Parley

Anyone watching the cricket ?

Steve Smith, hears the stumps being clipped, turns, looks and sees the bail on the floor, turns and runs like he's still in.

Not the way to rebuild his reputation.

Bad batting collapse, both teams not playing very well so far in this series, the bowling has been average by both sides but wickets are tumbling.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

On 25/12/2020 at 23:30, ali said:

I'm sure in the past when England have been top of the test rankings you've sidelined the ODI's and T20's as  inconsequential formats.  

I think you might be correct there ali 😉

2 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Bad batting collapse, both teams not playing very well so far in this series, the bowling has been average by both sides but wickets are tumbling.

Very strange that as soon as Kholi departs the Indian Team seems to have had a very obvious form reversal.  India is another team entirely, compared to the team that played the first test.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unzippy said:

Steve Smith, hears the stumps being clipped, turns, looks and sees the bail on the floor, turns and runs like he's still in.

Not the way to rebuild his reputation.

Rebuild his reputation? With whom?

Edited by Dusty Plains

7 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

He won the England fans over when he won us the Ashes in England.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

7 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Very strange that as soon as Kholi departs the Indian Team seems to have had a very obvious form reversal.  India is another team entirely, compared to the team that played the first test.

That 2nd innings in the first test was an anomaly. These things happen sometimes.

They are obviously a much better team than that indicated. They basically had 1 bad day which lost them the match.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Perthbum said:

I agree - dismal batting performances

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

22 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

With those that think his reputation as a nation’s captain in control of his team is in tatters.

Presumably you think his reputation is un-blemished?🙄

On 28/12/2020 at 21:19, Perthbum said:

What match were you watching?  Bowling has been excellent, batting has been turd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

What match were you watching?  Bowling has been excellent, batting has been turd.

Oz has a very average batting line up if you take Steve Smith out of the equation......is it any coincidence that Smith fails.....Oz fails.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, unzippy said:

With those that think his reputation as a nation’s captain in control of his team is in tatters.

Presumably you think his reputation is un-blemished?🙄

His reputation currently, and for the last two years or so, has been especially solid. Only this week the ICC named Steve Smith as the Greatest Test Player (male) of the decade. His batting average is 63.

Presumably you think otherwise?🙄

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

5 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

His reputation currently, and for the last two years or so, has been especially solid. Only this week the ICC named Steve Smith as the Greatest Test Player (male) of the decade. His batting average is 63.

I personally think that as Captain he fell on his sword in the whole SA debacle.  Cricket Australia punished it's players in a way no other country has for cheating (and let's be honest there's been a few), 

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Seeing Australia lose is almost as pleasurable as seeing Chelsea lose, and on a par with seeing Arsenal lose. Only joking, not about Chelsea and Araenal, but 2005 cured all my bitterness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ali said:

I personally think that as Captain he fell on his sword in the whole SA debacle.  Cricket Australia punished it's players in a way no other country has for cheating (and let's be honest there's been a few), 

More than a few, especially in England.  

6 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Seeing Australia lose is almost as pleasurable as seeing Chelsea lose, and on a par with seeing Arsenal lose. Only joking, not about Chelsea and Araenal, but 2005 cured all my bitterness.

My OH comes from Wales. They hated the English in everything they did. I used to 'support' the UK, ie if England lost (as usual) I would 'support' other UK teams. But OH family and friends killed that for me. Likewise meeting Scots who hated the English made me English, not British (in sport).

The Welsh lot told me it was because of the total bias given to the English in the press (English of course, that they bought) and TV. That's what it is like in Aus, total bias in press, TV and when commentating. Of course political correctness (madness) is prevalent there now. I remember in the Olympics, commentators being slagged off for bias towards the British  

Aus cricket was best in the world last week when they won. Get slated this week having lost. When reporting IPL we would find out how many the Aus players scored, but not who won. Same in all sports. Riciardo came 6th (but who won?)

I hate watching the one sided matches. If Aus win, they love it here. But its not a contest,  lacks excitement. 5 day tests are over in 3 days, how is that good?

Edited by davlap
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, davlap said:

My OH comes from Wales. They hated the English in everything they did. I used to 'support' the UK, ie if England lost (as usual) I would 'support' other UK teams. But OH family and friends killed that for me. Likewise meeting Scots who hated the English made me English, not British (in sport).

The Welsh lot told me it was because of the total bias given to the English in the press (English of course, that they bought) and TV. That's what it is like in Aus, total bias in press, TV and when commentating. Of course political correctness (madness) is prevalent there now. I remember in the Olympics, commentators being slagged off for bias towards the British  

Aus cricket was best in the world last week when they won. Get slated this week having lost. When reporting IPL we would find out how many the Aus players scored, but not who won. Same in all sports. Riciardo came 6th (but who won?)

I hate watching the one sided matches. If Aus win, they love it here. But its not a contest,  lacks excitement. 5 day tests are over in 3 days, how is that good?

It would be the same in any country,

They will say here who won but obviously people are interested in the Aussies so they publicise that the most.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davlap said:

I like the five-day tests. Its a cricket campaign with all the twists and turns that can occur over five days, to a far greater extent when compared to the shorter version of the game. Having said that, the BBL is pretty exciting at the moment as well.  

There is bias in all international sports commentary, from all countries participating. In cricket at least we have had mixed commentary teams for years. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, unzippy said:

Bad batting always makes the bowling look good, batsmen out to average balls that they should not have got out to, the batting has been woeful and the bowling nothing exceptional  in the tests so far.

3 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

I like the five-day tests. Its a cricket campaign with all the twists and turns that can occur over five days, to a far greater extent when compared to the shorter version of the game. Having said that, the BBL is pretty exciting at the moment as well.  

There is bias in all international sports commentary, from all countries participating. In cricket at least we have had mixed commentary teams for years. 

We have a friend who always gives us tickets for the test  ... we always go on day 3

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davlap said:

Its a real shame and far too common.....I would always cheers on the Welsh or the Jocks if England were not playing but those sentiments are just not echoed in other parts of the UK.....I really cannot come up with a firm reason for it....jealousy maybe.....who knows.....but it does no one any favours.....bitterness is very ugly.....

20 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Steve Smith is without doubt the stand out batsman of the last decade in test cricket.....I can't stand the bloke (from a cricket perspective) because he is the reason we have lost recent series to Oz.....bowling is quite good at times tho.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kungfustu said:

Steve Smith is without doubt the stand out batsman of the last decade in test cricket.....I can't stand the bloke (from a cricket perspective) because he is the reason we have lost recent series to Oz.....bowling is quite good at times tho.

He is a great player and the quote "one man team" can be applied to many games we have played against OZ where without him they would defiantly have lost.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, davlap said:

Its very sad but it's unfortunately true.