Central Coast Newbie

Ahames

36 minutes ago, Ahames said:

7 weeks! Wow!

i just want to get them registered before the break, happy to send them in for few last days of term if it’s allowed / we arrive in time 

You would certainly be allowed, but then you've made a commitment to that school.   

If you don't register them, then from the end of November you would have all of December and all of January to travel around, work out where your best location would be, and find a home. Then you could register them with a lot more confidence.  Who knows, with nearly 9 weeks up his sleeve, your hubby might even find another job in a better location!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ahames said:

7 weeks! Wow!

i just want to get them registered before the break, happy to send them in for few last days of term if it’s allowed / we arrive in time 

Don't bother. Find the house you want to live in and then enrol them in school - you're going to need a permanent address before you can enrol them anyway. Don't worry about making friends to pay with over the holidays, there'll be kids in the neighbourhood, a few holiday programs most likely and you'll be in settling in mode having adventures so they won't be fed up. But, finding a house you want to live in 24/7 in a suburb that offers you all that you want, had housing in your price range and has vacancies that you are prepared to take, it's going to be your priority. Once you've done that (and I hesitate to say but you're not going at the best time of year to do it) then the school will fall into place. General rule of thumb is that if you wouldn't want to live in a suburb, you sure as hell don't want to send your kids to school in that suburb. Nobody gives a toss if kids are out of school for a few months while you get settled.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quoll said:

Don't bother. Find the house you want to live in and then enrol them in school - you're going to need a permanent address before you can enrol them anyway. Don't worry about making friends to pay with over the holidays, there'll be kids in the neighbourhood, a few holiday programs most likely and you'll be in settling in mode having adventures so they won't be fed up. But, finding a house you want to live in 24/7 in a suburb that offers you all that you want, had housing in your price range and has vacancies that you are prepared to take, it's going to be your priority. Once you've done that (and I hesitate to say but you're not going at the best time of year to do it) then the school will fall into place. General rule of thumb is that if you wouldn't want to live in a suburb, you sure as hell don't want to send your kids to school in that suburb. Nobody gives a toss if kids are out of school for a few months while you get settled.

Why not a suburb?

why not a school in that suburb?

dont you have to be within postcode area for school..so I won’t have a choice?

7 hours ago, Ahames said:

Why not a suburb?

why not a school in that suburb?

dont you have to be within postcode area for school..so I won’t have a choice?

Schools have catchment areas and are obliged to find a place for a child within that catchment area. You may apply for schools outside the catchment area but they are not obliged to offer a place.  

Why not a suburb? Well, if you drive around a place and don't like the look of it - and there will be suburbs that make your toes curl because of the neighbours/environment  - then chances are you aren't going going to much enjoy living there and you probably wouldn't want your kids mixing with the neighbourhood kids. Take your time and find the place that you want to live in.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2018 at 16:01, Ahames said:

My husband said about Hornsby, so we are looking around that area.

do you know wheee we can look into schools? Are there websites that we can use?

thanks 

Schools: https://www.myschool.edu.au/

Hornsby is nice but no longer 'cheap', hasn't been for a very long time. There are some rough areas of Hornsby that I would avoid, but it's all priced in.

NSW Crime Mapping tool is useful to scout an area: http://crimetool.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/bocsar/

Change to "malicious property damage" -> change type to "Hot Spot" and there you go. Sydney is generally safe area but there are hot spots to avoid.

Another good tool is the Social Atlas (based on the census): https://atlas.id.com.au/central-coast-nsw (go to the root to get another local authority)

Are you familiar with the index of multiple deprivation in the UK? There's something similar, you can map this using the social atlas, look for SEIFA index of disadvantage. It's not exactly the same thing, but enough to get the same feeling of an area.

Here it is for Hornsby LA: https://atlas.id.com.au/hornsby

11 minutes ago, Anolo Lohgun said:

Hornsby is nice but no longer 'cheap', hasn't been for a very long time. There are some rough areas of Hornsby that I would avoid, but it's all priced in

That's what I was thinking.   

The median house price on that realestate.com.au website is a good way to get a rough idea of whether you can afford a suburb.

The median house price for Hornsby is $1.2 million.  That's more expensive than any of the suburbs to the South, which you were saying you couldn't afford.    What it tells you is that anything cheap in Hornsby is going to be in an area you wouldn't want to live in! 

2 hours ago, Anolo Lohgun said:

Schools: https://www.myschool.edu.au/

Hornsby is nice but no longer 'cheap', hasn't been for a very long time. There are some rough areas of Hornsby that I would avoid, but it's all priced in.

NSW Crime Mapping tool is useful to scout an area: http://crimetool.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/bocsar/

Change to "malicious property damage" -> change type to "Hot Spot" and there you go. Sydney is generally safe area but there are hot spots to avoid.

