Cook assessment and English test for 489

jazzdavis

Hi Everyone, 

I'm going to apply for the 489 visa and I need to do the skills assessment test. (Strangely, I can't find where to take it in Canada, Vetassess does not do them in CA). I was hoping someone could tell me what it was like doing a cook assessment. I work better if I'm mentally prepared for the questions that will come my way. Can anyone remember what kinds of questions they were asked. If they were asked about food safety, temperatures, cooking techniques and methods? How much was it for the skills test? 

And for the English test. Were there a lot of grammar questions. Did you have to write an essay. Did the questions feel easy or tricky and was it multiple choice. 

Thank you for any insight with this! 🙂 

Don't know anything about the cook assessment.

If you only need 10 pts on the English to make 60 pts total, it won't matter what you take, it will be easy (I can tell by your writing you'll have no problem getting 10 pts). And they are taking chef's ASAP at 60+ points, so you don't have to care abut getting 70+ pts total. If you need 20 pts on English to make 60 total (minimum required), take the PTE-A, with a little prep it should be a breeze. The IELTS written section is a scam... to 'reliably' score in the top band you'd have to be a professional writer.

Ok thank you. Thanks for this advice. I wasn't keen on losing 400 CA on a failed English test when I'm a native English speaker. For anyone else seeing this thread, here is the link for PTE-A. 

https://pearsonpte.com/

It's cheaper than IELTS as well. And you can do a practice test on the site as well to get an idea of the questions. I must say, even for someone who writes and reads a lot, I had to really concentrate. 

Karstedt, when you did it do you remember the section about reading graphs? I found that part absurd, as that's more of a comprehension style question and leaves a lot of room for interpretation and error. I'm not very impressed with these tests. Being a native English speaker should be enough to get you into the country. But anyhow, it is what it is. Do you remember how long the test was? Thanks! 

3 hours ago, jazzdavis said:

Ok thank you. Thanks for this advice. I wasn't keen on losing 400 CA on a failed English test when I'm a native English speaker. For anyone else seeing this thread, here is the link for PTE-A. 

It's cheaper than IELTS as well. And you can do a practice test on the site as well to get an idea of the questions. I must say, even for someone who writes and reads a lot, I had to really concentrate. 

Karstedt, when you did it do you remember the section about reading graphs? I found that part absurd, as that's more of a comprehension style question and leaves a lot of room for interpretation and error. I'm not very impressed with these tests. Being a native English speaker should be enough to get you into the country. But anyhow, it is what it is. Do you remember how long the test was? Thanks! 

You don't have to write the tests if you don't need the points. If you are from UK, USA, Canada, NZ etc, you don't have to take the tests unless you need the points. Fair enough I would say as even native speakers struggle to get a score of 7 or 8 in all bands in IELTS. I am not a native speaker and I was easily able to get 7 in all bands, not once but twice. You should have no issues.  

1 minute ago, jazzdavis said:

Hi there, are you sure about that? I think the English test is required. Can anyone confirm this please. thanks

English test for immigration is not required unless you need the points if you belong to one of those countries but skills assessment are different. You might require English Tests for assessment based on the job you are getting assessed on. So I cannot comment on that. 

Yes, it does look as if that is true. Thanks! Second question then. How much does the skills assessment cost for cooks and how hard is it? Are they very strict about the kind of experience you have? I have been a cook on yachts for 10 years but it's not been in a commercial cooking setting (ie. restaurant) so will that be ok for me? 

5 minutes ago, jazzdavis said:

Yes, it does look as if that is true. Thanks! Second question then. How much does the skills assessment cost for cooks and how hard is it? Are they very strict about the kind of experience you have? I have been a cook on yachts for 10 years but it's not been in a commercial cooking setting (ie. restaurant) so will that be ok for me? 

Don't know about assessment for Cooks but I am sure there will be other helpful members who will chime in with their experience soon. You should be able to get information about the costs and process/experience in the assessing authority website though.

Thanks. I've taken two points assessments. One on this website that gives me 85 points. https://assessments.visabureau.com/australia/assessment/skilled/default.aspx?s_cid=20198846&r_url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.google.co.uk%2f

And then on this website it says that my points only add up to 65 and that 65 is all you need. But I've read from different sources that they don't accept you unless you have 90 points? So I find the points misinformation very confusing. 

