Trial shifts or an excuse for free labour? - Hospitality

Guest1008

Hey guys, I’ve been living in Melbourne for 3 weeks now and have been looking for bar work to tide me over while I’m applying for grad jobs. I’ve now done two trial shifts at two different bars and something seems up.

So I’m applying for bar work, I’ve got a lot of experience and I’m very competent at what I do. My CV is solid and I’ve done various supervisor roles. Two bars have brought me in for bar tending trial shifts after I sent over my CV, both put me on five hour glass collecting shifts, and both never contacted me again after saying they would. Its made me a bit cynical about the whole thing. I understand why trial shifts are a thing, they’re a thing in the UK too, however by putting me on glass collecting shifts they can’t truly be trialing my bar skills. Also, it seems dodgy to have me working (hard!) for five hours each and for me to never get any pay or to hear from them again. I’ve now done 10 hours of unpaid work. 

Has anyone else had any experience of this or know anything about it? Is it a way for bars to just get someone to cover a glassy shift for free?

Im here on the de facto partner visa.