember in the Olympics, commentators being slagged off for bias towards the British  

Aus cricket was best in the world last week when they won. Get slated this week having lost. When reporting IPL we would find out how many the Aus players scored, but not who won. Same in all sports. Riciardo came 6th (but who won?)

I hate watching the one sided matches. If Aus win, they love it here. But its not a contest,  lacks excitement. 5 day tests are over in 3 days, how is that good?

I did not know nor care about "the Welsh hating the English" probably because I don't read any Welsh papers, other than the New South Welsh ones. That probably makes the hatred all the more intense? Not caring what they think?

On the other hand I was impressed to share the swimming pool at Bronte a few years back with the Welsh RU team the day after they played the Wallabies.

There are two full pages in The Australian (yesterday) mostly about the Test but also half a page about the Big Bash League. I don't usually see "gloating" in The Australian, and the only "whingeing" is from Tim Paine about his dismissal, which I understand was controversial.

You probably need the tabloids for the for the "love (the Aussies) hate (the Pommies and everyone else) articles.  Personally, I am more interested in the BBL than the tests and every night there is a game, or even two to catch up in the pub.

On 30/12/2020 at 03:37, Dusty Plains said:

His reputation currently, and for the last two years or so, has been especially solid. Only this week the ICC named Steve Smith as the Greatest Test Player (male) of the decade. His batting average is 63.

Presumably you think otherwise?🙄

Yes, it's not rocket science.

How on earth can someone that was banned from playing cricket for twelve months for bringing the game into disrepute, be considered for an award, let alone win it?  They must have been on glue!

What kind of message that send to the kids?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, unzippy said:

How on earth can someone that was banned from playing cricket for twelve months for bringing the game into disrepute, be considered for an award, let alone win it?  They must have been on glue!

Concentrate on your sport, learn from your mistakes and one stupid action shouldn't mean the end of your career. Obviously there's a price to pay and your mindset has to be able to handle it.

I guess another good message is you make mistakes in life, the whole world can seem against you but if you come clean, take your punishment, don't get too depressed, there is a way to redeem yourself.

Too many kids are bombarded by negativity every day on social media. A lot can't cope with anything bad happening. Unfortunately that's life and you have to role with the punches.

Some great bowling/fielding by the Aussies this match.

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

12 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Concentrate on your sport, learn from your mistakes and one stupid action shouldn't mean the end of your career. Obviously there's a price to pay and your mindset has to be able to handle it.

I guess another good message is you make mistakes in life, the whole world can seem against you but if you come clean, take your punishment, don't get too depressed, there is a way to redeem yourself.

Too many kids are bombarded by negativity every day on social media. A lot can't cope with anything bad happening. Unfortunately that's life and you have to role with the punches.

I know what you are saying but any player that chose not to make a "mistake" is instantly better than the one that that did.

Yes Smith owned up to it, yes he's trying to make amends etc.  But a "mistake" like that should have never been made in the first place! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unzippy said:

I know what you are saying but any player that chose not to make a "mistake" is instantly better than the one that that did.

Yes Smith owned up to it, yes he's trying to make amends etc.  But a "mistake" like that should have never been made in the first place! 

he was the captain....the leader.....Warner on the other hand is a complete To@#er.....sometimes individuals personalities just cannot be hidden and Warner is one of those.....personally I think if he'd said something by mistake.....something taken out of context about someones race or gender.....you know the stuff that these people get punished for then I would welcome him back with open arms and have him receive all the plaudits he has earnt......cheating in professional sport is something entirely different tho.....its a real shame that this one big mistake will cast a shadow over his career because he is without doubt one of those great batsmen......Smith that is.....not Warner.....he's a to@#er!

I nearly put a bet on the Indians to win this match last night just before I went to bed.....good job I didn't cus it was a draw.....but.....after the disgusting racial abuse handed out by those poor excuses of Australian cricket fans it was no surprise the Indians performed so well and an Oz win was always going to be anything but a certainty....they can thank those supporters for that.....bet Langers seething.

On 31/12/2020 at 00:07, kungfustu said:

Its a real shame and far too common.....I would always cheers on the Welsh or the Jocks if England were not playing but those sentiments are just not echoed in other parts of the UK.....I really cannot come up with a firm reason for it....jealousy maybe.....who knows.....but it does no one any favours.....bitterness is very ugly.....