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-

Can anyone clarify that pls?

Wow, I just called vetassess and 1. They don't have offices in Canada and 2. It costs 1600 for the initial stage of them deciding if your experience is valid, the second stage costs another 1500 just for a telephone interview. Ouch. I think that is on top of the 3700$ for the visa itself? 

30 minutes ago, jazzdavis said:

Thanks. I've taken two points assessments. One on this website that gives me 85 points. https://assessments.visabureau.com/australia/assessment/skilled/default.aspx?s_cid=20198846&r_url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.google.co.uk%2f

And then on this website it says that my points only add up to 65 and that 65 is all you need. But I've read from different sources that they don't accept you unless you have 90 points? So I find the points misinformation very confusing. 

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-

Can anyone clarify that pls?

489 visa is a regional visa and every state will have their own requirements and points needed for a specific occupation. You would need to go to the individual state websites to see their requirement. For 189 or 190 visa the minimum required points are 65 but again people with less than 70 or 75 points haven't been getting invited recently. Applying for 489 and getting accepted gives you 10 points on top of what you already have and 190 visa gives you 5 points. 

6 minutes ago, jazzdavis said:

Wow, I just called vetassess and 1. They don't have offices in Canada and 2. It costs 1600 for the initial stage of them deciding if your experience is valid, the second stage costs another 1500 just for a telephone interview. Ouch. I think that is on top of the 3700$ for the visa itself? 

Australian immigration is not cheap and it can cost up to AU 10,000 for the overall process and the move itself. If you are with a family, it will cost even more. So you should make sure you have all the necessary information before you proceed with the application.

On 07/10/2018 at 16:51, path2aus said:

489 visa is a regional visa and every state will have their own requirements and points needed for a specific occupation. You would need to go to the individual state websites to see their requirement. For 189 or 190 visa the minimum required points are 65 but again people with less than 70 or 75 points haven't been getting invited recently. Applying for 489 and getting accepted gives you 10 points on top of what you already have and 190 visa gives you 5 points. 

He's a chef though... NSW at least is nominating chefs at 60+5 pts ASAP.

On 07/10/2018 at 11:57, jazzdavis said:

I vaguely remember the graph... I'm used to graphs though, science background. It's just like, 'this graph shows the relationship between X and Y. It indicates blah blah blah...'. Take a second to understand it so you aren't just reading the labels. It's not nearly as absurd as what you can get on the IELTS written portion. E.G., here is a picture of two rocks, write a short essay describing the differences... and you are marked on use of complex language, vocabulary and use of idioms. Unless you are a geologist you'll be like, 'one looks like it has more jagged edges... and uneven... ummmm... it looks hard. The other one is rounder... and uhhhh.... fuck this question'.

PTE was 90 minutes... maybe 120, hard to remeber. There is an optional break. After you give a spoken answer on the short answer speaking questions, click next/done. If you wait for the timer you will waste time on all the little questions only requiring you to say a few words or read a sentence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2018 at 04:51, jazzdavis said:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm going to apply for the 489 visa and I need to do the skills assessment test. (Strangely, I can't find where to take it in Canada, Vetassess does not do them in CA). I was hoping someone could tell me what it was like doing a cook assessment. I work better if I'm mentally prepared for the questions that will come my way. Can anyone remember what kinds of questions they were asked. If they were asked about food safety, temperatures, cooking techniques and methods? How much was it for the skills test? 

And for the English test. Were there a lot of grammar questions. Did you have to write an essay. Did the questions feel easy or tricky and was it multiple choice. 

Thank you for any insight with this! 🙂 

The minimum score at the moment have increased to 65 points and you need competent english- 6 in all bands. Please visit Trades Recognition Australia for more info on skills assessment. 

Like others have mentioned, if you have 60 pts +5 for 190 state sponsorship you will be invited ASAP by NSW as a Cook. 

For the PTE, you should really study the format and question sequencing of the test. I took it a few months ago and thought I would be good to go but ended up with a result lower than I needed. I scored high 80s in reading and listening, 90 in speaking, 90 in all the enabling skills but 78 in writing. That was pretty hard to stomach.