Another good tool is the Social Atlas (based on the census): https://atlas.id.com.au/central-coast-nsw (go to the root to get another local authority)

Are you familiar with the index of multiple deprivation in the UK? There's something similar, you can map this using the social atlas, look for SEIFA index of disadvantage. It's not exactly the same thing, but enough to get the same feeling of an area.

Here it is for Hornsby LA: https://atlas.id.com.au/hornsby

Brilliant, thank you very much

ill look through the links 😄

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That's what I was thinking.   

The median house price on that realestate.com.au website is a good way to get a rough idea of whether you can afford a suburb.

The median house price for Hornsby is $1.2 million.  That's more expensive than any of the suburbs to the South, which you were saying you couldn't afford.    What it tells you is that anything cheap in Hornsby is going to be in an area you wouldn't want to live in! 

1.2 M bargain!!

thanks for pointing out, because we’ll be renting first off, rent is do-able, so it seems we can afford to live there.

also holiday let’s / hotels are affordable too...

ill look more into it but think we like Berowra. 

Hi

We live in Avoca Beach, it's wonderful! We came out exactly 2 years ago from the UK, we have 2 kids aged 8 and 10 now so schools are on my radar. Avoca and Terrigal can be expensive, but we rent a 3 bedroom house with study, living area/ kitchen, one bathroom, huge garden (relative to what gardens people seem to have over here) and are 5 mins walk to Avoca Beach! We pay £550 per week. Our last rental was a 5 bed house, 2 bathroom and on the lake, so stunning views, but we paid over £900 a week. If you can glimpse the water from where you are, they add  $$$$ to the rental cost!

When we looked at Sydney rentals when we first arrived, I couldn't stand how much they were asking, we visited the central coast and  agreed to move to the CC and my husband bite the bullet with his commute. My husband works in Sydney, Macquarie Park, and it has been gruelling for him. Macquarie park is an arse of a place to get to, he mixes driving with the train from Woy Woy. He has done it for 2 years. I don't know about Alexandria...

We did look at Berowra when we first arrived, and it may be worthwhile looking there. You know, some people do it for many years - if he gets the train it will be an early start but people sleep on the train, and it's a beautiful journey on a nice day.....and on a Friday he's heading to the central coast every weekend! Awesome!!

If you want to pm me I am happy to give you more info on the area. I am community Occupational Therapist on the central coast so I visit most places. There are areas to avoid for sure, but many stunning places.

Good luck

Becky

36 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

Hi

We live in Avoca Beach, it's wonderful! We came out exactly 2 years ago from the UK, we have 2 kids aged 8 and 10 now so schools are on my radar. Avoca and Terrigal can be expensive, but we rent a 3 bedroom house with study, living area/ kitchen, one bathroom, huge garden (relative to what gardens people seem to have over here) and are 5 mins walk to Avoca Beach! We pay £550 per week. Our last rental was a 5 bed house, 2 bathroom and on the lake, so stunning views, but we paid over £900 a week. If you can glimpse the water from where you are, they add  $$$$ to the rental cost!

When we looked at Sydney rentals when we first arrived, I couldn't stand how much they were asking, we visited the central coast and  agreed to move to the CC and my husband bite the bullet with his commute. My husband works in Sydney, Macquarie Park, and it has been gruelling for him. Macquarie park is an arse of a place to get to, he mixes driving with the train from Woy Woy. He has done it for 2 years. I don't know about Alexandria...

We did look at Berowra when we first arrived, and it may be worthwhile looking there. You know, some people do it for many years - if he gets the train it will be an early start but people sleep on the train, and it's a beautiful journey on a nice day.....and on a Friday he's heading to the central coast every weekend! Awesome!!

If you want to pm me I am happy to give you more info on the area. I am community Occupational Therapist on the central coast so I visit most places. There are areas to avoid for sure, but many stunning places.

Good luck

Becky

Becky - you sound like my guardian angel 👼🏼 😂❣️

House sounds perfect 👌🏼 that’s what we’d be after!

we plan a holiday rental, then we can distribute ourselves out to different areas and see what’s on offer. 

How do you find schools so far?

someone gave me a link, it was 2015, but lots of red spots - I assumed this wasn’t great?!

thank you for helping thou.

David is willing to commute to come home to cc, so I can see the definite draws. 

im getting very excited 😆 

20 hours ago, Serendipity said:

I registered my two into school and they went for the last 3 weeks of term. There are so many people on the Central Coast from the UK that you will be welcomed with open arms, trust me. People went out of their way to make us feel welcome when we first arrived!

Awesome, that sounds great. Thank you 😊 

actually can you help with school years.

maisie was born 29/1/08....she’ll start year 6 in January, is that correct?

Edited by Ahames

3 hours ago, Ahames said:

Awesome, that sounds great. Thank you 😊 

actually can you help with school years.

maisie was born 29/1/08....she’ll start year 6 in January, is that correct?

Not necessarily. Your child needs to be in Kindy on her 6th birthday, but you could start if he/she turns 5 on the 31st of July of that year.