It’s certainly not jealousy, I think it’s partly down to press in Uk how they always big up England in all sports and often ignore the other countries. 
also back to when the English imposed rule on wales. 

Standing joke who do you support 
Any body England are playing 😂😂

I disagree with a lot of that.....in 2016 when the Welsh were doing well in the football euros and England got beat by Iceland the British press be it in England or any other part of the UK on TV and the internet were firmly supporting the Welsh team.....Nah I don't go with that story of English teams always being over supported by the press at the cost of Wales and Scotland etc.....The British sporting press are brutal and you don't need to think too hard to come up with stories of English managers being driven out of their jobs by the British press.....at the end of that Iceland game the press were scathing on the manager and the team yet Wales were doing tremendously well and rightly receiving all the plaudits....politics should never come into sport and any team that uses it as a motivating factor are just cheating themselves......it happened only a couple of months ago https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8966461/Ireland-showed-players-anti-English-video-game-Wembley.html 

When a teams star player openly mocks their rivals talking about passion and pride these types of feeling will never go away.....In my view this type of behaviour is firmly entrenched with the smaller nations and something I or any English supporter I know would not get involved with.....most I know would continue to support the British nations whoever they are in any sporting arena but I fully get that smaller nations with weaker squads would try and use any tool at their disposal to motivate their team against their local rivals.

The Indian team did well today, thoroughly enjoyed this test match and it actually went to 5 days!!

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

17 hours ago, unzippy said:

They gave the cheaters MBE’s...  

9 hours ago, kungfustu said:

I disagree with a lot of that.....in 2016 when the Welsh were doing well in the football euros and England got beat by Iceland the British press be it in England or any other part of the UK on TV and the internet were firmly supporting the Welsh team.....Nah I don't go with that story of English teams always being over supported by the press at the cost of Wales and Scotland etc.....The British sporting press are brutal and you don't need to think too hard to come up with stories of English managers being driven out of their jobs by the British press.....at the end of that Iceland game the press were scathing on the manager and the team yet Wales were doing tremendously well and rightly receiving all the plaudits....politics should never come into sport and any team that uses it as a motivating factor are just cheating themselves......it happened only a couple of months ago https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8966461/Ireland-showed-players-anti-English-video-game-Wembley.html 

When a teams star player openly mocks their rivals talking about passion and pride these types of feeling will never go away.....In my view this type of behaviour is firmly entrenched with the smaller nations and something I or any English supporter I know would not get involved with.....most I know would continue to support the British nations whoever they are in any sporting arena but I fully get that smaller nations with weaker squads would try and use any tool at their disposal to motivate their team against their local rivals.

In the 2016 euro finals wales were in same group as England. The press had written wales off and England were going to win the group . Didn’t work out quite like that then all of a sudden everybody had welsh connections 😂😂😂

it’s same in rugby they big England up every time then rip them to pieces if they lose but not to credit of opponents . 

Not a good day for the captain today, smith accused of cheating again in the papers.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Everybody cheats. That is not an excuse and I know it is a fallacious argument. But neither is there a sliding scale by which some forms of cheating - tampering with the ball for example - are "hanging offences" - whilst wasting time, say, when you are playing for a draw,  doing your bootlaces up, holding extra long conversations between balls and overs. calling for a new bat, gloves, drink, whatever. are all somehow not cheating  - but showing your "professionalism" aka "professional" fouls in football.

I've long noticed that the striker who "dives" for a penalty is judged by the defenders and commentators alike as a cheat of the worst order.  But the defender who "takes one for the team" by deliberately fouling a player who has looked to be breaking for goal, is applauded by all for his "professionalism". In fact if he does NOT foul the player he is often damned for his lack of professionalism. 

Why else they call it a "professional" foul not cheating? And why should it not be the same in cricket?

18 hours ago, kungfustu said:

I nearly put a bet on the Indians to win this match last night just before I went to bed.....good job I didn't cus it was a draw.....but.....after the disgusting racial abuse handed out by those poor excuses of Australian cricket fans it was no surprise the Indians performed so well and an Oz win was always going to be anything but a certainty....they can thank those supporters for that.....bet Langers seething.

Alleged racial abuse. I saw on the news last night they interviewed an Indian supporter, sat in front of the guys who got kicked out. He tried to tell the cops they hadn't said anything wrong and they kicked him and his mate out too. The interviewer played him a video going round social media where you're supposed to be able to hear the abuse. He listened and said there is no racial abuse he could hear.

Could be all bullshit.

There's posts on this thread about how the Welsh hate the English, if England are playing how any other British nation supports the other side, so don't make out a few idiots in a crowd make Aus supporters worse than anyone else.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Alleged racial abuse. I saw on the news last night they interviewed an Indian supporter, sat in front of the guys who got kicked out. He tried to tell the cops they hadn't said anything wrong and they kicked him and his mate out too. The interviewer played him a video going round social media where you're supposed to be able to hear the abuse. He listened and said there is no racial abuse he could hear.

Could be all bullshit.

With all those fans on their mobile phones plus the microphones and not a single confirmed incident of an Aussie fan saying something racist.   I am suspicious that it was all part of the Indians' tactics, wasting time as they played out for a draw, walking of the pitch to "protest".

I did hear that one of the Indian players has a name similar to a drink - Shiraz or Chablis or something and the fans were calling that out.

Plus of course any accusation of racism will automatically be taken up by all the lefties as PROOF of racism. What did they call Andrew Symonds a few years back? A "monkey?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Rallyman said:

It’s certainly not jealousy, I think it’s partly down to press in Uk how they always big up England in all sports and often ignore the other countries. 
also back to when the English imposed rule on wales. 

Standing joke who do you support 
Any body England are playing 😂😂

Standing joke, who do you support? Insert any team who are playing a side you hate. So, whoever Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City or Liverpool are playing I support the other team, especially if they are from another country. if any two are playing each other then I support the one I hate least. 

In the "Home Nations" environment, England are "ABU" (Man Utd for those who don't follow "soccer" and possibly replaced by "ABL" at the moment. I wonder who the "neutrals" will be supporting when Liverpool and Man Utd play each other soon?

When Australia plays the All Blacks I support Australia. When the NZ cricket team plays Australia I support NZ.

In RU New Zealand are "ABU". In RL, Australia are "ABU". In soccer, see above. In Aussie Rules, hmmm? Everybody hates Collingwood? I love AFL but I'm not from Melbourne. In my experience, in the other AFL states there is no solidarity between, say, Eagles and Dockers versus the Eastern States (as it is in every other facet of life - see Covid 19). In SA, ditto between Crows and Port Adelaide?

45 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Could be all bullshit.

There's posts on this thread about how the Welsh hate the English, if England are playing how any other British nation supports the other side, so don't make out a few idiots in a crowd make Aus supporters worse than anyone else.

They were kicked out 

34 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

With all those fans on their mobile phones plus the microphones and not a single confirmed incident of an Aussie fan saying something racist.   I am suspicious that it was all part of the Indians' tactics, wasting time as they played out for a draw, walking of the pitch to "protest".

I did hear that one of the Indian players has a name similar to a drink - Shiraz or Chablis or something and the fans were calling that out.

Plus of course any accusation of racism will automatically be taken up by all the lefties as PROOF of racism. What did they call Andrew Symonds a few years back? A "monkey?"

22 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Standing joke, who do you support? Insert any team who are playing a side you hate. So, whoever Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City or Liverpool are playing I support the other team, especially if they are from another country. if any two are playing each other then I support the one I hate least. 

In the "Home Nations" environment, England are "ABU" (Man Utd for those who don't follow "soccer" and possibly replaced by "ABL" at the moment. I wonder who the "neutrals" will be supporting when Liverpool and Man Utd play each other soon?

When Australia plays the All Blacks I support Australia. When the NZ cricket team plays Australia I support NZ.

In RU New Zealand are "ABU". In RL, Australia are "ABU". In soccer, see above. In Aussie Rules, hmmm? Everybody hates Collingwood? I love AFL but I'm not from Melbourne. In my experience, in the other AFL states there is no solidarity between, say, Eagles and Dockers versus the Eastern States (as it is in every other facet of life - see Covid 19). In SA, ditto between Crows and Port Adelaide?

Port Power not Port Adelaide.  

Don't think Smith was cheating was he ? If he was there would be some official sanction not just moaning from past English players.

I want it all, and I want it now.