So she could have started Kindy either in Jan 2013 or Jan 2014.

If you go with Jan 2014, then she'll start Year 5 in Jan 2019.

1 hour ago, Anolo Lohgun said:

Not necessarily. Your child needs to be in Kindy on her 6th birthday, but you could start if he/she turns 5 on the 31st of July of that year.

So she could have started Kindy either in Jan 2013 or Jan 2014.

If you go with Jan 2014, then she'll start Year 5 in Jan 2019.

A January birthday child would generally have started kindergarten as they turn 5 so she would have started K in 2013 which means that she would indeed start year 6 in  2019.  Theoretically they could have waited but with a middle of the year (as per cut off) birthday parents tend not to hold kids back an extra year.

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

A January birthday child would generally have started kindergarten as they turn 5 so she would have started K in 2013 which means that she would indeed start year 6 in  2019.  Theoretically they could have waited but with a middle of the year (as per cut off) birthday parents tend not to hold kids back an extra year.

Thank you 😊 

Yeh the school year switch can be a challenge, depending on your childs abilities I guess. My two are both March babies. My son is March 2008 and he is now in year 5 and will start year 6 next year. He's one of the younger ones, but there are younger! I think he struggles, and has extra help with some subjects. I have friends who came over and children were similar ages, one moved her son to a new school to resit year 5 to give him a better chance. I've spoken to my son about that but he's not keen. The school they're in have mixed year 5 and year 6 classes, so there is my very immature 10 year old year 5, in the same class as some older year 6 girls who can be near enough 13!!

My daughter turns 9 next March and will be in year 4 then, but she is extremely bright and a high achiever so I have no concerns about her.

School around Avoca/ Terrigal are all pretty good. Kincumber and Terrigal high are the main public high schools, then there are the private school, a good selection of both public and private. There are also opportunity classes at Gosford High for year 5 and 6, and selective places for high school ages.

There are definitely areas to of the central coast that have poor school - think carefully about the Penisula (Woy Woy, Umina Beach) to both lives and go to school, they have a bad reputation and there is an issue with ice (drugs) on parts of the the CC. Also the north Central Coast has some poor areas.

I'll pm you my email, feel free to ask anything! 😀

If your partner values his relationship with his children and wants to see them during the week, I would definitely not recommend the Central Coast if working in Alexandria. He would leave before they wake up and would more than likely not see them much in the evening either. 2 years is short in theory but very long in practice. I have several friends who have left Sydney to move to CC - they commute only a couple of days each and find it a drag. One drives, another catches public transport. The Pacific Highway is the only rd out to the CC and there are many accidents especially around Warnervale for some reason. Get caught in this and you are in traffic hell.

Have you considered the Sutherland Shire? Doing a search for Houses between $500 and $550 returns 181 properties. Miranda for eg to the city is only 38 mins / 19.4 km's by car - much more reasonable than the CC commute. 

Not a Pom here, just thought I’d pitch in nervetheless. The wife and I moved up from Sydney to Bateau Bay earlier this year. We both work in the Sydney CBD and knew what’s we were getting into. It’s up at 5 am and leave by 5:40 for a 20 minute drive to Gosford station. Park the car and take the 6:24 to reach Wynyard at 7:44. In the evening, we both take the 5:35 back from Wynyard. I get work done on the commute but I have a desk job. It helps that the company allows me to work from home one day in the week.

For a trades job, commuting to Sydney from the CC wouldn’t be a realistic option.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ronsaik said:

Not a Pom here, just thought I’d pitch in nervetheless. The wife and I moved up from Sydney to Bateau Bay earlier this year. We both work in the Sydney CBD and knew what’s we were getting into. It’s up at 5 am and leave by 5:40 for a 20 minute drive to Gosford station. Park the car and take the 6:24 to reach Wynyard at 7:44. In the evening, we both take the 5:35 back from Wynyard. I get work done on the commute but I have a desk job. It helps that the company allows me to work from home one day in the week.

For a trades job, commuting to Sydney from the CC wouldn’t be a realistic option.

Hey, thanks for your in put, always good to hear.

i can see desk jobs being easier on the commute for sure.

we are heading over in 4wks to scope it out!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/10/2018 at 20:04, Ronsaik said:

That's an epic commute, you'll be back home by around 7:30 PM? Perhaps a few days towards 8 PM and you have to start all over again at 5 the following day. A mate lives near Bateau Bay and it's a similar commute to him. I know someone who drives down to Artarmon daily.

It can be done but not for everyone I think. I personally wouldn't be able to do it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/10/2018 at 16:01, Ahames said:

My husband said about Hornsby, so we are looking around that area. do you know wheee we can look into schools? Are there websites that we can use?

Hello

Well I don't like Hornsby itself to live in; but Hornsby Heights is nice, as is Galston.

There there are some excellent schools in the area for both boys and girls. 

https://www.schoolchoice.com.au